Controversial Discussion - Guns

America has a big gun problem and until you're willing to admit it nothing can be done to fix it. I don't live in America so not my problem and couldn't give a fuck really. In Australia we have tight gun control and hey are not really a problem. I have no need for a gun nor does anyone else in Australia unless they need it for work.

100 shot dead since that massacre - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/us-shooting-deaths-sandy-hook_n_2348466.html

Feel free to flame the fuck out of me as I know Americans love their guns. :)

America has a big gun problem and until you're willing to admit it nothing can be done to fix it. I don't live in America so not my problem and couldn't give a fuck really. In Australia we have tight gun control and hey are not really a problem. I have no need for a gun nor does anyone else in Australia unless they need it for work.

100 shot dead since that massacre - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/21/us-shooting-deaths-sandy-hook_n_2348466.html

I love Australia and wouldn't mind moving there one day. The thing is, you guys are surrounded on all sides by an Ocean. If you guys were attached to countries like Mexico where a current drug war is playing out on your boarders and in your cities, you would understand why some Americans are arming themselves too.

Mexico currently has very strict gun laws, but that's not stopping the criminals from waging an all out war on the government which is also now here in the US.

The fact is, most people who are shot in America, the majority of people don't give a fuck about. That's stating it very plainly and truthfully.

Most gun deaths are gangbangers killing gangbangers. You remove those statistics from the mix, and things aren't nearly as bad as they seem to be.

Australia is like what, 6th largest country in the world (mass) ?

Yet:

Australia: 2.8 inhabitants per square kilometer

USA: 32.06 inhabitants per square kilometer

That's just one thing. There are plenty of other factors involved. Comparing Apples and Oranges. Just my 2c.

htw

Most gun deaths are gangbangers killing gangbangers. You remove those statistics from the mix, and things aren't nearly as bad as they seem to be.

I imagine suicide is a larger % than gang related deaths.

When your continent plays host to the world's most dangerous animals and environments, I don't suppose you need guns. What are the number of deaths by someone being released into the wilds? :)

There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics.

The homicide rate in the US for 2012 was 4.2 per 100k population. In Australia, it's 1.0. Yeah, that's a LOT lower. But with all due respect you've got people spread out over a lot more area. It's hard to shoot someone living ten miles away!

African nations range between 15 and 30, four to 7 times the U.S. rate. Most of Asia is HIGHER. Most of Europe is lower, like Australia, altho they do like to murder each other in Albania and Latvia, for some reason.

The obvious, but not necessarily true (statistics as LIES) explanation would be strictness of gun laws.

But consider the District of Columbia's homicide rate is 24.0, or SIX times the U.S. national average. DC has some of the toughest gun control laws in the country. Unless someone is in law enforcement it is IMPOSSIBLE to get license-to-carry in D.C. Yet residents still manage to murder each other, presumably often with guns, like it's going out of style.

Is a homicide rate 4x higher than Australia's "worth" the protections afforded by the current gun ownership laws in the US? There's the question, eh?

The homicide rate in the US for 2012 was 4.2 per 100k population. In Australia, it's 1.0. Yeah, that's a LOT lower. But with all due respect you've got people spread out over a lot more area. It's hard to shoot someone living ten miles away!

Hate to say it, but just because Australia is big, it doesn't mean we live 10 miles apart.

The 85% of Australians live within 50km's of the coast. We are not as spread out as you think, though our population is fairly low compared to US. Australian's and Americans have a whole different mentality to guns. Australia has never really had wars on it's soil, so has never had a reason to really want to protect themselves unlike the US. Most Australian's never would have been brought up with guns in the house, unlike a lot of Americans. It's just not normal in Australia to have a gun, thankfully most criminals don't really have them either.

I don't agree with Australia's gun laws. I would like of liked a gun to protect my family, but that isn't a valid enough reason to have one here. Do I feel safer because of the law though? You bet, I hear of my wife's friend of a friend who lives in the US who was killed by her ex boyfriend who she had a baby with. A gun makes killing people so damn easy, if he had to do that with a knife it would of been a hell of a lot harder than squeezing a trigger of a gun, and would of needed more of a spine to do it.

Australia is a whole different kettle of fish compared to US though. We have no borders with other country's. If I lived in the US, noway I would let them take my gun, though in Australia I couldn't care. What works here, wont work in US. We just have to fear the drop bears and thankfully they are not armed.

All the stores around here sold out of AR's a couple days ago, and most of their shelves are completely bare, save some random deals on ammo ... 40 S&W, lol. I'm on the lookout now via Gunbroker for some shiz. It never fails!

Your avatar makes this post 1000x better.

I know this sounds shitty, but concerning the shooting at Sandy Hook, a determined person with a little ability could have achieved the same thing with a baseball bat instead of a gun.

No i honestly can't see a reason where automatic assault rifle was necessary (emphasis on automatic). Getting that outta the way i don't support in *limiting rights*.

Alot of these things have to be taken in context. That back then when the constitution was drafted.. there were no cars, cellphones, taesers etc.. you get where im goin with that. So back then hell ya bearing arms was crucial for the safety of your family hell a drifter can come riding by and finish your whole family.
Speaking of context, you do realize that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was specifically to provide the people with a means to keep the government in check, correct? Tyranny and all that?

I know this sounds shitty, but concerning the shooting at Sandy Hook, a determined person with a little ability could have achieved the same thing with a baseball bat instead of a gun.

I have to agree with this statement, especially since all of the children were "hidden" in each classroom with only a locked door protecting them, till the police showed up. Basically any weapon (knife, sword, molotov cocktail, baseball bat, fishing spear, etc). I mean we are talking teachers and very young children. The guy that did this was a tiny monster of a man and obviously disturbed. I can't image what his motive was and I honestly don't think we will ever know for sure unless he kept some sort of journal.

Considering Australia has like 3 of the worlds most deadly snakes....you can just go outside grab a bush snake and swing that around to kill hundreds.
We all know u Aussie's and Aboriginals love each other.

I have to agree with this statement, especially since all of the children were "hidden" in each classroom with only a locked door protecting them, till the police showed up. Basically any weapon (knife, sword, molotov cocktail, baseball bat, fishing spear, etc). I mean we are talking teachers and very young children. The guy that did this was a tiny monster of a man and obviously disturbed. I can't image what his motive was and I honestly don't think we will ever know for sure unless he kept some sort of journal.

I don't agree at all. Unless you think the teachers and kids would line up quietly and just let themselves be beaten to death one by one. I mean, GET REAL! Don't you think there'd be a lot of screaming and running around once this lunatic started whacking away at a kid? Plus, I doubt this loser had the physical strength and endurance to strike 27 people with a bat enough times to kill them all.

If there was a modicum of truth to this we'd have "bat control laws" in this country akin to gun control laws and I don't think we do in any jurisdiction!

No i honestly can't see a reason where automatic assault rifle was necessary (emphasis on automatic). Getting that outta the way i don't support in *limiting rights*.

Alot of these things have to be taken in context. That back then when the constitution was drafted.. there were no cars, cellphones, taesers etc.. you get where im goin with that. So back then hell ya bearing arms was crucial for the safety of your family hell a drifter can come riding by and finish your whole family.
Speaking of context, you do realize that the purpose of the 2nd Amendment was specifically to provide the people with a means to keep the government in check, correct? Tyranny and all that?

Yes I'm fully aware of that. I'm using the now vs then logic on that also. Just for 1 instance... an hourly news cycle. Besides atm good luck trying to fight money with guns. We have a bribery problem in Washington well *legal bribery* atm. I have relatives/buddies in the military, police, and private company's that deal with the government on a daily basis. I'm not scare as much of government as government+private individuals bending laws to suit needs ie lobbyist. Which the majority of our representatives end up being after leaving office.

The worst of which all the banks that crashed the economy saw no blow back and are too big to fail. Also the more recent HSBC dealing with al'kida and Mexican mafia gets a slap on the wrist and is too big to jail.

The problem is very complicated atm. Personally i think we need to get the money (lobbyist/donor money) out of congress and maybe even impose some term limits and hell even age limit to an extent. Thats my opinion anyways.

Last edited:

Yes I'm fully aware of that. I'm using the now vs then logic on that also. Just for 1 instance... an hourly news cycle. Besides atm good luck trying to fight money with guns. We have a bribery problem in Washington well *legal bribery* atm. I have relatives/buddies in the military, police, and private company's that deal with the government on a daily basis. I'm not scare as much of government as government+private individuals bending laws to suit needs ie lobbyist. Which the majority of our representatives end up being after leaving office.

The worst of which all the banks that crashed the economy saw no blow back and are too big to fail. Also the more recent HSBC dealing with al'kida and Mexican mafia gets a slap on the wrist and is too big to jail.

The problem is very complicated atm. Personally i think we need to get the money (lobbyist/donor money) out of congress and maybe even impose some term limits and hell even age limit to an extent. Thats my opinion anyways.

You do not seem to realize. Power = Corruption, if you remove the guns you give absolute power to those in control.

Your comment on fight money with guns. You are clueless. The guns are not what fight, its the people who are willing to stand his/her ground and defend against those corruptions you talk about.

As for getting the lobbyist out of Washington, good luck without a show of force from at least one state(Texas would be most likely) to secede from the union. The problem with that is big money owns Texas as well.

The Gun Lobby is able to represent the majority of the people when you have an extreme minority demanding the ban of all guns.

If if wasn't for groups like the NRA, Feinstein would have banned ALL firearms years ago

I don't agree at all. Unless you think the teachers and kids would line up quietly and just let themselves be beaten to death one by one. I mean, GET REAL! Don't you think there'd be a lot of screaming and running around once this lunatic started whacking away at a kid?

You think there wasn't screaming and running around when he was shooting them?