How To Play On EQMac On PC Client - Al'Kabor - Free To Play - Download Client

Fry

Fry Guy
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
EQMac PC Client - Getting Started Guide

What is the EQMac server? The EQMac server is an official SoE server which was created for apple mac computers around the year 2002. The game uses server/client code from early Planes of Power expansion of EverQuest and has never been updated to add any later expansions. This server gives you the classic EverQuest feel from that era which you can't get elsewhere. The big problem was that you required an apple computer to access the server, but now due to this PC client hack you can play the server with a PC client, and with MQ2.

How to set up EQMac PC client:

1. Install EQ Titanium from discs or otherwise obtain a fresh install folder of it. Torrent sites do have copy's of it, or you can ask in IRC, someone may be able to help there.

2. Take the contents of the fresh EQ Titanium installation folder and put them into an empty folder (Example C:\EQMac).

3. Copy the contents of EQMac-Windows-eqmules-Edition-Standalone-v2.2.zip into your EQMac folder overwriting everything.

4. Download EQMac via Sony's web installer here: https://lp.soe.com/eqmac/live/.

5. Take contents of the Resources folder from the EQMac Launchpad download and copy them to C:\EQMac, overwrite anything it asks.

6. Edit eqclient.ini and change the following settings:

VideoModeBitsPerPixel=32
BitsPerPixel=32
NewUI=TRUE
Log=TRUE
CombatMusic=FALSE

The important settings are the ones for video mode bits per pixel, which must be the same as your desktop. Those other settings are optional but I would imagine most people would prefer them that way. The old UI is too limited and doesn't have things like the AA window. You may want to turn on other things, such as velious armor textures. If the game still does not run, try editing eqw.ini's video settings as well.

Step 7 is Recommended but not needed.

7. Download dxtory from Dxtory.com | Download. This is a fraps-like program that has an option to limit the frame rate games run at. The reason why you need this is because EQ will run at many hundreds of frames per second, which is not only a waste of computer resources, but also screws up your mouselook speed. (one axis will be very fast, the other too slow) Click the 'Advanced' tab, check 'Limit Video FPS' and set it to 60. Nvidia card owners can probably use their driver's frame limiter option instead, or other programs such as MSI Afterburner will work.

8. To run the game, execute eqw.exe with admin privileges and make sure to check the box for Fix EQclient.ini.

9. Once in the game, if the 'Choose a Skill' box doesn't appear when assigning Action Buttons, then look for a small piece of the window sticking out in the corner of the screen somewhere. It was almost entirely off screen for me and it needed to be moved.

Advice for people starting out:

1. Grab a copy of MMOBugs MacroQuest2. MQ2 will fix bazaar search on pc client, add right click spell memorizing, add ingame map, plus many other useful features.

2. the 'Alliance' channel is the global chat channel for the server. I suggest doing an /autojoin Alliance to perma join it. Mostly because...

3. Several times a day, people will do MGB (mass group buff) KEI and Valor at the soulbinder in PoK. They will announce this in the Alliance channel. These buffs will last about 3 hours and 40 minutes, depending on the caster's AAs.

4. Money for spells will be a problem, unless you buy it from places such as OurPlat. You can try to kill wisps (I prefer west commons for this) and turn in Greater Lightstones for an item that sells for 8pp in North Karana (good races) or South Ro (evil races). Wisps are level 8-11. In the late teens, kill bandits in Paludal. The Warrens is also apparently good for cash. In the mid 20s, you could kill mammoths in permafrost and sell tusks. At very low levels, you can turn in orc scalps to an NPC (located near the misty zone) in high pass for 5-6g each, which you can collect from low level orcs in gfay and crushbone. Also, some high level players pay a lot of money for certain tradeskill mats. (spider silk and superb rockhopper hides for example) Crafting celestial essences for buyers may also be an option.

5. Zones with a huge experience modifier: Befallen, Warrens, Paludal (a favorite), Crushbone, High Keep.

6. Each city has newbie armor quests that you may want to look into.

7. Press ctrl-alt-r in EQW to release your mouse cursor, and again to return control to the game.

8. Websites:

Al'Kabor Spell Data
ZAM EverQuest :: An EQ Community, Wiki, and Database Site
EQ Atlas
Item/Gear List Spreadsheets
ZEM List
A Guide to Experience Mechanics on Al'Kabor - READ THIS. Al'Kabor has a huge group exp bonus at 4+ players

9. Low level doable focus item quests:

The Magic Pool - Haste II mask
Holly Longtail's Replacement Parts - Mana Preservation II ring

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest turning this into a sticky Fry. I recall a lot of people asking about this.

