Installing Bugs on non-OS HDD?

Zeta1

Reaction score
Due to lack of space on my primary HDD (75GB Raptor), I figured I'd try to move EQ over to my secondary storage HDD (500GB Caviar Black). My Win7 64bit OS is installed on the Raptor.

EQ installed on the storage drive without MQ2 loaded runs just fine. However, with MQ2 loaded I receive an error. After server select and before character select, the client crashes and a window pops up stating: "Error in your GUI XML files. Check UIErrors.txt". UIErrors.txt contains:

Code:
UIErrorLog created at Wed Jul 25 18:03:42 2012
[Wed Jul 25 18:03:42 2012] Warning: file MQUI.xml not found in directory UIFiles\Default\.  Attempting to use file from Default skin.
[Wed Jul 25 18:03:42 2012] Couldn't open or read UIFiles\Default\MQUI.xml
[Wed Jul 25 18:03:42 2012] Error reading XML.
[Wed Jul 25 18:03:42 2012] Error reading XML.

I've tried this with both an MMOBugs install on the OS HDD and with an install on the storage HDD. Both result in the same error.

TLDR:

EQ and MQ2 both installed on C drive = works fine
EQ installed on S drive (without MQ2 loaded) = works fine
EQ installed on S drive and MQ2 installed on either C or S drive = does not work

Has anyone else run into this problem or happen to know what might be causing it?

On this dev machine, I have EQ on the R: drive, and MQ2 on C:. I just tried copying MQ2 over to R:, and it works fine also.

On a laptop, I have MQ2 on C:, EQ on D:, and works fine. I copied MQ2 to D:, still works fine.

MQUI.xml is created by MQ2. It checks the attached process (eqgame.exe) to find where to write that, i.e., <wherever eqgame.exe is>\UIFiles\Default

MQ2 will need full access to the EQ directory, and all subdirectories.
I am assuming you are using mmoloader here. If not, then you need to run MQ2 as admin.
Also, make sure your 'start in' location for EQ is set, so it can get the entire path - just in case. That's for your shortcut. I don't know enough information to go any further, if you continue to see this, post in the debug thread so I have the information (such as using loader, updated, using wineq2, etc.).

htw

Yea I can verify it works. I run MQ from drive D, I run EQ from drive E, and I run innerspace on drive C, and i havent had any problems at all.

Thanks for the help, htw. I tried a few things you mentioned: setting MMOLoader.exe as admin, changing the "start in" path, and double-checking my S drive to allow MQ2 access to the EQ folder. None of them worked, however.

I'll post in the debug thread in just a minute.

Thanks for the input, Brano. I'm guessing it has something to do with my retarded Win7 settings. I am running everything as Admin (I only have a single Admin account, no other user accounts) so I'm not sure what is wrong...probably an obscure setting =/

Did you copy you both folders or do clean installs?

what about your mmoini?

I posted it here: http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/195110-post5.html

but I doubt it's very relevant to this problem.

I've sort of narrowed the problem down. In my original list of permutations, I didn't have a C-Drive-EQ + S-Drive-MQ. That combination works. So...

EQ(C) + MQ(C) = works
EQ(C) + MQ(S) = works

EQ(S) + MQ(C) = doesn't work
EQ(S) + MQ(S) = doesn't work

It appears the issue is EQ running off the S drive. I'll try a fresh install (not just a copy/paste) and see if that works.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Last edited:
No luck. Tried a fresh install on the S drive via Sony EQ installer package and got the same error.

It's something about EQ being on the S drive that MQ doesn't like (regardless of what drive MQ is running on).

Again, EQ runs just fine via S drive without MQ running.

Check the directory EQ is in on S to make sure there are no Read-Only locks on it. That was the first thing that came to mind reading this. I have basically the same setup as Brano (all three on different drives) and have never had an issue.

yea I would guess that as long as the MQini points everything to the correct place that you have a permissions issue. in win7 not usually but in vista can happen. You need to take ownership of the directory and all sub directories.