Gabby Giffords

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Let's get the obligatory lamentations over with about how tragic and criminal was the shooting of Gabby Giffords, the Arizona congresswoman, by that nutjob last year. (That photo they use of him all the time is going to be great evidence for an insanity defense, that's for sure. Gotta love the media for taking the lazy man's way of using and re-using the same overworked photo over and over but that's a rant for another day.)

I can't stomach Diane Sawyer enough to sit thru a whole hour of her politically correct whiney drivel so I was unable to last until Gabby was actually seen "talking." (Yeah, I know she can "fix" hair so if that ever becomes a key duty of our Congressional representatives, then she's all set.) But I have seen some Internet postings (very very few, I wonder if a lot of them get deleted as "inappropriate" or "offensive") that the best she could do is hammer out single words, usually when heavily prompted, and totally incapable of rendering any kind of meaningful, complete or grammatically accurate sentence, even a short one (for example, "I like kitties.")

One forum indicated that the short talking part of the interview had been posted on YouTube so I went there eager to see it only to discover the liberales at YT had already removed them as "inappropriate material." Funny, cuz networks tend to LOVE having brief segments of their news shows posted up by fans. /ponder

Now I hear on my local radio that there are no plans for Gabby to resign from office and, incredibly, at the moment there is no indication that she will NOT run for re-election in 2012. Amazingly, there is NO mechanism in Arizona to prevent a seriously disabled and incommunicative individual from being elected to high federal office even if she is incapable of ever participating in debates or making any kind of meaningful contribution to legislation.

Yes, I realize that between now and next November she may improve. Perhaps "I love kitties" will come from her mouth---even UNprompted. But is that sufficiently intellectual capability to hold an important federal office during the challenges inevitably facing us in the next few years.

What I hope, and it's probably a forlorn hope, is that SOMEONE in Arizona will actually point out that this "empress" has no clothes. Then maybe the general informal banning of all discussion of her probably permanent and crippling disability will allow reasonable people to raise options to provide some kind of proper representation for the people in her district.

I don't live in Arizona so other than being a fellow American this is no skin off my teeth. But I do think society is heading to the hopper when political correctedness and political bias (she's a liberal Democrat, after all) coupled with the depressing cowardice of her potential Republican opponents, permits a situation like this to fester seemingly indefinitely.

Hell, it would be a big step forward if someone suggested a cutoff date by which she'd have to meet a certain minimum test level of competence the failing of which would lead her to withdraw. This would shut up people like me and give others who might want to run for her office a chance to do some advance work.

Some days I just don't know who is the crazy one... me or someone else! Or maybe it's that girl in an elf suit who crawls along my ceiling every night carrying the sparkly wand... :eek:

Last edited:
I have to agree with you.

What happened to her was tragic and shitty but if you are unable to perform your elected duty, you need to do the right thing and step aside so someone else can come in and do them. Granted even with her inability to speak she's still probably better than the vast majority of the other useless politicians.

Nothing remotely as tragic ever happened to Nancy pelosi, yet she's still there. Still going on about how legistlation is like a refridgerator, we need to vote it into law to see what's in it.

So allowing Gabby Giffords to remain in Congress, after her tragic accident, surprises you how?

I've nothing but deepest sympathy for her. Regardless your political affinity, no one deserves to be struck down that way. That said, however, if she were employed anywhere else she'd be forcibly retired on some sort of disability.

Only in Congress do people who are totally incapable get to not only keep their jobs, but consider renewing their contracts.

And we wonder why the country is in the mess it's in today....

Someone with a significant portion of their brain missing getting re-elected to congress? Doesn't that happen every election?

lol

get ridda all the frickin demo's there ruining our country

She's a good friend of mine. I ran into her yesterday and asked her about her thoughts. She said: "RAAAAAAAAAAAAAR FRANK N BEANS DON'T GET ON MY TATERS"

Take that as you will.

If anybody's messed up the educational system in this country it's liberal Democrats, friend!