I'm unclear here. Early morning and still haven't had coffee. This lets you play on Sony's Mac server FOR FREE? Or is this an emu version?

How To Play On EQMac - Al'Kabor - Free To Play - SoE Server Stuck PoP Era

Is EQ-Mac now F2P? Used to be it had its OWN monthly fee separate from the regular Windows servers account. Hell, I'd give it a shot if I could play it on a Windows machine AND no monthly fee...

Yes it's F2P. Has been since around the time EQ went F2P. No cash shop. But no updates to the server, ever. It's stuck at PoP.

So, Velious UI
8 bank slots and no shared slots
Luclin models available.
Velious textures available.
I can bring up the raid tool but haven't been in a raid so not sure it works since it's GoD era.
Old bazaar.
No guildhall or lobby.
No /autoinv or loot all.

It's fun but hard like old times.

Sweet! I'm gonna try it. I loved my time on the emu server, P1999. I levelled 2 toons on blue and 1 on red. But after awhile the drama and griefing got to me. Sounds like EQ-Mac is more "user-friendly". I also didn't wanna blow a grand, or close to it, to buy a Mac PC just to play a game. Making it playable in Windows eliminates my last quibble!

Gotta love this site... it gives you stuff you didn't even KNOW you needed! ;)

Thanks Fry, going to have a go at getting this to work. PoP era was my favorite time of EQ :cool:

Just afew notes to others, you will have to probably play around with eqclient.ini a fair bit.

1. For some reason the options seem to think I can't handle running all new Luclin models, in eqclient.ini look for options such as:

Code:
UseLuclinHumanMale=TRUE
UseLuclinHumanFemale=TRUE

Go through and set the ones you want to use to TRUE.

2. Screen resolution, is found under:

Code:
[VideoMode]
Width=1920
Height=1200

3. WSOCK32.dll gives a false positive to some antivirus programs. Mine did and kept deleting the file on me, made me scratch my head for abit!

4. Since this is F2P, sign up for new accounts. If you do something naughty, you won't risk your EQLive / EQMac accounts and vice versa!!

Last edited:
There a way to increase the display? I set video mode to width of 1920 and height of 1200 but I get a huge black area with the game being played in a 640x480 window. What am I doing wrong?

eqisdead

There a way to increase the display? I set video mode to width of 1920 and height of 1200 but I get a huge black area with the game being played in a 640x480 window. What am I doing wrong?

eqisdead

Think your missing

NewUI=TRUE

in eqclient.ini

That was it, I somehow had two of those windows open when I was changing things. I think when I saved the changes to the second it must have reverted some of them from the first back. I know I had changed that. Thanks for the catch Fry! Good to see you again lol. Can't even remember how long it's been since I've even looked at eq or this site. Been too long...

eqisdead

I keep getting an "Error 1017: Cannot login to the EQ server" after following these instructions. Any clue?

edit: maybe it's because this used to be an eqemu install. I figured copying all the game resources and the eqmac files would fix it. I don't have a clean copy of titanium anywhere =/ I'll have to go on a hunt.

Does anyone know if there is a way around installing this to C:\EQMac ?

I need to put the install in another location.

I think what you need to look into is 'Symbolic Links'

something like "mklink /D "C:\EQMac" "D:\EQMac"

Not used it myself for anything.

We might release an exe soon for eqmac that will solve this along with bazaar trader problem. I have heard of people running it on a D drive, I can't remember how though.

We might release an exe soon for eqmac that will solve this along with bazaar trader problem. I have heard of people running it on a D drive, I can't remember how though.

That would be great Fry. My work laptop will let me put anything on D: but C: is limited access.

Thanks Rooster, I will look into using that one.

Does MQ work on the mac server? Also, I'd imagine that since it's an old server, active hacks, and even old active hacks like ghost kill should be working, no?

Edit: read the instructions properly, and it might save yourself 4hours of **** Yoda007!!

Whoops...

Last edited: