Fun and Games with Housing

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm gonna LOVE or HATE this new housing.

I do LOVE the notion of having tons of more storage space. Like most EQers I tend to be a packrat, saving practically everything, especially leftover no-drop quest items which I'm always afraid I will need again someday. (But don't ask me why I still have all 10 quest skins from the Devestation!)

I'm still trying to figure out if my new 3-room house with "300 items storage"really means I can store the equivalent of 30 10-slot bags worth of stuff from my bank account. Anyone know? And what the hell do "vaults" do?

I kinda LOVE, altho it's a little weird, how some people just leave their houses unlocked. LOL. I clicked on one door, expecting to be frozen out, and suddenly zoned right into somebody's house with the owner standing right there. I actually felt kinda embarassed, like some kind of peeping Tom!

I HATE the cookie-cutter "new suburb" look of the housing zone, and it's really lame that the zones all look the same regardless of which neighborhood you enter. If one is a Hollow, another a Hill and a third is a Meadow, then I'd expect at least some differences in design.

The suburbanness of these neighborhoods is kinda lame in an fantasy world immersive game like EQ. Altho some of the newness and sameness will go away when people start buying ornaments and other shit to put on their lawns.

Finally, I already see that houses on hills are going to be the first to sell. Most of the neighborhoods I visited still had plenty of plots for sale on "sea level" but almost every plot on a hill was sold. I suggest get your hill plot asap because those will go for premiums for resale eventually, especially if they don't open new neighborhoods until existing ones fill up completely.

A home on a hill IS nice.... kinda like being the lord of the manor in a medieval village. :D

hmm

Do they charge toy platinum for weekly or monthly "upkeep" costs???
Like they do in every other game that has housing system in it???

I'd have a heart attack if they did not.. cause it is another method for them to milk you of plat.

Vaults, in EQ2 at least, were small banks in your house. But you could allow others to access it. not just other toons on your account.
It was also a way for setting up venders in your house in EQ2. Let me delve into what I can remember from EQ2 Bazaar system:
There was no "Bazaar" zone. There were brokers in several big/popular zones in the city that you could access that they pretty much worked like the /bazaar window. Allowing you to sell and search. To put things fro sale you put the items in your house VAULT and set a price for them, then you could hit "Start Selling" button and it would list them for sale, which would then show up on the "brokers."
When buying, you could search the broker for the wares you wanted and then buy it from them, but the brokers charged a 10% commission ON TOP OF the sale price of the item. The broker would also list the location of the person selling the item. So you could look up their "address" and run to that zone, find the instance entrance for their house ( their version of neighborhoods) and go into that persons house ( really were more of appartments in EQ2) and but directly from that persons house/vener I forget how, but you bought it there for NO COMMISSION since you made the run.
They were big on faction in EQ2 so if you were Good Alignment and wanted to shop the evil sales, you had to go to the smuggler under the Qeynos Docks and buy from there for 20% commission.
This may be there upcoming change to the bazaar zone. Shopping from your home or from "Brokers" they may place in PoK and elsewhere.

The REALLY nice part of this was you did NOT need to have a toon logged in to have items listed for sale. When you would check your vault you would find all of the cash people spent on your goods.
No more seperate bazaar mule accounts when or logging in mules when camping for the night to keep items for sale. This could actually bite them in the butt since I know myself and several others all used to keep a separate account just for bazaar crap.

Sorry for any typos I missed, am travelling and writing this on a Netbook I've never used before.

That would be the only reason I would buy a house then. I kind of like that idea the more I think about it.

That would be the only reason I would buy a house then. I kind of like that idea the more I think about it.

It was a HUGE benefit, and even the cheapest home would allow it, so didnt have to pay out a lot in order to take advantage. EQ2 would also allow you to share privligaes with friends, not just same accounts, and vault access was somethign you COULD share, made transfers to alt accouts nice, as well as if getting a REAL bug nice house that you and some friends could share and decorate. I sharede my house with 2 RL friends, and it was pretty nice back in the day. Had every crafting station available, tons of pets walking around, epic weapons decorating the walls.
Seriously check youtube for EQ2 houses, some of the videos should be impressive. I remember a few were creatively decorated. I used to wast time just entering houses in the nice neighborhoods, that people would leave as open access. ( you could set the house as private to just you and friends, or open so all could wander through it). The nicest ones were always open to the public eye.

were you able to drop off and pick up items from other peoples vaults/houses? that'd be cool if ya could drop of stuff at a buddies place or pick up something ya left behind after a hard night of drinking lol

were you able to drop off and pick up items from other peoples vaults/houses? that'd be cool if ya could drop of stuff at a buddies place or pick up something ya left behind after a hard night of drinking lol

Not like you are thinking. Not like a "transfer" thing. EQ2 kept track of each items "owner" for items put in the house. You could move and rearrange items, for decorating purposes, but couldnt "pick up" nanything you didnt drop in the first place.
I cant remember if you could take items out of the guys vault, but I dont think so.
Maybe there was a share part... i dont recall, didnt need to do much of that since the people I played eq2 with were RL friends and many times we would play in the same RL room at my buddies house. So transfers like that we really easy.

Anyone feel like sharing a few screenshots of the new houses? I haven't upgraded to HoT yet since i'm tired of boxing and am in the process of consolidating my guys into one account, and i don't want to have to upgrade three accounts to be able to do it. Once i get my boys on one account i'll get HoT for that one and just let the others expire. So in the meantime i can't see the new stuff. Pretty curious what it all looks like.

Trophies

Anyone figure out how to get a trophy in your house? It appears to run on the same tribute system as guild and personal tribute but you can have up to 4 more buffs from trophies in your house or yard.

I cannot, however, figure where in the world you get these items that have a "trophy" benefit. Anyone know? I have checked every vendor in the nieghborhood and the marketplace so I am starting think they drop or are sold elsehwere but I cannot get anything from my tribute master, either.

Anyone figure out how to get a trophy in your house? It appears to run on the same tribute system as guild and personal tribute but you can have up to 4 more buffs from trophies in your house or yard.

I cannot, however, figure where in the world you get these items that have a "trophy" benefit. Anyone know? I have checked every vendor in the nieghborhood and the marketplace so I am starting think they drop or are sold elsehwere but I cannot get anything from my tribute master, either.

Elaborate defiant weapons had listed on them that they could be placed in houses. I got one the other day and saw it in the description. I dont have a house yet, but go in your house, and right click on the item in your inv. try it on a top level inv slot not a bag, not sure if it matter, in EQ2 that would open a window where you could chose PLACE as anoption then find a spot on your wall.. now the items with Trophy affects, will likely be epics or maybe specific item quested for in new expansion.

Trophies are awards for completing all the tasks/quests in a zone. You can view them on the /ach system.