Back after X years

Cbass

Reaction score
Hey guys...I used to be on here a lot about 7-8 years ago I think it was.. then I lost my handle and opened this one like a year ago..I read through about 40 threads so far this evening to "catch up" so hopefully this isn't too annoying:

Haven't played more than 1 hour of EQ1 or EQ2 in the last 5+ years. Still deciding on this or EQ2, so here is my question:

Using MQ2 and it's current "enhancements" that wont get me banned instantly, what class is the easiest to solo up with? Or, what Class/Merc combo is best to enjoy as much of the game as possible. I don' like to group with people at all so I want to be as self sufficient as possible.

I appreciate any positive feedback and advice. Hopefully I can get back into it playing as I really loved the game. Thanks much!

Phinny seems to be the best server for coming back and playing on due to high player base, and still not having kunark released yet (I believe it's coming out March). Problem is MQ2 is disabled on that server due to an agreement made between MQ2 developers and Daybreak. Best you'll get is ShowEQ.

Ragefire is a decent alternative, but from what I've heard the playerbase isn't that big anymore.

If you want to go all latest expansions, Vox seems fairly popular but might still feel a bit like a ghost town leveling low levels on.

Phinny is really the place to go for returning players at moment, but it is a bit of a kick in the teeth without MQ2.

Not much will get you banned these days, except maybe /warping and other character movement hacks, though even that they haven't crack down on in quite some time.

The population on Phinny is pretty ridiculous it feels like a server in 1999-2002 era. They had to up the General Chat channel threshold from 400 to 600 and its still full lol.

Finding a group takes about 5-15 minutes vs a live server 2+ hours.

I don't know how long the population will last though after Planes of Power, the population dies out pretty rapidly on TLP servers.

So did I understand that I can't use MQ2 on the new progression servers? In any form?

I primarily used it in the past for the bot programs. Like I would run a tank toon and all 5 other toons are ran by a bot. Is that possible on these new servers?

Or do I have to play it like totally "legit"?

I believe you can use mq2 without active hacks on the older progression servers, but on Phinigel you can't use it all.

I believe you can use mq2 without active hacks on the older progression servers, but on Phinigel you can't use it all.

Right, so the 1 or 2 new servers, I have to find another bot program that doesn't use MQ2? Any suggestions?

There are 4 TLP servers, 3 of which you can use mq2 on.

Phinigel, you and I will never be able to use mq2 on.

I'm not really sure what you are asking here... already stated you could use mq2 on any server except Phinigel. There is no bot program available that I know off for Phinigel. 1-2 people seem to have figured out how to enable it on Phinigel because of how their box toons are sticking, I doubt they are going to give out info on how they enabled it.

Ok, so I just read that on Phin you are allowed one Character per IP and that equates to one box per IP...

...any way around this? Is there some program/software that allows you to "show" you as multiple IP's coming from one? I wouldn't use a bot program at this point I don't think, just a key editor that passes through and set up each toon with their own set of keys so no one does anything at the same time.

Anyway, any ideas on showing a different IP per toon?

Last edited:
Ok, so I just read that on Phin you are allowed one Character per IP and that equates to one box per IP...

...any way around this? Is there some program/software that allows you to "show" you as multiple IP's coming from one? I wouldn't use a bot program at this point I don't think, just a key editor that passes through and set up each toon with their own set of keys so no one does anything at the same time.

Phin is per computer, not IP.

If you have 8 laptops sitting next to each other you can run 8 characters.

Fry, you are a wealth of knowledge... money well spent here!

Ok, so I am assuming if they notice multiple accounts playing at the same time from one IP they may watch it closely. Is there some way they can tell if I am using 1 keyboard to control multiple toons? Obviously I wouldn't map any one key to more than one toon, but I would only be using 1 keyboard to control all 6. Can this be tracked? (again, sorry for the noob questions, I just don't want to make any mistakes)

Yes, they are tracking 1 keyboard stroke relaying multiple actions. i.e isboxer and other software like it won't work and it will quickly get you a visit by a GM watching you, you can read about it more on the eq forums.

