Help- Is this a WoW Scam?!

Alexandra

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Hi,

I just got this email for our WoW account.

We did not request an email change, so it appears someone is trying to hack the account again, or could this just be a scam?

Not sure how to proceed...

Hello,

Blizzard Entertainment recently received a request to change the e-mail address used to log in to the Battle.net account with the username xxxxx@comcast.net (our email now). The e-mail address k***@hotmail.com has been specified as the new username for this Battle.net account. An email has been sent to this new address containing a verification link to complete the change.

Once the new address has been verified, the e-mail address XXXX@comcast.net can no longer be used to log in to this Battle.net account or any World of Warcraft accounts merged with this Battle.net account.

If you did not initiate this request, please click here to contact the Blizzard Billing & Account Services team immediately.

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy

MessageID kajirsvimugiz4q7pvfb7pbi

In all my time playing wow back int he days i have never seen a battle whatever it was link i would goto the actually wow website which is where i changed my infos/checked them i would go there and get into live chat and give them the link but imo its a scam

Site's a fake - abort! Same type of phishing e-mail that hit Sony in the last few weeks from the looks of it . . .

Ok whew, thanks! I didn't access it, how sad, why are people after WoW accounts so bad?

No one has ever tried to steal my EQ accounts :eek:

If you are ever questioning something to be a scam, 99% of the time it is.

yeah I was half asleep when I read the email, and my initial reaction is to access the link to verify we did not make the change! Fiance' was sleeping and I was panicked we'd have to go through account retrievel again.

On looking at the site I started to question it ...I'm just curious how they got the email linked to our account.

i dont even have a wow account ahd got that email like 20 times

Ok whew, thanks! I didn't access it, how sad, why are people after WoW accounts so bad?

No one has ever tried to steal my EQ accounts :eek:

The RMT market is making bucko bucks off gold on WoW alone. Someone I know who currently plays just had his account compromised (and he's computer savvy). When he reported his claim to a GM, they had told him about 267 other accounts that day were reported hacked as well.

Blizzard is a big company. I would not be surprised if they've someone on the inside "assisting" those in the RMT industry. It would be hell of a profit. Certainly hope they do something to fix security otherwise it will be the downfall of that game.

Note: Anything you do to your account should be done under the battle.net address and ONLY on that address. All the systems are now under battle.net. If you are accessing anything anywhere else, stay frosty.

Last edited:
These phishing emails are pretty close to looking legit these days, I remember when they use to have a ton of spelling/grammer errors. One thing I do is google the email address when I see something fishy, if its a scam the first page on google will show it.

On looking at the site I started to question it ...I'm just curious how they got the email linked to our account.
Dunno how these guys operate but I imagine they mine email addresses from gaming sites and they send out the fake emails to all those accounts and they're bound to hit some WoW accounts.

Yep, scam.

Funny thing - I've been receiving this e-mail at my work address about every 2 hours or so. Annoying shits...blackberry going off all the time as it is.

Yeah i must get emails all the time, bloody annoying!!

funny thing about the wow e-mails is i have never played the dam game and i get though e-mails

funny thing about the wow e-mails is i have never played the dam game and i get though e-mails
S'pkay. I get emails all the time from banks I don't do business with asking me to verify the security of my On Line Banking account. Go figure.

Reported Web Forgery!

This web page at eu.worldofwarcraft.requestverify.us has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.

Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.

I can't believe they attempt to do that honestly, but the chances of them being caught and prosecuted are slim to none I bet.

This is the first time I received any email like this, the account they sent it to is only used for very few things, more important things for us, so for some reason it barely gets any spam

I have to admit I almost fell for it, the links on the page all work and look just like battlenet. :rolleyes: I'll just claim this as a very blonde moment :D

Reported Web Forgery!

This web page at eu.worldofwarcraft.requestverify.us has been reported as a web forgery and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Web forgeries are designed to trick you into revealing personal or financial information by imitating sources you may trust.

Entering any information on this web page may result in identity theft or other fraud.

Good!

I don't know if they'll ever be able to stop all the account theft in WOW. I just got mine back on the 27th of this month and it got jacked the 18th of june.

