Computer Chairs

Zippzipp

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

I am curious what computer chairs people use. I seem to go through computer chairs fairly quickly. I feel like I need a new chair every 2-3 years. I am 6ft 3in, 260lbs and sit in the chair at least 6 hours a day. The chairs get so worn out the metal that connects the chair to stand with wheels breaks.

I am looking for a super comfy, durable chair, built for big guys that is also good for me ergonomically. Also do not want to spend more than 600$.

Any suggestions?

I recently bought this chair at Staples for $250. I like it because it's big and comfortable.

I am currently 6'6" 333lbs (was 370 in September!) and I use chairs probably more than you. For the work office (I work from home) I have a swiss (or fitness) ball. 75CM. I sit on that all day.

My personal chair for sitting on is a Herman Miller Aeron chair I bought from work for $120 or so. They are wonderful chairs with every part replaceable. Check craigslist if you're in a decently large city. You should be able to find used one for $300 or so. They also come with 12 year warrantys if you spend the $800 or so to buy them new.

Not sure what kind of money that you plan on dropping, but you can usually find a top of the line chair on craigslist because some small business may be closing or downsizing. I would recommend the Steelcase Think or Herman Miller Aeron. You can usually get either for $300 ish, and they retail for $600 to $700.

I work from home about 50% of the time, so if I am spending 24 to 36 hours a week sitting on something, I want to be comfortable while working or gaming.

Also refer to this thread on chairs too. http://www.mmobugs.com/forums/genera...o-you-use.html

twiz thanks for the link. Guess i shoulda looked for similar threads before posting this one.

im 6'3" and weigh 340 i go to staples and buy the 79 buck one and then purchase the 2 yr for 9.99 return when it breaks and its allways the arm on the right hand side that breaks after about 1.5 yrs..everytime~.. oh and they are comfy high backed padded and i sit in mine 10 hrs a day with my feet up staring at 2 screens all day.. Taking breaks inbewteen of course.

You guys seem to miss the point. He wants quality and comfort.

He has been doing the 79-149$ chairs and as you all know they dont hold up.

If you do not have a chair that holds up to what he needs, why repost what he is wanting to get away from? Throw away chairs every 2-3 years.

Also, the Aeron chair i sit in, i've sat in it for the past 6 years. No problems. Buy new (and the right size) and you'll not have to worry about it for a decade or two (my chair was manufactured in 99). It is almost 14 years old and used daily for 8+ hours a day.

I have a lazy boy built 10-15 yrs ago. Its still doing pretty well.

If it hasn't been said enough yet.

Herman Miller Aeron

I too was going through computer chairs every 2-3 years. Do yourself a favor and get a Aeron. You can buy them refurbished of official herman miller retailers for about $600-800, or check craigslist and usually find one around for $400-600 on craigslist.

Going with a official herman miller retailer though guarantee's you the 12 year warranty, if anything goes wrong HM will fix it. Keep in mind the warranty period is from when the chair was made not when you purchased it. But still 12 years of peace of mind also proves how resilient these chairs are.

If you are spending $100-250 on a chair every 2-3 years, thats costing you more in the long run anyways. I was a bit hesitant to blow $800 on a chair (mine is fully loaded) but this thing is so comfy I'm never buying those piece of shit staples/officemax/office depot chairs again. They have a new model out called the Embody too so you might want to check that out as well, but those are around $1000-1500.

edit: oh yah their Made in America, forgot to mention that!

Last edited:
HM is running a 15% off sale from authorized dealers on their chairs