Fry, you are a wealth of knowledge... money well spent here!

Ok, so I am assuming if they notice multiple accounts playing at the same time from one IP they may watch it closely. Is there some way they can tell if I am using 1 keyboard to control multiple toons? Obviously I wouldn't map any one key to more than one toon, but I would only be using 1 keyboard to control all 6. Can this be tracked? (again, sorry for the noob questions, I just don't want to make any mistakes)

They have a software method of snooping on your computer making sure there is not two characters on your computer at same time, or you are running vmware or something along those lines to fake two computers. They have stated multiple times they allow two or more computers on same IP to be on server.

I'm sure it's beatable, but again, MQ2 developers have agreed not to mess with Phinny in return for them not to crack down on MQ2 users on other servers so I'm not sure anyone will release software that does it, well nobody in MQ2 community at least.

Ok, now I understand. I think its best I don't even try that server since you guys have the agreement. Rather just go to another server that I can. Thanks Fry.

Last edited:
Yes, they are tracking 1 keyboard stroke relaying multiple actions. i.e isboxer and other software like it won't work and it will quickly get you a visit by a GM watching you, you can read about it more on the eq forums.

Seriously?? They got GMs doing this Gestapo duty but they can't deal with petitions and other service problems promptly?

Seriously?? They got GMs doing this Gestapo duty but they can't deal with petitions and other service problems promptly?

I'm sure it sends out an alert to them when it happens as its kinda hard to have abilities go off at the same exact microsecond interval precisely as logs would show it. No human could replicate that behavior for long periods.

The GM in the case that was posted on the eq forums was actually a coding developer that was watching and flat out banned the guy or maybe it was a suspension, it was the first week Phinny went live. It was Rtugok (sp.?). He is also the one that hinted in that same thread how their monitoring works, which is if 1 keystroke = multiple actions, looks pretty fishy to them.

I'm sure it sends out an alert to them when it happens as its kinda hard to have abilities go off at the same exact microsecond interval precisely as logs would show it. No human could replicate that behavior for long periods.

The GM in the case that was posted on the eq forums was actually a coding developer that was watching and flat out banned the guy or maybe it was a suspension, it was the first week Phinny went live. It was Rtugok (sp.?). He is also the one that hinted in that same thread how their monitoring works, which is if 1 keystroke = multiple actions, looks pretty fishy to them.
Ok, but if I make each key to a SINGLE specific spell on a specific toon and no keys are pushed once and go to more than 1 spell/action, then they shouldn't be able to detect? Following your logic, that is what you are saying.

So I have

Q W E R T Y

Q is Cleric Complete Heal
W is Cleric Quick Heal
E Is Wizard 1 Nuke
R is Wizard 2 Nuke
T is Mage 1 Nuke
Y is Shaman 1 Slow

So I pull with Tank and then hit Y to slow the MOB, Then I hit Q to start complete heal - After Q I hit E (wiz 1 nuke), wait 1 second, then hit R (wiz 2 nuke), wait one second, then hit T (mage 1 nuke).

While I am hitting those keys in that order I am taunting and bashing with my Tank. Are you saying that they have a program or some code that can detect what I just did above came from one computer and 1 IP address? Because that is how I would set it up (obviously with in game macros and /pause etc).

You can link multiple hotkeys/abilities to 1 keyboard key per 1 account per 1 computer, it doesn't seem to alert their detection. But if you have a keystroke activating from the same computer ID to more then 1 account it seems to flag it.

This is really simple, its like you keep running around the same advice which both Fry and I stated. Don't use any type of 3rd party botting software on Phinigel PERIOD.

Ok, I finally got it... I was trying to complicate it. If I want to play 6 toons on this particular server I need 6 computers and 6 keyboards. Blah, pass... thanks all.

That's the point of the server. Make it harder to box so folks have to group.

Does anyone here play on Phinny? IE if I started back up would anyone be down to group up?

I think it'd be interesting to play again without the use of MQ2.

Additioanl question:

As it's a TLP server. Are the bard songs original format? IE can I charm kite again, or does charm still have the super reduced range.