Easiest way to tell if you are ever in doubt is look at the 2nd to last part of the domain name. In the link you gave

eu.worldofwarcraft.requestverify.us

The actual domain of this website is requestverify.us

The eu.worldofwarcraft. part is just a site sub domain. You cannot put a sub domain, after you primary domain in an address, it just isn't possible with DNS routing and such.

The whois information on that domain is below. It's probably fake data, unless the scammer is really stupid. But I highly doubt Blizzard would have a domain registered as "Government of India" hehe.

Code:
Domain Name:                                 REQUESTVERIFY.US
Domain ID:                                   D28426614-US
Sponsoring Registrar:                        DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Registrar URL (registration services):       www.publicdomainregistry.com
Domain Status:                               clientTransferProhibited
Registrant ID:                               DI_9999542
Registrant Name:                             Government of India
Registrant Organization:                     RESERVED NAME
Registrant Address1:                         ERNET India, 6 CGO Complex, Lodi Road
Registrant Address2:                         New Delhi
Registrant City:                             New Delhi
Registrant State/Province:                   Nagaland
Registrant Postal Code:                      110003
Registrant Country:                          India
Registrant Country Code:                     IN
Registrant Phone Number:                     +91.1124361895
Registrant Facsimile Number:                 +91.1124361895
Registrant Email:                            amar@ernet.in
Registrant Application Purpose:              P1
Registrant Nexus Category:                   C31/IN
Administrative Contact ID:                   DI_9999542
Administrative Contact Name:                 Government of India
Administrative Contact Organization:         RESERVED NAME
Administrative Contact Address1:             ERNET India, 6 CGO Complex, Lodi Road
Administrative Contact Address2:             New Delhi
Administrative Contact City:                 New Delhi
Administrative Contact State/Province:       Nagaland
Administrative Contact Postal Code:          110003
Administrative Contact Country:              India
Administrative Contact Country Code:         IN
Administrative Contact Phone Number:         +91.1124361895
Administrative Contact Facsimile Number:     +91.1124361895
Administrative Contact Email:                amar@ernet.in
Administrative Application Purpose:          P1
Administrative Nexus Category:               C31/IN
Billing Contact ID:                          DI_9999542
Billing Contact Name:                        Government of India
Billing Contact Organization:                RESERVED NAME
Billing Contact Address1:                    ERNET India, 6 CGO Complex, Lodi Road
Billing Contact Address2:                    New Delhi
Billing Contact City:                        New Delhi
Billing Contact State/Province:              Nagaland
Billing Contact Postal Code:                 110003
Billing Contact Country:                     India
Billing Contact Country Code:                IN
Billing Contact Phone Number:                +91.1124361895
Billing Contact Facsimile Number:            +91.1124361895
Billing Contact Email:                       amar@ernet.in
Billing Application Purpose:                 P1
Billing Nexus Category:                      C31/IN
Technical Contact ID:                        DI_9999542
Technical Contact Name:                      Government of India
Technical Contact Organization:              RESERVED NAME
Technical Contact Address1:                  ERNET India, 6 CGO Complex, Lodi Road
Technical Contact Address2:                  New Delhi
Technical Contact City:                      New Delhi
Technical Contact State/Province:            Nagaland
Technical Contact Postal Code:               110003
Technical Contact Country:                   India
Technical Contact Country Code:              IN
Technical Contact Phone Number:              +91.1124361895
Technical Contact Facsimile Number:          +91.1124361895
Technical Contact Email:                     amar@ernet.in
Technical Application Purpose:               P1
Technical Nexus Category:                    C31/IN
Name Server:                                 NS3.DNS-CHINA.COM
Name Server:                                 NS4.DNS-CHINA.COM
Created by Registrar:                        DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Last Updated by Registrar:                   DIRECTI INTERNET SOLUTIONS PVT. LTD. D/B/A PUBLICDOMAINREGISTRY.COM
Domain Registration Date:                    Thu Jul 29 17:37:09 GMT 2010
Domain Expiration Date:                      Thu Jul 28 23:59:59 GMT 2011
Domain Last Updated Date:                    Thu Jul 29 17:37:09 GMT 2010