Dual CPU pc for gaming

Yeah, good point also William12, if it's just a dedicated EQ box, I agree - don't pay through the nose. :)

Even when I played actively, I was always doing extra shit (dev & other things) on my PC all the time, so it is like a hybrid gaming/workhorse computer, and my head tends to think that way.

htw

Yeah, good point also William12, if it's just a dedicated EQ box, I agree - don't pay through the nose. :)

Even when I played actively, I was always doing extra shit (dev & other things) on my PC all the time, so it is like a hybrid gaming/workhorse computer, and my head tends to think that way.

htw

I box 15 and still play diablo 3 something I could not do on I7 920s.

Anyone here using E5 for EQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyways the really question was can I use 920s. That I already somewhat thought was not possible, but wanted to confirm, not try to reasoned with on how you can do it this way. Thanks for the inputs!

I don't think you'll be able to run more than 15-16. I have a 860 or 870 and it can only run about 6-7 at 16gb or ram.

You are better of waiting till this winter when intel releases their next E line. Or run last years E hexacore (cheapest one think its like 5820k or something, only reason you need the next higher model up is if you plan on doing 4 way sli cause of the extra PCI lanes.)

Might be able to find a used 5820k on the hardforums for a reasonable price, but they usually get sold pretty quickly when one is up for sale.

Cores and ram is going to be your limitaton after 10-12 accounts loaded, and the old i7's just don't perform anywhere close to the ones in last 2-3 years. There is a huge difference between my 860 vs 2700.

So hold on, im confused. I thought the xeon line could only be used for Servers, are they actually that good performing that people would use them on gaming?

I certainly wouldn't. The price isn't worth it for minimal benefit. I assume he wants to do various shit on a single PC (at the same time), so then that'd be cool (higher memory capacity (><mb), the cores, cache, etc.).

As an example, my preference is 1 PC, for power/heat/maintenance, for multimedia sharing/serving, server apps, development, VMs (generally for testing dev work, but also some services), and gaming. It's just better than having 3 or 4 or 5 sitting around.

Another thing, is keeping in mind how many bots he wants to run.

At any rate, if you just want a gaming PC and you aren't going shit crazy with number of tasks (i.e., a typical user), then no way in hell would I get a xeon - LOL. I save my money and get top end i7.

htw

I certainly wouldn't. The price isn't worth it for minimal benefit. I assume he wants to do various shit on a single PC (at the same time), so then that'd be cool (higher memory capacity (><mb), the cores, cache, etc.).

As an example, my preference is 1 PC, for power/heat/maintenance, for multimedia sharing/serving, server apps, development, VMs (generally for testing dev work, but also some services), and gaming. It's just better than having 3 or 4 or 5 sitting around.

Another thing, is keeping in mind how many bots he wants to run.

At any rate, if you just want a gaming PC and you aren't going shit crazy with number of tasks (i.e., a typical user), then no way in hell would I get a xeon - LOL. I save my money and get top end i7.

htw

Correct, I dropped 10-13k on building 5 machines over 2 months years ago. Fuck that. It was way to much upkeep back then. Even with today being able to sync your stuff. I would rather just build one, to rule them all.