Anyone play on Project1999?

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Project1999.org is a "classic" EQ emu, and this one actually has gone live, like a month or so ago. It seems to have made some modest compromises, since the game has human monks before Kunark.

I'm wondering if anyone here has played on it and seeking comments. The forums trouble me a bit. I do feel nostalgic for that old 1999-2000 EQ experience but for a server that's been up less than a month there appears to be a real shitload of drama, what with complaints of "corrupt GMs" (geez, how much motivation is there to be corrupt on an emu???!!!), guilds cheating, players boxing "illegally" (supposed to be one toon per IP) and other acts of purported malfeasance sure to suck the soul out of any kind of "original EQ experience."

But I can dream, can't I?

EQ "classic" servers are a shame. The game is never going to be as much fun or as interesting as it was back then because there's nothing left to explore. Might as well wait for the UF expansion and live in the now rather than trying to live in an unattainable ideal past.

I've played on several classic servers that worked out perfectly. They were exactly as I remembered playing in 1999, it's not really unattainable at all.

I think a lot of people play for the feeling and challenge 1999 EQ provided, and not to constantly be exploring new content.

Moved this to the Emu forum. Please try and post in the correct forum

What is the compromises here?

My bad. For a moment I blanked out on monks being an original class.

The forums discuss some of the compromises. Frankly, even tho I started playing EQ in 1999, I don't recall enough specifics to evaluate them all... there is an ongoing argument about whether the Plane of Fear was active when original EQ went live, for one example.

Plane of Fear was active. Definitely not in an expansion. I've heard great tales of how powerful and difficult that zone was.

I wish their was a good chance we could get a working compile for the old server, i'd probably be hella interested...

Last edited:
Plane of Fear was active. Definitely not in an expansion. I've heard great tales of how powerful and difficult that zone was.

I wish their was a good chance we could get a working compile for the old server, i'd probably be hella interested...

If you find the date on the exe , you prob could use an old compile

That predates MQ2 would need to find mq1.

Fear was not original content it was added after release but before Kunark

Are they going for launch? I figured classic = anything pre kunark. It could just by my opinion though.

If i could afk bot classic i'd be all over it =p

Most of the emulated servers use the titanium client, some allow both. Project1999 allows you to use either client. There is a great compile with most of the stuff offered today available for the SoF version.

I played a little EQ Mac last week. This is an official SOE server for the apple mac which is an exact clone of the PC version from a little after PoP launch.

I got up to level 9 with about 20 hours played. Not to make me sounds like a total noob, I did fall asleep twice during a med break, but still it's so much harder than it is these days.

It's been great for reliving "the good old days" It's just a shame I can't dedicate as much time I used to be able to, to it, and the server population is maybe 100 people tops.

I'm playing on it now and it IS fun. The install went very smoothly, amazing considering the usual bugs and glitches typical of such things. It is great to hear the original music! There's been complaints of very slow levelling, which I haven't really seen. In any case, the original EQ experience should be SLOW to level, I can remember spending many weeks struggling to level 20.

Some anachronisms though: like spell sets and the inventory window has an AA tab. I don't think there were AA's in original EQ... nor spellsets, IIRC.

And when I finally died I was reminded of the inconvenience of corpse runs!

I played a little EQ Mac last week. This is an official SOE server for the apple mac which is an exact clone of the PC version from a little after PoP launch.

I got up to level 9 with about 20 hours played. Not to make me sounds like a total noob, I did fall asleep twice during a med break, but still it's so much harder than it is these days.

It's been great for reliving "the good old days" It's just a shame I can't dedicate as much time I used to be able to, to it, and the server population is maybe 100 people tops.
You mean you havnt found any XP explots yet? :p

So whats the chances at having enough tools to afk group?

Can anyone link the compile for this one, I can't seem to locate it....