Help with overheating laptop

Quackanator

Reaction score
Hey there was wondering if anyone boxing on a laptop might have a suggestion as to why mine seems to be overheating? Happens only with EQ not with any other game.

I could run five instances on old laptop without any issue but I recently upgraded laptops my shiny new laptop starts to overheat running two and at three instances my fingers are getting toasty.
Its a HP dv7 notebook, i7-361QM @ 2.30 GHz gig RAM, GT650M 2GB vidcard running win 7 64 bit. Have 2x 1TB HDD with EQ has its own 50Gb partition and the laptop sits on a cooler.

Just one instance of EQ and the cores are at 60 degrees centigrade and when running 3 instances they push 90, cores are rated to 105 degrees apparently but I'd rather not ruin the laptop. I use isboxer to allocate cores to each instance of EQ and performance isnt really an issue, just the heat.
Possibly might swap the second HDD for an SSD but cant figure what has made the dam thing overheat so much. Dropped all settings to min, killed most of the luclin models, no sound all EQ graphic settings off of minimum and I do all the regular windows updates etc etc

Anyone help/observations suggestions would be welcome.

Graphics card overheats mine like a bitch. NVIDIA cards seem to run hot. I got a cooling pad that worked well. has 3 fans. its super effective!

I'm not too familar with the HP laptops lately, I used to be but my clients had some bad experiences so I don't recommend them anymore.
I've got an Asus with an i7 and it get's hot to. The thing with laptops is everything is so confined inside them there really is no where for the heat to go.
The laptop coolers are okay, and they do work, but some can be noisy.
The only other thing I could suggest is crack it open and make sure there isn't dust built up by the fans. I have pulled a couple fur sweaters out of laptops in the past that had been heating up, but if it's new that likely isn't the cause

i7 and Nvidia top end card in a laptop? Wow.. I hope it has water cooling too..

I have the same laptop i dont have this issue.

i7 and Nvidia top end card in a laptop? Wow.. I hope it has water cooling too..

lol water cooling in a laptop.. I wish :/ t instances runnig now and cores are at a toasty 88degrees C. wish there was a way to identify what was the part that was causing the problem.

It is comparatively loud having the cooling pad vs not using one, but my laptop went from literally burning my skin (i had burn marks on my legs when i actually sat with it) to being cool to the touch after using it.