Help setting up EQBC?

camvyss

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm sure this has been addressed many thousands of times. I did do a searrch but after reading the first 12 pages I gave up.

My querie goes a little like this;

I have a PC at home that I usually box all of my accounts on. This PC has EQBC running on it.

I have bound EQBC to my IP of 192.168.2.11

Other computers on my internal network can connect to EQBC and control my characters (I tested with the GUI on my laptop).

My home network looks like this;

EverQuest PC (192.168.2.11) -- Wireless Link-- Wireless Router (192.168.2.1) --CAT5 Cable-- ADSL Modem (10.0.0.1) --Internet--

I have my external IP (121.X.X.X) but I am at a loss how to get a remote connection through my mess.

I am fairly confident (say about 60%) that I have all ports open on both the Router and the Modem. I test this by using my torrent program's inbuilt port check, which tells me that it is open.

Can anyone offer a few pointers in what I should be looking for?

You would need access to the router, of have a router of your own. on one of those devices enable something called NAT (network address translation) It converts your external ip to the internal one.

You need to log into your router, and enable a port forward rule for the port eqbc is listening on.

For example, if your port is 2112, on system 192.168.2.11, then you would tell the router to forward any connection to your public (external) IP on 2112, to 192.168.2.11 port 2112.

Also, on 192.168.2.11, make sure your firewall is allowing connections on that port from any address.

htw

You would need access to the router, of have a router of your own. on one of those devices enable something called NAT (network address translation) It converts your external ip to the internal one.

NAT is enabled on the Router and there is no reason I would have ever turned it off. My network has been working perfectly fine for years like this. I have just never tried to look into my network from the outside before.

You need to log into your router, and enable a port forward rule for the port eqbc is listening on.

For example, if your port is 2112, on system 192.168.2.11, then you would tell the router to forward any connection to your public (external) IP on 2112, to 192.168.2.11 port 2112.

Also, on 192.168.2.11, make sure your firewall is allowing connections on that port from any address.

htw

The Router (not the Modem) does not have an IP routing table. It does however have a setting called Virtual Servers, which appears to be the same thing. Currently like I said I have ports 1-65535 opened for 192.168.2.11.

I have port 2112 open on the Modem also, although admittedly I had only TCP, now I have added UDP also.

If you are forwarding all those ports to the PC, then only reason it wouldn't work is maybe firewall.

Verify these:

1) mq2eqbcs.exe is listening on all interfaces (0.0.0.0), or 192.168.2.11. (NOT 127.0.0.1)
2) verify what port it is listening on
3) Check your firewall rules - allow all connections on that port (btw, which firewall do you use?)

Also, while opening up UDP is fine, it doesn't use it - only TCP on whatever port you defined in the .ini, or used on the cmd line.

htw

If you are forwarding all those ports to the PC, then only reason it wouldn't work is maybe firewall.

Verify these:

1) mq2eqbcs.exe is listening on all interfaces (0.0.0.0), or 192.168.2.11. (NOT 127.0.0.1)
2) verify what port it is listening on
3) Check your firewall rules - allow all connections on that port (btw, which firewall do you use?)

Also, while opening up UDP is fine, it doesn't use it - only TCP on whatever port you defined in the .ini, or used on the cmd line.

htw

Thank you for sticking with me on this htw, I really would like to get it sorted. Ok:

1) EQBCS is set (via the right click option on MMOLoader to 192.168.2.11
2) Port is set as standard 2112
3) I don't actually use a Firewall on the PC. I used to use Norton but ofcourse it was a hacked copy and constantly required uninstalling and reinstalling after a manual Registry cleanout. Windows Firewall is disabled also.

I'm pretty confident there is a Firewall on the Router (I'm not at home right now to check), also pretty confident that it operates off the Route settings for Virtual Server.

To help further the equipment is;

Router: Belkin 54g (The 125Mb/s Turbo Model)
Modem: Speedtouch 500

Yes I know stoneage. But like I said earlier I have been using them fine for years for the everday stuff. I've never tried to delve further into it.

** NOTE ** I was trying to test this by using my external IP and attempting to connect from the Laptop (which was on the Home Network) out and back in again.

I tried pinging my Home Network from work but am recieving no response. I assume therefore that I have to open some ports at work also.

Last edited:
HOLY SHIT

I just tried connecting again from work using the EQBC GUI and it worked!

I'm in shock and have no idea how or why it just started working. Thank you for the help guys. I'm assuming it was something we did but I don't know what.

Hey gang, sorry to dredge up this older post but I am trying to connect with another's machine, across the country. Can someone tell me what he would have to input (and where) to start a connection to my eqbc server. My box is running on 192.168.0.197, port 2112. I believe that I have my box setup to forward the port from my DLink router (DIR-655) to my box. I'm just stupid knowing that my actual ip has to be pinged before it can be redirected. anyone able to help me out?
Thanx in advance
militarebear

make sure the eqbcs application is opened with the admin. option.

not joining me ((( Does anyone have familiarity with the DLink Router, model DIR-655 that could assist me in making sure that I am set up correctly? I know this is pita stuff but I would certainly appreciate the help. )) We can go to pm if need be. ))
militarebear

OK having the same issues, I open my firewall, software I use Vipre from sunbelt, I went into my 2wire modem? and went into the firewall and added MQ2EQBC as a exe to allow through added port 2112. Anyways tried to follow all the advise.

Results:

when the little box come up

first line says bind: no errors
second line says listen: no errors
third line EQBCS (EQ Box Chat Server) 1.2.i2
Waiting for connections on port: 2112...

when I go in game and type /bc nothing happens, get a game error, in game chat box

please have patients with me went to WOW for a 1.5 years, and got board except for pvp, figure the free play was a good time to come back to EQ to see whats up. Just trying to get all my old macros and stuff going and lots have changed.

So in my software I go to firewall edit, Firewall Exceptions, ports, Add, port exception, MQ2EQBCS, ports 2112, type port, protocol TCP, and

in my 2wire I created an allowed application for MQ2EQBCS on port 2112.

in the MMOLoader I still have it port 2112, bind to ip 127.0.0.1,

I box 6 via wineq, on 1 machine

Any help would be cool

OK having the same issues, I open my firewall, software I use Vipre from sunbelt, I went into my 2wire modem? and went into the firewall and added MQ2EQBC as a exe to allow through added port 2112. Anyways tried to follow all the advise.

Results:

when I go in game and type /bc nothing happens, get a game error, in game chat box

please have patients with me went to WOW for a 1.5 years, and got board except for pvp, figure the free play was a good time to come back to EQ to see whats up. Just trying to get all my old macros and stuff going and lots have changed.

So in my software I go to firewall edit, Firewall Exceptions, ports, Add, port exception, MQ2EQBCS, ports 2112, type port, protocol TCP, and

Any help would be cool

If your running all your EQ accounts off the same PC (and no one else is trying to connect to your EQBC server), you don't need to set exceptions for your router/modem and such.

Are you telling your characters to connect to the server? In game type:
/bccmd connect 127.0.0.1 2112

Check out the wiki page for more commands: MQ2EQBC

You can also edit the MQ2EQBC.ini file and add the entries (if they aren't already there) to have it auto connect when you log a character in to avoid having to manually connect each time.

My MQ2EQBC.ini
Code:
[Settings]
AutoConnect=1

[Last Connect]
Server=127.0.0.1
Port=2112

Last edited:
thanks

Results:

Any help would be cool

If your running all your EQ accounts off the same PC (and no one else is trying to connect to your EQBC server), you don't need to set exceptions for your router/modem and such.

Are you telling your characters to connect to the server? In game type:
/bccmd connect 127.0.0.1 2112

Check out the wiki page for more commands: MQ2EQBC

You can also edit the MQ2EQBC.ini file and add the entries (if they aren't already there) to have it auto connect when you log a character in to avoid having to manually connect each time.

My MQ2EQBC.ini
Code:
[Settings]
AutoConnect=1

[Last Connect]
Server=127.0.0.1
Port=2112

thanks! I will try that. Nice to know this is still a cool place, with some good peeps

when I type /bccmd connect 127.0.0.1 2112 is says

DoCommand-couldn't parse /bccmd connect 127.0.0.1 2112

tried typing into mq and game box = nada

Does mq2eqbc show when you do in game
/plugin list

If not, /plugin mq2eqbc
and try to connect again

Hell Yeah! Right ON! Thanks thought I click in the plugin screen.....thought wrong.

Thanks!

for computers not in your network to connect:
portforward.com

great site but wouldn't help much for this instance other then to show you how to work your routers forwarding options. Actually with the loader (rclick loader Options>EQBC>>PORT) Default port being 2112 which eqbc works through. You would then need that port forwarded for others to connect or if you choose to change it as i do then you have to forward that port that you've changed it to. Of coarse this would be forwarded to the internal ip of the host computer, the one running eqbc. Id also make your host computer have a static internal ip assigned by your router so your forwarded ports always work. multiple computers on a network with no static ip assigned the router will assign it an ip wich may not be the correct one set to the forwarded port.