Is ISBoxer, broadcasting in general... ILlegal?!

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I have been 6-boxing with 6 computers for years. But I just changed over my gameroom setup and the new format makes it impractical---as well as very hot!---to try to run 6 computers at once. So I was thinking I could pare down to 3 and use ISBoxer to broadcast commands to the non-focused EQ instance.

I did some Googling and found threads on DBG forums, primarily EQ2, where claims are made that it's illegal to use any software that "broadcasts" keystrokes, even if a human being is in attendance (i.e. NOT "automated") and pressed the first key. One EQ2 player claimed he got banned for using ISBoxer and posted excerpts from his communications with DBG where they say explicitly that every action of every character, even if boxed, must come from a separate keystroke initiated by a real person.

Obviously those here using MQ are not fretting about this supposedly new policy, since MQ clearly violates the rules (hence the "Cheat Smarter" banner on this site.) But I wonder if anyone has had experience with problems arising from simple key broadcasting using ISBoxer.

Yes, I did check the ISBoxer site and forums and they're not very precise about whether broadcasting is a no-no. It looks like Sony may have been a lot more tolerant on this issue than DBG, at least at this time.

Comments?

It will pretty much depend on how the person handling the case feels, automation can be seen in so many different lights and shades that you can argue it both ways all day...

But the way the rules are it leaves it up to the staff deciding themselves. I used ISBoxer on Lockjaw for a solid 8 months and no one ever batted an eye, even in groups with my 3 chars.

I don't think anyone will care, it's more the afk automation that will get you reported and that's the only way you will get in trouble

I don't think anyone will care, it's more the afk automation that will get you reported and that's the only way you will get in trouble

If you do stuff no one cares about then you should be fine.

If you AFK then people get pissed your getting free xp and report you.
If you box a rare spawn they need they get pissed and report you.
If you box an army to take down raid content they get pissed and report you.

I've been 6 boxing on 1 pc for years. Never once had a problem. Just be courteous and to other players and you'll be fine.

I would consolidate down to 1 pc and use ISBoxer. 6 pc's in one room in the summer must be brutal!

I've been 6 boxing on 1 pc for years. Never once had a problem. Just be courteous and to other players and you'll be fine.

I would consolidate down to 1 pc and use ISBoxer. 6 pc's in one room in the summer must be brutal!

Yeah, but in the winter my game room was so cozy the cats would insist on spending the whole day in it!

You're right, though, it's amazing how much heat a PC will throw off, especially multiple PC's. Another reason I've been looking at the "tiny PC's" that are 3D-game capable. Has anyone tried one of those? For example, the Zotac line? Amazing what they can cram into a box so small you can tuck it right under your monitor and it looks like a fat external hard drive. I'm thinking of buying one just to reduce the footprints of my gaming PCs in my game room, and to lower the room temp!

Yeah, but in the winter my game room was so cozy the cats would insist on spending the whole day in it!

You're right, though, it's amazing how much heat a PC will throw off, especially multiple PC's. Another reason I've been looking at the "tiny PC's" that are 3D-game capable. Has anyone tried one of those? For example, the Zotac line? Amazing what they can cram into a box so small you can tuck it right under your monitor and it looks like a fat external hard drive. I'm thinking of buying one just to reduce the footprints of my gaming PCs in my game room, and to lower the room temp!

Those are fine if EQ or some older games are the only ones you play. I'm not sure those mini atx boards and case can cram a big gfx like the 1080 though, plus you need a decent powersupply (i.e. 750w+) too, which takes up a lot of space as well.

Also keep in mind the Zotac stuff, you could build your own for cheaper, i looked into the Zotac a few years back for a HTPC but found it rather expensive rather than what you could build by yourself.

I agree with Aspire. The zotac mini pc's are WAY too expensive. For less than $800 you can get yourself a rig that will play new games and 18 box EQ.

I know I bought another PC just to do my EQ stuff to free up my main pc for important stuff like fantasy Tour De France and playing Stick of Truth. But I just end up playing EQ anyways.