Folding @ Home

Yoda007

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Step1: Watch this : foldflash2

Step2: Read !

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Step3: Come and join the F@H race and put those excess CPU cycles to use.

I invite you all to put your spare computer cycles to good use, and join in on the race.

Catch me if you can... (though I doubt anyone here can catch me :p )

yoda123 - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

I to felt inspired, and am giving it a shot. Dunno how to post my progress on extremeoverclocking.com though

Also, if we get a protien that mis-folds, is that a huge finding?

yep

DH is correct, site updates everyone.

I just cut and ptasted my stats from website

Just curious but do you actually know what protein folding is? Or what protein does by folding?

The video was great and i'm goign to give it a shot but I'm also adding a bit below that helps explain what the folding is. But to sum it up for those that don't read alot it's the beginning process of forming DNA (in lamen's terms)

here are a few links that might help:

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_folding]Protein folding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Protein Folding

I heard that the PS3 is the ultimate folding unit

~~

I thought the presentation was very nice. When it loaded up a message popped up that said "Make sure your sound is on." At this point I thought it was going to be some prank or what not you come across on the internet. But no, very nice genuine music that sets the mood.

I heard that the PS3 is the ultimate folding unit

Yeah the PS3 is a proven point farmer !

Another awesome day for me, with over 7k points pumped out, with 1 more updated still to go in about 2hrs time.