Mediacom threatening to Ban my IP

Noah3

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I got online today and there was a Warning across the top of my screen stating something about copyright infringement.

I called them to see what was up, and they said typically they have a list of violations, but there was nothing there. They said I could not talk to the department that can walk me through solutions until my account is flagged again, but then they told me sometimes the flags come one after another and by the time you get a warning the next 2 steps are already in the process and then you are banned for life.

I am thinking of just cancelling service and reinstating in my name (it is in my wife's name now)

The question I have is.. Is there any sure safe way to get torrents without setting off whatever it is they have in place @ my ISP?

1) Use an offsite torrent box (preferably outside the US). Then you can download the torrents from that box however you choose, but using a secure method prevents inspection of the data (although they aren't supposed to be doing that).

2) Use a secure vpn if your tracker supports VPNs. This method is a bit harder to set up, but is quicker as the download still comes straight to your machine instead of having to download to an offsite box then again to your machine. Some trackers don't support a VPN though (if you use a private tracker) which could result in your stats being wrong or even your account with that tracker getting banned.

Personally I use the first method, and I could suggest ultraseedbox.com as a descent offsite torrent box. Descent bandwidth allowance and features for the cost. Their download speeds are awesome. The upload speeds aren't as good but are adequate if you aren't in a hurry to get a ton of upload credit.

Thank you very much.

I am looking into this now.

I was under the impression that private trackers, such as RevTT and IPT, weren't detectable. Am I wrong?

I was under the impression that private trackers, such as RevTT and IPT, weren't detectable. Am I wrong?

Nothing about a private tracker prevents it from being trackable that I'm aware of. All they have to do is set up an account on the tracker, and download the torrents and look at the peers to see what IP addresses are uploading.

Private trackers may be better about banning the accounts that they figure out are doing that, but there is nothing I'm aware of that completely prevents it.

The one warning I ever received before I started using offsite torrent boxes came from leaving an episode of The Big Bang theory uploading overnight from an IPT tracker.

Also, offsite torrent boxes make it easier to maintain a high ratio by leading stuff uploading all the time.

Last edited:
I use newsgroups instead of bit torrents for the most part, and I use a european server to dl from (Astraweb). Also, your bandwidth is never throttled relying on p2p, with newsgroups you can download something much quicker.

YMMV, but it doesn't hurt to lock down your torrent box as much as possible. E.g., I turn off adding any trackers via any other way than the tracker itself, turn off DHT, turn on encryption, and use peerblock anti-p2p any non-http, and only ever use/share via private trackers.

I've done this for years and never had a warning, but like I said, YMMV - nothing is perfect.

Hiding it completely by using an outside method would be a good solution, I've just never had the need to do so (and I download a shit ton of stuff, and have thousands of torrents sharing).

Just a few suggestions. BTW, make sure you use a supported/allowed bt app for your private trackers, that is at least advanced enough to allow you to modify all the settings I am talking about. Keeping it simple is great, but not if it doesn't let you modify any/all security/sharing/etc. settings.

Good luck!

htw

I use https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
been using them for years, I don't really care about torrents, I download some tv shows now and then but since I have Netflix its nice to be able to select a us server when I'm traveling abroad.
Anyway, pick a good vpn provider that has servers in many different countries and you can torrent or whatever as much as u like, not even your isp will know what sites u visit and what content you download.

Even if not torrenting its still wise to use a VPN in this day and age if you value your privacy even the slightest...

Does the VPN make using EQBC harder? or easy to change according to what they give you..

Alos just curious,, how much , if any, does this slow down browsing?

If I am understanding all this VPN Stuff, you go to online and type MMO, and instead of coming right here, it tells this other place I want to go there and then it goes there, and then puts me there?

Please do not get me wrong, I really want to use this VPN, and I really Appreciate all the great feedback... I just want to know what exactly I will have to look forward too, if there be any complications for me being that I am not the fastest he it comes to all the coding stuff and ip stuff.. and also will it slow anything down or not, or hardly noticeable

Thank you all so much. ?

Last edited:
Any time you torrent you want to be behind a VPN. VPN will shield you for any of these notices and potentially save you from lawsuits down the road. A friend was caught downloading and of course his provider passed over his information and settled it by paying $2500. PIA, IPVanish, EarthVPN are some good ones I have used. Cost roughly $5/month for it but well worth the protection.

As far as the speed, connecting to the VPN does cut down some speed on downloading because it is routing to another location and then to you. Most of the speed loss is due to the capacity on how many users on it.

If your going to download using your connection, I would suggest getting a very cheap pc and just connecting hard drives to it for storage. Add VPN on it which will be running at all times and then you can grab the files locally. depends on your preference of unix base, or windows. Unix use rutorrent, or transmission or windows use Utorrent which has the webUI portion so you can add/manage your torrent through the browser.

I would be very wary on putting on VPN on your gaming PC's as EQ does block a lot of VPN providers unless they have a P2P option. DBG blocks the connections so you can't even connect.

Let me know if you want more information and we can talk.

You can add the route for the EQ login/game server(s) so it bypasses the VPN interface.

htw