Question Computer workstations/ L or U shaped

Blitzkrieg

Time Traveling Troll
Reaction score
Red Telephone Booth, formerly a Cardboard Box
Website
www.mulletjunky.com
Looking for a new desk. Currently using a workstation by TBC Consoles as at the time they had the best monitor mounting for my setup.

Looking into either a L or U shape setup. Prefer a U shape. Not looking for traditional style, definitely modern, with legs or cross bar support underneath for open ended tables instead of the typical walled in type.

My last resort will be to build something custom, though I am hoping for an out of the box solution.

U-shaped workstation including one pedestal is kind of the layout I am looking for, but with an open setup like https://www.upliftdesk.com/uplift-950-electric-sit-stand-l-shaped-solid-wood-desk-design-your-own/

Not interested in the ergo standing/sitting adjustable shit. Don't need it for this setup.

623ee3e0e0dc46362774900cc76cb57a--potato-salad-show-me.jpg

Fam, Obutto R3volution. I am still loving mine. it is super effective! I know it isnt an L or a U.. but that comfort, bro. #JustInCaseYouAreOpenToIdeas

XDISuF8.jpg

Yeah got four monitors and don't play sims, otherwise I'd be all over that Obutto!

Seriously though. I'm using a desk I bought from craigslist like 8 years ago that is barely in one piece still. Half the screws are missing from my move from California, I thought about building my own desk into my office. But I only have one monitor for my desktop and my laptop which will likely be used 95% of the time.

I don't own one, but Ikea Galant line is fairly cheap, unfortunately it is no longer made so you'll have to check craigslist.

Ikea discontinued the brand and makes the Bekant line now.

Ikea desk gallery | [H]ard|Forum

Im useing a 8' long old counter top propped up with 2 flile cabnits under each end for my 3 monitor set up.

Ghetto af but its awesome roomz

I rarely go to the Ikea here ... good to know. I'll have to be on the look out. I never make it past their food court.

Yeah I had a similar setup with two old lateral filing cabinets lol and a custom wood desktop I made. It worked, but in this situation I'm looking for something a bit more professional.

I have been checking out Bush business furniture. They seem to have quite a few modules that will make up what I want, and they seem popular enough with the local offices I can probably grab some for cheap.

Thanks for both suggestions!

The Etsy outfit looks to be behind, will see what I hear back.

Those Amazon tables I've seen the other configurations from the same manufacturer but never the L shape.

I'm working with medium pile carpet, so the leveling is a must. Most of the levelers I've seen come with furniture I end up replacing with heavier grade casters or levelers.

My biggest gripe with all the desks I've come across is the depth. I like to have enough room (in terms of depth) to put monitor - keyboard - and a notebook/book in from the wall to were you are sitting, so you need 60"+ depth desk. Those are hard to find at not so outrageous prices.

Ikea Galant was very nice for that reason, I have no clue why they discontinued it for the horrible Bekant line.

Yeah 30" seems to be the standard depth. The last workstation desktop I had was 36" at the shortest of the curve, going out to ~40" on the sides. It was amazing what that extra half foot did.

Now I'm debating getting vice grips or utilizing a clamp mount to offset these monitors. Just switched to Ergotech PC Gaming Desk Stands and the stand itself eats up a nice chunk of desk.

My biggest gripe with all the desks I've come across is the depth. I like to have enough room (in terms of depth) to put monitor - keyboard - and a notebook/book in from the wall to were you are sitting, so you need 60"+ depth desk. Those are hard to find at not so outrageous prices.

Ikea Galant was very nice for that reason, I have no clue why they discontinued it for the horrible Bekant line.

I have this same issue. I have my desktop monitor behind my laptop as we speak. I have to push the desktops keyboard onto the monitor stand to fit my laptop and there is still overhang. My laptop is only a 15.3" so if I were to go with my typical size laptop and have gotten a 17 then I would really be out of room.

All this talk of desks has got me looking pretty hard at my existing setup. Thinking I'm just going to do a custom build because the prices of desks are as you said, pretty high up there. Additionally, doing a custom build will yield the results I want with none of the downsides as long as I do proper planning.

Last edited:
If/when you do build, make a thread!

The past builds I've done were almost all metal, with a 2x4x72 glued top sanded down and recessed into the frame. It was an extreme oversized desk, but it held up 4 old school CRT monitors and the power PCs with them. Was legit. Only worked in that one room, along that one wall though and I ended up junking it when I moved.

Probably because of that I have never ventured in making another big ass desk again. I'm no good at engineering the weak points, so I reinforce everywhere until it's immovable.

Also, that big ass desk was built for carpet, and I did not compensate for the pile for lost height, but luckily it worked out as I was 30" high before the drop, ending at about ~29.5".

You can buy a good set of casters and get that .5-1.5" offset with mobility too, all locking. Helps with carpet. Might not be needed with other types of flooring, levelers are cheap too.

I never understood why desk manufacturers would go so cheap on those. It'd probably be an extra few cents per unit at the volume they run.