Dual CPU pc for gaming

JimJohnson

Forum Jackass
Reaction score
I currently have 2 i7 920s computers that I will be parting out.

Trying to figure out if it be worth it to get a DUAL CPU motherboard and run them both with 64 gigs ram as my EQ box.

Anyone with experience have feed back on this?

From looking looks like my i7 920s wont work on a dual Motherboard, if that's the case have 2 for sale!

Last edited:
I've always been interested in seeing how the dual cpu motherboards work. Does the software that your running have to be coded to use both?

man eq cant use 2 cores you think its going to care about two processors ?

man eq cant use 2 cores you think its going to care about two processors ?
It doesnt split cores, but you can assign individual cores. So he could assign each instance to its own core/cpu.

You'll notice alright. We do 'kit' systems at work. Just don't bottleneck it with cheap mb/vid/mem/drive.

You can get raw values if you want from: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/multi_cpu.html

E.g., dual e5-2698 = 30278 vs. 1 i7 920 = 4991 (passmark)

Course, you would pay out the ass for that, HAHA. ;)

htw

I'd be willing to pay with my ass for some of that.... Just sayin.

I disagree with htw but hes the expert not me :) If you were trying to see a difference in a new MMO that came out today you would notice a huge difference, but you can run EQ on an ipad or android I dont think you will notice anything. I went from an I7920 to I7 4790k and noticed nothing. The true difference is going from a non SSD to an SSD. After using one for a year I have no idea how people don't the loading time when zoning is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much faster.

Maybe you will notice something if you actually load 15-20 instances. I can load 20 on an I7 4790k with zero lag or delay on any of them.

Last edited:
i found i need to allot 1 gig of ram for each eq instance. 10-12 instances was about max for me with 4790 quad and 16 gig ram. i havent tried eq on my new system yet but i imagine 5820 (6 core) + 32 gig DDR4 of ram + 970 (8 gig ddr5) sli should comfortably let me run at least 18 instances, if not 24. it was more ram and graphics ram maxing out rather than cpu though.

i suppose i should get around to testing it for something other than dota 2 and star citizen.

i found i need to allot 1 gig of ram for each eq instance. 10-12 instances was about max for me with 4790 quad and 16 gig ram. i havent tried eq on my new system yet but i imagine 5820 (6 core) + 32 gig DDR4 of ram + 970 (8 gig ddr5) sli should comfortably let me run at least 18 instances, if not 24. it was more ram and graphics ram maxing out rather than cpu though.

i suppose i should get around to testing it for something other than dota 2 and star citizen.

ya i had to upgrade to 32gbs a few months ago.

I agree with most of what is said but I will say this.

EQ game itself loads more stuff in the ram for faster loading and processing. It will also utilize the hd as much as it can to load the textures but once loaded it hands it off to the ram side.

Graphics for EQ.... This game is so old that it still can run on a 64MB video card even running a few sessions, it all depends on how you play the game and how many active windows you have up at once for the video to refresh on your screen. The more you have on your screen the harder it will be on video card.

If you are a true boxer, a simple I7 processor and 64GB of ram would go a long way. You don't need a 8GB video card unless you plan on having all your windows up at the same time, you don't need duel cpu as EQ does not need a lot of CPU to run the game as it utilizes the ram than cpu.

There is tons of articles about this all over the place but the backend engine of the game never wanted to use the cpu cause it was never able to handle the speed/processing it needed for games, which is why majority of games use ram or graphics card based on the technology that has developed today.

If you want the bottom line answer... then Yes... EQ can run on a duel processing computer as i've played around with it in the past on a old Dell PowerEdge R900 server machine and another duel processor motherboard that we had to test for other reasons for my work. EQ engine can separate it out but you will notice almost no difference and just waste your money.

I disagree with htw but hes the expert not me :) If you were trying to see a difference in a new MMO that came out today you would notice a huge difference, but you can run EQ on an ipad or android I dont think you will notice anything. I went from an I7920 to I7 4790k and noticed nothing. The true difference is going from a non SSD to an SSD. After using one for a year I have no idea how people don't the loading time when zoning is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much faster.

Maybe you will notice something if you actually load 15-20 instances. I can load 20 on an I7 4790k with zero lag or delay on any of them.
That's the point man - boxing, load times, zone times, etc. etc. Not the game graphics capabilities, i.e. "what you see and how it makes you feel about how fast it is".

If that's all you want, all good, but if you want to multi-task, or run an army, that kind of thing, then you are going to notice a difference.

Saying you won't, is like those who say they notice no difference between SSD and HDD, regarding logging, zone times, load time.

Anyway, to each his own - the way JJ talked is like he wants beefy for a reason, so that's the way I took it.

Sorry but your answer sounds about like what my 18 year old daughter would tell me if I asked her if she would like to "upgrade to a dual CPU system". ;-) (yes that's a joke)

htw

I do not believe you can run 2 x i7 920's on a single motherboard. All the dual motherboard machines I've seen are Xeon.

The 920's are pretty old but should be able to support 8-12 instances of EQ before saturating.

Easy check. Pull up the windows performance monitor and look at your machines resources while you are running. If you see anything pegged then you want to increase that :)

I do not believe you can run 2 x i7 920's on a single motherboard. All the dual motherboard machines I've seen are Xeon.

The 920's are pretty old but should be able to support 8-12 instances of EQ before saturating.

Easy check. Pull up the windows performance monitor and look at your machines resources while you are running. If you see anything pegged then you want to increase that :)

I would hope I could run more then 12, I mean a q6600 would run 15.

Looks like its a pipe dream of 12k. Oh well maybe for Christmas.

That's correct, you'd need xeon.

htw

htw

htw

What the cheapest best xeon you would go with?

I'd love to know what optimizations you make to your client. I could probably get 12 on a Q6600 but they wouldn't be doing 30 fps.

I'd love to know what optimizations you make to your client. I could probably get 12 on a Q6600 but they wouldn't be doing 30 fps.

No idea if it runs today. But I was running 10-15 on average on both of my Q6600s long after they were out dated. I don't need graphics, and had it reduce my screen size to 1x1 when in background.

That's the point man - boxing, load times, zone times, etc. etc. Not the game graphics capabilities, i.e. "what you see and how it makes you feel about how fast it is".

If that's all you want, all good, but if you want to multi-task, or run an army, that kind of thing, then you are going to notice a difference.

Saying you won't, is like those who say they notice no difference between SSD and HDD, regarding logging, zone times, load time.

Anyway, to each his own - the way JJ talked is like he wants beefy for a reason, so that's the way I took it.

Sorry but your answer sounds about like what my 18 year old daughter would tell me if I asked her if she would like to "upgrade to a dual CPU system". ;-) (yes that's a joke)

htw

But why pay $5-10k when a single I7 4790k or 5820k will run 30+ instances with zero lag. Its about ram with EQ not CPU.

htw

But why pay $5-10k when a single I7 4790k or 5820k will run 30+ instances with zero lag. Its about ram with EQ not CPU.

Who says that's all I want to be able to do at one time? I mean they are automated and all. What if I wanted to run a EMU on it at the same time.

Anyways the really question was can I use 920s. That I already somewhat thought was not possible, but wanted to confirm, not try to reasoned with on how you can do it this way. Thanks for the inputs!