Danger of in game chat

orion949

Death From Above
Reaction score
Im curious about something, has anyone had an experience where any negative action was taken against them based on something said in game chats about hacking.

i.e. if I send a tell to someone like, "hey run batweed.mac" or "I have my batweed macro running" or "hey did you see that post on MMOBugs yesterday?"

Stuff like that where maybe they sniffed out a key term like "macro" or "MMOBugs" then used it to ban you?

I've never heard of anything happening for tells, but I would discourage anyone from even mentioning MQ, innocently or otherwise, in the serverwide channels. You probably don't want to be in them if you're looking to keep a low profile, anyway.

Yeah, I have yet to hear anything of those sorts.
I've done it before and have had other people talk about MQ to me in tells, hell even GK in tells and /gui and /channels. (private channels)
but havent heard or seen anything done.
Although I usually advise to talk in MSN/some sort of messenger about it, which is what i usually do. It's just all around easier and no worries at all.

Only if they have a reason to be watching you.
There isn't a flag system that will notify them, but if they use a certain command, they can see any chat text coming to and from you.

Only if they have a reason to be watching you.
There isn't a flag system that will notify them, but if they use a certain command, they can see any chat text coming to and from you.

I've had actually two recent scenarios where by accident I sent a tell to someone in game (I was focused on wrong window, was supposed to be an IM response), and within a few minutes, I had a GM in front of me. Granted, this could have been coincidence, this happened twice to me. Wasn't the same GM, but they both popped within a minute or two of having sent the tell to the person. This was in tutorialb. I was the only one in zone. They stood there for a few minutes, asked how I was, typical GM chitchat bullshit, and went on their way. I believed coinkydink at first, but two times? I'm thinking otherwise.

Note: Just wanted to add on what Kachiko said. They do have a method of intercepting all chat/log in real time, not just checking back logs. Caught a GM once over small details when arguing with a friend of mine (whom showed his conversation vs mine).

Last edited:
Long and short of it - unless a player that sees your message reports you, you're pretty damned safe. I've been in /group, /guild, /tell, /raid, and channels talking about /zone, /warp, starting macs, and if the latest compile is out. No bans, warnings, or conversation with GMs.

I've had actually two recent scenarios where by accident I sent a tell to someone in game (I was focused on wrong window, was supposed to be an IM response), and within a few minutes, I had a GM in front of me. Granted, this could have been coincidence, this happened twice to me. Wasn't the same GM, but they both popped within a minute or two of having sent the tell to the person. This was in tutorialb. I was the only one in zone. They stood there for a few minutes, asked how I was, typical GM chitchat bullshit, and went on their way. I believed coinkydink at first, but two times? I'm thinking otherwise.

Note: Just wanted to add on what Kachiko said. They do have a method of intercepting all chat/log in real time, not just checking back logs. Caught a GM once over small details when arguing with a friend of mine (whom showed his conversation vs mine).

What was the context of the accidental tell that you sent? Did it say anything hacking related or was it an ordinary tell?

My friends who know I use or those that started asking, I deflect and either direct them to Teamspeak, call me, email me or what not. Because no matter what I will not speak of it ingame. The ones I will and do make that exception for are the ones that are members here and follow my own quiet ways of responding. We know how to talk to each other that we could even be having a conversation with others in group that are not part of our normal crew and we know what the other is going on about. When in doubt, stay subdued. Let the topic blow over.

Eh, no big deal.
Just blame it on a bard alt.

The First Rule of MQ is we don't speak of MQ.

;)

You have to be careful of typing in MQ2 commands to channels. I've accidentally typed f/ade into the bard channel. If it would have been in any other channel it would have looked BAD. I suggest leaving all channels if you're a fast typer and do things FAST. Because you WILL eventually accidentally type /gate or /warp t in a channel and be screwed.

As far as talking about MQ2 privately, there is no risk. They don't phish that stuff out and unless someone reports you, you're okay.

3-4+ years ago i type a command in /say while in a raid. Only my guildies were in the zone, so nothing was reported, but it was embarasing to say the least. Since then, i al VERY careful when typing commands (most of the ones i use regularly are hotkeyed now). 2 or 3 people made a jokingly comment, but no action was taken against me by the guild other then a /tell from an officer that said "Turn that off while at raids please"

As far as GMs seeing what you say, i am always testing my limits, i have never receieved a warning for my account for anything, so i figured if i get caught for something, i get a 7 day vacation from EQ, lol. Anyhow, couple weeks ago i was talking to 2 diff people in tells, and even though i try not to use words associated with MQ2, they both talked about hacking, warping, MQ2, and stuff like that. I went ahead with the conversation, and afterwards asked them to keep certain words out of chat. I was running an afk macro during the convo's, and have ran it almost every day since then, figuring id be flagged and caught, but nothing happened. I am certain they do not watch random chat real time and do not have a chat red flagging system.

yeah me and some buddies have certain words we use for certain things that people who dont know exactly what the word mean think were just having a normal convo.. or we hop onto ventrilo.