All EverQuest Servers Down

I imagine Sony makes a very nice profit on EQ still. 100k players still bring over a million a month in revenue. I can't imagine their facilities cost are more than 50k/month (including bandwidth). Sony likely shares dev costs across multiple platforms, so say another 200k in people. They are still making a TON of money.

Im beginning to wonder if this maybe the potential end of EverQuest.

To late, ive thought that since last monday! lol

Yeah you should see this doomsaying crack baby, constantly balk balk balk about his 55 thousand accounts and how it doesn't mean jack shit cause real life is down at the moment.

+1 Vouch

I'm jonesin too!

Sony is about profit like any business. Why do you think they cut the hell out of there staff? Why do you think things don't work right?

Like I said when this blows over, if it blows over down the road look for large increases. Someone has to pay for all this mess and I can tell you it isn't going to be Sony in the end it will be you and me.

Mall~

Yeah, but they'd be cutting off their noses in spite of their face if they upped monthly sub fees after this debacle. They are giving us a free month sub plus however many days that the servers are down once this situation gets settled.

You do not do one negative after a negative that already happened and upping the monthly fee on an EQ sub would be a negative in more ways than you realize. The coffin lid on this game is already partly shut, why would you want to slam the lid down and start driving in nails on the lid killing the game for? Because that is exactly what would happen if they upped the monthly fees on the heels of this current debacle.

Last edited:
Well to consider its known for years sony has been racking the players across the coals for cash. over little things like station store and lon It clearly states one thing. The monthly subs are not good enough for them. then our poor economy so the quick over turn of all its employees the reason for this is to keep the paying rates lower for the american employees. So the suffering economy never helps. So after all that sony kept digging its own hole and pissed off its own former workers who knew of the weak holes and the loop wholes which for some reason those employees never patched or sealed up.

It sucks to say but I think within less then 3 months from now due to the 1 month free and how many other days free people get....the price will go up with our government quickly dropping the value of the dallor a price increase will happen.

Subs doubling/tripling in pay? I dont see that happening on the heels of this debacle because nobody would pay it after all of this. If that is what you are assuming there.

They'd be cutting off their nose in spite of their face if they did that.

They wont be so stupid as to do that immediately but I can almost guarantee that in the next 6-12mo your rate will damn near double. That or the next expansion price will go up. Common practice for big business in these situations when they are facing revenue loss (not counting the lawsuits) is to pass the cost on to their customer base... may not be as steep as hinted at but you can count on it since they not going to tell thier share holders they just took a couple million dollar hit in annual revenue with no clue how to recover it!

Personally ya i'll stick around on all boxes unless the downtime continues for another 2+ weeks, but the instant they raise those prices all accounts will go to the marketplace. If minimal cost boost and happens during winter I may app raid guild on main account and let boxes go but still expect to be gone by time next increased cost expansion is released!

Yeah, but they'd be cutting off their noses in spite of their face if they upped monthly sub fees after this debacle. They are giving us a free month sub plus however many days that the servers are down once this situation gets settled.

I've seen that quote in reference to PlayStation but not once in reference to EQ. SoE be foolish not to offer the same to their EQ based clientele but show me someone who has considered SoE as using common sense or logical and I'll show you the next special Olympic champion in *insert random sport*.

I've no doubt they will also offer double exp weekend/full week or some other enticement to keep their player base that is otherwise beyond pissed off at the total lack of service for a week and counting now... will it be enough though...

Long time players or those with high play time and already at lvl cap and at/or near AA cap will find something like that as useful as a third nipple though so that wont cover the proverbial cost of the downtime even ignoring the identity theft / stolen credit card information...

Educated guesses appear to be the soup of the day so here are mine...

Subscription rates (monthly, quarterly, annually) will go up not immediately but withing the next 6-12mo.

Expansion rates will also go up on the next release this fall.

Server populations will significantly decrease due to loss of clients over this debacle to the point they will do another server merge within 18mo.

Raiding guilds previously with closed classes will suddenly find themselves lacking so app away. Being a non current raider but one who previously raided I suggest you actually chat up raiders during their non raid hours to find out how to play your class or shine at it... plus what gear/aa to have. App'ing with under 1k AA or sub par gear/augs is a waste of your time and theirs. Even if they willing to accept you and teach you the ropes as you go you will be a detriment to the raid to start with and most will view you as such and shun you until you actually able to step up and shine as a class leader which most will never be simply since the avg player seems to just be going thru the motions. In that case you can forget getting guild groups unless they absolutely need your class to be able to grind and cant find anything better in the LFG tool!!

Last edited:
Well that's been a fact of everquest. I mean if u want to see what eq is going to look like...log over to zek the php server there is about 100? Player base there and only 1 decent raid guild and 1 far behind guild that takes anyone who is even lvl 85 to 89 and about 1000 aa on the room and hardly able to click afew buttons that's required for there class total melt down for eq up coming. Im thinking the really poor customer service provided by sony has finally caught up to them. But this customer service may choke revenue for sony. Sadly enough not something you want on your resume to try that have your population growth. So much for the progression server lol

Ok dumb question.

I know nobody has a definitive answer for this question, so I guess I'm just looking for speculative replies or suggestions on how I should handle this once SOE is back and running.

Due to recent financial situations, I don't know if I will be able to renew my 2 EQ accounts from month to month. So when I do renew them, as soon as I select a monthly subscription . . and pay for it... I immediately cancel it and let it go to pending state. This way I'm payed for a month and do not have to worry about being autocharged at the end of the subscription if money is tight and I can't renew one or both of the accounts.

When this crap happened with SOE on may 3rd ... both accounts were in pending state ... one account had 3 weeks left on the subscription, the second had a week left and was set to expire yesterday.

Do I have a legitimate gripe with SOE about getting the "30 days + time for each day SOE is down" credit on the account that went into expired state while this crap happened?

I'm thinking I do ... since it was still a valid subscription with 7 days left on it when they shut sown the network access, and I was unable to renew the account since I could not access the subscription server.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I find they screw me on compensation time once things are back up?

Last edited:
I know nobody has a definitive answer for this question, so I guess I'm just looking for speculative replies or suggestions on how I should handle this once SOE is back and running.

Due to recent financial situations, I don't know if I will be able to renew my 2 EQ accounts from month to month. So when I do renew them, as soon as I select a monthly subscription . . and pay for it... I immediately cancel it and let it go to pending state. This way I'm payed for a month and do not have to worry about being autocharged at the end of the subscription if money is tight and I can't renew one or both of the accounts.

When this crap happened with SOE on may 3rd ... both accounts were in pending state ... one account had 3 weeks left on the subscription, the second had a week left and was set to expire yesterday.

Do I have a legitimate gripe with SOE about getting the "30 days + time for each day SOE is down" credit on the account that went into expired state while this crap happened?

I'm thinking I do ... since it was still a valid subscription with 7 days left on it when they shut sown the network access, and I was unable to renew the account since I could not access the subscription server.

Do I have a leg to stand on if I find they screw me on compensation time once things are back up?

I would say yes, you do. The account was still active at the time the servers went down.

Mandalorean said:
I've seen that quote in reference to PlayStation but not once in reference to EQ. SoE be foolish not to offer the same to their EQ based clientele but show me someone who has considered SoE as using common sense or logical and I'll show you the next special Olympic champion in *insert random sport*.

SOE has announced numerous times on the SOE and EverQuest Facebook pages that they will be offering 1 Month + however many days the service is offline to all SOE online games. The same is also applicable to the Playstation+ service.

i assumed our account subscriptions were locked while this was going on?? Thats crazy if they aren't!

i assumed our account subscriptions were locked while this was going on?? Thats crazy if they aren't!

Apparently they are not .... because people have been getting charged for subscription renewals since this crap happened.

<~~~ Was charged while "servers were down". SoE rep just said i would get free time for every day i "lost"

i suppose that is a good sign. they seem to have confidence in the billing system to not be compromised...

i suppose that is a good sign. they seem to have confidence in the billing system to not be compromised...

That's what worries me. Info has been stolen, and they dont have everything secure, yet they are still billing people.

That's what worries me. Info has been stolen, and they dont have everything secure, yet they are still billing people.

Most likely contracted to a third party, much in the same manner a bank hires another to maintain ATM's or scan and hold check images.

Most likely contracted to a third party, much in the same manner a bank hires another to maintain ATM's or scan and hold check images.

just called Soe and they said they R NOT billing, so i checked my account and have not been billed and my billing cycle is on the 4 of each month, so not sure wht u guys are talking bout EQ! or EQ2

<~~~ Was charged while "servers were down". SoE rep just said i would get free time for every day i "lost"

Hence, the +1 of their "make good" plan.

I'm really not seeing 30 days free as being a big enough compensation for all the downtime and the risk SoE has put our information at.

just called Soe and they said they R NOT billing, so i checked my account and have not been billed and my billing cycle is on the 4 of each month, so not sure wht u guys are talking bout EQ! or EQ2

Oh they are definitely still billing, charged on both may 2nd and 3rd. And this is EQ.

Some of my guildies have also reported that there still getting billed.