EQ EULA

Zero0003

The One Who Sees All!
Reaction score
I noticed the chance to the TOS which makes sense since they are changing hands for the company.

Was this ever listed in the TOS before?

Collection and Use of Information about Your Computer

We may collect certain information about your computer, such as the IP address, type of video card, size of hard drive, etc., and monitor the software and data on your computer, as reasonably necessary to assist us in optimizing the performance of our games and websites. We may also monitor the processes on your computer as reasonably necessary to detect unauthorized modifications to our game software and/or the use of software that enables or facilitates any kind of cheating.

In my mind:
1. Either they care about the game and are growing a pair of balls to weed out hacking (as naive as they are about how many alt accounts will cancel subs)
2. They are trying to kill off EQ for some reason by eliminating hacking that will make people mass cancel alt subscriptions so they can list a "valid" reason (too few active subscriptions) for closing the game. (Then possibly re-purpose the personnel working on EQ to different more profitable game?)

Or perhaps they want to understand their player base?

Not sure.

If I remember right there was a lot of debate around monitor any processes that were running as it was not listed in the TOS to allow it. Now it seems it is changed so they will allow spying on your computer

I know there was another topic before in the past and I think Fry or HTW were possible working on a solution that the process could not be tracked either by renaming it or running detours on it.

IF there were process queries to start taking place hunting for an active mq2 process.
I would assume they would scan based process name and/or process attribute properties (like file size, md5 sum?).

If so, would it be possible to have mmoloader set to not readable/scannable, then when mmoloader launches mq2, it randomizes mq2 properties (within a small/safe min-max) so MQ2 is more difficult to identify?

I tried looking for it but can't find anything.

pretty sure that was always there they put it in when they started having the launcher scan. Either way its a legal issue for them if you're playing on someone else's PC you cannot give consent to search/scan that PC.

They did hint they might be changing server code to catch botters for the upcoming progression server. Whether or not they will implement that for live servers not sure.

They probably don't care about hacking. Just want to know what games you have installed on your computer. Selling your information > Banning you in EQ

People always try to take comfort in purported claims that it isn't legal for Sony or Daybreak to monitor what's running on a player's computer. Yeah, well even if that's true good luck trying to sue them. The reality is IF they want to detect hacker programs running on a player's PC they can most likely do it. The real question is do they CARE? It's true today that multi-boxers probably constitute the majority of EQ's cash flow, and I'd go so far as to contend that multi-boxers who "cheat" in some form constitute a significant portion of that cash flow. As long as the cheaters don't cause enough game balance problems to affect cash flow by driving players out of the game, I don't think they care.