How can I set this up?

aspire2008

Iftw
Reaction score
Someone with some computer knowledge, can explain if this is possible?

I am considering buying two 10G network cards (since their finally getting cheaper), and want to share files directly from computer A to computer B.

I also want the regular 1G ethernet port on the motherboards of computer A and B to connect to my router so I can have internet access on both.

Is it possible to setup so both type of connections are active? If so, how do I go about doing this?

I don't know for sure what the real answer is but I expect it will be something like this :

Computer A :
- 1 GB = DHCP = 192.168.0.XXX
- 10 GB = You define a static IP address in different range 192.169.0.1

Computer B :
- 1 GB = DHCP = 192.168.0.XXX
- 10 GB = You define a static IP address 192.169.0.2

Then on computer A mark a folder and shared, and browse to the folder on machine B via \\192.168.0.1\XYZ

This is my best guess as I have not actually tried it.

Send me the 10 GB cards and cabling and I'll let you know when I get it working !

Last edited:
Send me the 10 GB cards and cabling and I'll let you know when I get it working !

The Aquantia 10G cards are about $90 bucks now, I think they even make 5G ones for cheaper. Also, some of the newer motherboards already have an Aquantia 10G ethernet port and a 1G ethernet port. Those run around $350-400 though for the motherboard.

Amazon.com: Aquantia AQtion 10G Gaming NIC, 5-speed Ethernet Network Adapter with PCIe 3.0 and RJ-45 (AQN-107): Computers & Accessories

Also Dewey, you may want to check out this article, reminded me of mq2cpuload :The Quiz on CPU 0: Playing Scheduler Wars with AMD’s Threadripper 2990WX

Last edited:
To add to dewey's feedback (just piling on, not any different that what he says, just another example): You can have as many networks as you want. You route stuff via gateways/masks/etc. (via routes, but if you set it up right those get done for you). Where traffic goes, based on the destination and how that masks in the route (network/address/mask) will go through a gateway if defined, or else directly on the network (to dest), or if it doesn't match it goes though a 'default' route.

So for example, you can have like:

Router:
- IP 10.0.0.1
- Network 10.0.0.0
- Netmask: 255.255.0.0 (or 255.255.255.0)

Others on the network would be like:
PC A:
- Net1:
-- IP 10.0.0.2
-- Mask 255.255.0.0
-- Gateway 10.0.0.1
- Net2:
-- IP: 10.1.0.2
-- Mask 255.255.0.0
-- Gateway none

Other PCs same (with different IPs on same nets of course).

Your default route would be 10.0.0.1 (your gateway, or router IP).

So let's say you go to connect/copy/etc. to a share or service on 10.1.0.3 from 10.1.0.2 (your 10g), the dest is going to match your 10g network 10.1.0.0 mask 255.255.0.0 (i.e., 10.1.x.x), so routes that directly to 10.1.0.3 via the interface on that network 10.1.0.2 (your 10g).

If connecting to your router, or something else on your router network, it sees it needs to go on the 10.0.x.x network, i.e. out your 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.0.3.

To "some other" network (e.g., internet), the dest IP/mask doesn't match your local networks, so will route via the interface/gateway defined by your default route (in this example, over 10.0.0.2 or 10.0.0.3 interface to the dest IP, via gateway 10.0.0.1 - your router).

That's basically what it would do. Of course, you have more fine tuned control over any aspect of your network topography.

I did it for a while years ago using a linux server, where I had 3 ethernet cards, 1 to the router, 1 to home network, 1 to private servers I wanted off my home network (I was also doing a double nat, but that's another story).

Bottom line is, as dewey pointed it out - no problem.

Keep in mind your networks can't be physically wired together (10g & 1g) without everything going through smart switch(es), so you would need two physical typical switches with individual cables for the PC connections.

htw

If you are thinking of using Mellanox cards to just transfer files between two hosts (which is a lot cheaper than a normal 10g ethernet card, used on ebay), then yes, you can do that while maintaining your 1g link to your main network. You could probably do it with the 10g ether cards too if they are connected directly between two hosts and IP'ed on different subnets.

I am considering buying two 10G network cards (since their finally getting cheaper), and want to share files directly from computer A to computer B.

I also want the regular 1G ethernet port on the motherboards of computer A and B to connect to my router so I can have internet access on both.

Is it possible to setup so both type of connections are active? If so, how do I go about doing this?
They answered your question using how to do it via network set up. But the direct answer is yes you can connect two computers/NIC directly, probably via a cross-over cable (What are Straight and Crossover Cables). I took a quick look at the product and didnt see it mention whether or not you needed cross-over or straight connect to link them. Looks like you need cat6/cat6a cable to max the speed.

It is probably a lot smarter to use the network method unless your entire purposes is to transfer data from PC1 to PC2 as quickly as possible and you do it legit all the time. if you dont want to burden your router you could also get a switch so that you can transfer between the two devices without ever hitting the router.

They answered your question using how to do it via network set up. But the direct answer is yes you can connect two computers/NIC directly, probably via a cross-over cable (What are Straight and Crossover Cables). I took a quick look at the product and didnt see it mention whether or not you needed cross-over or straight connect to link them. Looks like you need cat6/cat6a cable to max the speed.

It is probably a lot smarter to use the network method unless your entire purposes is to transfer data from PC1 to PC2 as quickly as possible and you do it legit all the time. if you dont want to burden your router you could also get a switch so that you can transfer between the two devices without ever hitting the router.

I thought about the crossover method, I remember doing that back in college, I think I still have that crossover cable from college lying around somewhere in the attic :eek:, but its probably cat5.

I bought like 10 cat 6e or maybe it was cat 6a cables in various lengths from monoprice about 5 years ago, but I doubt any are twisted pair.

Regarding what you mentioned about the switch, 10G switches are very very expensive still. The cheapest 4 port one is like $350-500 and they don't even have good reviews at that price point. And you still need the 10G NICs along with the switch yes?, i.e both ends have to be 10G.

I think for just 2 computers the $180 for 2 10G NICs price point is more appealing.

I've also thought about going this route:

InfiniBand: An Inexpensive Performance Boost For Your Home Network - Patshead.com Blog

I'm just trying to plan ahead for my next computer build, probably a year from now lol. But I want take the full advantage off NVMe SSD's and if I have 1 in my future build I want to not bottleneck at 1G speeds on transfers.

I feel you. I do have an optane NVME drive and its hella fast. i do not really network within my home though I am considering building an HTPC. I'm not sure I have ever had an issue where i cant wait long enough for a file to transfer via network. Like I said: if you arent transfer a ton of files and doing it really often then it kinda sort of doesnt matter. It isnt like a work center with hundreds of users. If your 5 gig file takes 20 seconds to transfer instead of 2 it doesnt really matter for most people.