Anyone play on Project1999?

That predates MQ2 would need to find mq1.

Fear was not original content it was added after release but before Kunark

Yup...Plane of Air is the one added after Kunark, PoA was actually the original "CS Home" before SOE/VI decided to make it a public zone and bottleneck the warrior epic :). Plane of Mischief came along with Scars of Velious...

That is something to remember...EQ wasn't even an "SOE" game then...it was Verant Interactive...remember that nice logo when logging in?

Last edited:
This server WAS a lot of fun but they're currently down and looking for a new hosting service due to repetitive DDOS attacks from unknown sources. There appeared to be some "drama" on the server so some people suspect disgruntled players. The hope is they will be back up next week.

Forums and info how install/play, assuming they ever come back up, may be found at:

www.project1999.org

Some posters mentioned that there have been a lot of classic emulations of EQ. Well, maybe in the past but nothing right now comparable to THIS. When Project1999 went down due to this Internet attack, I took a lot at all the other emu servers available and found NOTHING comparable. Sure, there are plenty of player-run servers that give you 5x normal xp or other "spins" on the real game, including one where you get your epic 1.0 handed to you as soon as you make a character. Personally I have no interest in those, it's analogous to buying a chess-playing program and setting the computer's AI on "real stupid." I'm not looking to "beat EQ" inside a week; what I enjoyed about Project1999 is the real "look and feel" of playing EQ back when I started in 1999-2000. What made it really cool was you could go into a noob zone like Crushbone and find as many as 20 players. Getting a group was easy too.

They have a "no-boxing" rule (tracked by IP address) which kind of annoyed me at first but now I fully understand the rationale. Without being able to box, and without being able to twink, everybody HAS to find a group and that makes it easy TO find a group, even under level 10.

The server was a TON of fun if you're into the original EQ experience---and if you can handle the challenge of playing again without MQ!

If/when it comes back online, I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to relive those good ole days.

Last edited:
Plane of Fear was active. Definitely not in an expansion. I've heard great tales of how powerful and difficult that zone was.

I wish their was a good chance we could get a working compile for the old server, i'd probably be hella interested...
This is an old post I know but I have a working compile for EQEmu if anyone needs just PM me.

On a side note:
This game is pretty close to the original feel of EQ back then in 1999. The OOC is set to serverwide which allows you to chat with the whole server and the newbie zones typically have a good amount of people to play with in them. I even went to the old East Commons and found a ton of people bartering and trading.

Last night when I logged on I seen 350+ players on the server tab as well.

Last edited:
Anyone here still playing on p99? They've been hitting 500+ people online peak times. It's pretty sweet.

Given my recent involuntary break from EQ I think I'll try this out :cool:

I'm having a blast....it does a great job at creating that "old skool" feel.

yea im considering playing it too, i hate eq as it is now. i just pl for cash on the side. i like mmobugs forums and blitzkriegs avatar more than recent EQ.

Been on there the last couple months. Kind of lost touch with it when the server went down for a couple weeks intially due to DDoS attacks, and then for server upgrade, but I'm back into it now on a new character. Level 8 wizard. :)

It's a fun server, with a truely classic feel which I like.

Meh I don't like how they'll nail your ass for botting one other toon. Though it's understandable tbh.

do moss covered twigs and earrings of living slime drop there?

I'll play if and when they add some support for PvP.

I wouldn't need much. Allowing red and blue toons to xteam would be good enough, so I can catch groups.

Yeah I putz around on it some, but not much. I usually do the other servers. The project1999 devs have done some fairly elaborate server-side checks to see if you are using MQ2, and I hear will insta-ban ya, so I don't use MQ2 on there. However, I lose the nostalgic feeling after a short bit of running around, and go back to other EMU sites or to Live (when I have time to log in at all lol).

At any rate, I'd stay away from MQ2 if using project1999, if it were me.

htw

p99 is the shit. That is all. If you play there send me a PM please so i can get together with some fellow peeps from this site!

Yeah I putz around on it some, but not much. I usually do the other servers. The project1999 devs have done some fairly elaborate server-side checks to see if you are using MQ2, and I hear will insta-ban ya, so I don't use MQ2 on there. However, I lose the nostalgic feeling after a short bit of running around, and go back to other EMU sites or to Live (when I have time to log in at all lol).

At any rate, I'd stay away from MQ2 if using project1999, if it were me.

htw

Ive ran MQ2 since December and have never encountered any issue with being banned ect... I use the Frysnovember13th2005 compile and ive been warping my ass off for 5 months when i get into trouble... IMO theyre just using the injection detection shit as a scare tactic... But then again I always have MQ2 loaded before i start the client.

Been using the MQ2 Titanium build offered here in the Emulator section for P99 without issue. I really only use the spawn tracking system and some DoCracks though. Never warped, speedhacked, etc. I'd have to imagine they keep track of warping / speed hacking (to some extent) on their end, so I wouldn't be too comfortable doing either of those.

Though there are tons of false positives on the warp detection "Large warp detected" even on legit clients, so they may not have it perfected.

Been using the MQ2 Titanium build offered here in the Emulator section for P99 without issue. I really only use the spawn tracking system and some DoCracks though. Never warped, speedhacked, etc. I'd have to imagine they keep track of warping / speed hacking (to some extent) on their end, so I wouldn't be too comfortable doing either of those.

Though there are tons of false positives on the warp detection "Large warp detected" even on legit clients, so they may not have it perfected.
Yeah, makes sense. A friend of mine at work played on it for 4 days. Then got banned for umm, I think the main dude over there said "macroquest detected on your client". He's never used MQ2 ever lol.

htw