401ks and a warning about brokers

rob

Super Trooper
Reaction score
Last month I was informed by my Aunt that I was added as an executor of my grandparents estate. A few weeks ago while visiting my grandparents, they showed me their retirement account information. Upon reviewing their information, I quickly became very depressed. My grandparents have been retired over 20 years now, but their broker has had them in various 'conservative' mutual funds.

I started looking up these funds and found they all have an average of 5% sales load (eg: taken off the top of the purchase) and an average of 1-2% annually in fees/expenses. To make matters worse, the funds they were put into actually managed to out 'under' perform the market. In 2009 when everything bottomed out, the S&P 500 was down 45%, yet this 'growth and income' fund, went down over 65%.

Needless to say, I fired off an email to my Aunt (the other Executor) and let her know where they stand and how important it is for us to get them into a no fee, low expense fund. A week later my grandparents scheduled an appointment to see their broker (from their credit union). I had told them that I took last week off and was available any time to meet with their broker.

On Thursday we all met at their credit union to meet with their broker. She was nice in a way a used car salesman is nice. She wore a fancy dress and told us how she drives all over Southern California to visit her clients. She looked over all the accounts and asked us what we wanted to do. I told them we wanted to move out of their current high risk, high feed funds. She said that Putnam (the family of funds they sell) had a lot of options. I interrupted her and asked if there were any without loads and high fees.

She informed us that the load will be waived since it was already paid on previous funds (I actually question if this is the case) and to not worry. She then provided a few funds. Loads aside, I asked about the expense/fees associated and she said, "wow, you're really concerned about fees aren't you?" and then she pointed out the 1.13% expense ratio (which if you research on your own is 1.05% and .25%). She said if we wanted to go with other options we'd need to close our account and transfer to another brokerage. At this point I mentally checked out.

She went on to outline a plan of how she would like to move us into a mix of bonds and conservative stocks. She went on to say that the bonds she is putting us into we would want to move out of in the next year as interest rates start coming up. At this point I started getting really angry as she was already planning more visits to re-balance their portfolio again.

For those unaware, banking financial consultants like her work on commission. Her only interest she really has is selling funds with high loads so she can pocket some money. They don't care, but the fees associated with this fund (PACAX in this case), costs $1800 per 10k invested over 10 years. 18% of your principal is gone in 10 years, on top of the initial 5.75% off the top on your initial purchase (and they said Madoff was a criminal).

The damage? Maybe Millions. As best I can tell is they had 200-300k in the 80ies. The opportunity costs alone on the front load is approaching 100k today. Luckily, my grandparents have a pension + social security, so they haven't needed to tap into their retirement. I'm currently working out a strategy for them to roll over their brokerage accounts with Vanguard, likely into VTINX (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=VTINX+Profile).

The moral of the story? Don't trust people who work on commission, and research all recommendations you get...there are a lot of shady advisers out there.

-rob

The moral of the story? Don't trust people who work on commission, and research all recommendations you get...there are a lot of shady advisers out there.

-rob

That's a pretty huge blanket statement. I'm finding a lot of people who work on commission who have stuck the economy out and are still finding success, are doing so because they have their clients best interests at heart. Consumers are very wary now, as they should be - they're looking to be educated and provided with guidance from knowledgeable sources. People who are in sales on a commission base, are accountable for providing those services.

That being said, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandparents retirement.

my story

saved into 401k (example, sadly was alot more than that)

starting point

monthly contribuitions

to break even at the end of yr shoulda been 2200 (not even interest right)

actual balance about half so lets say 1100

advice i got is ride it out (btw not even stocks but long trusted mutual funds)

yr 2 1100 start
monthly 100
to break even 2300 balance.....

repeat this for yr 3 4 5 6 7

I could have bought crack and at least gotten some use out of funds than to see them dissappear

and for those that want to make the comments about how the market is something you have to stay with over the long haul (u dont live for ever...)

ive known people that held company stock, that I saw w my own eyes worth over 3/4 mill dollars (my bosses plural) only to see that shit come down to not even 75k and as far as i can tell it never came back and or they died, retired etc never to see their life savings come back....

blah even talking about this shit infuritates meh

-rob

That's a pretty huge blanket statement. I'm finding a lot of people who work on commission who have stuck the economy out and are still finding success, are doing so because they have their clients best interests at heart. Consumers are very wary now, as they should be - they're looking to be educated and provided with guidance from knowledgeable sources. People who are in sales on a commission base, are accountable for providing those services.

That being said, I'm very sorry to hear about your grandparents retirement.

If they had their client's best interest at heart, they wouldn't sell them loaded funds with high fees, but they do, because that is how they get paid.

Definitely pay an upfront fee for financial advice.

Aren't the loads with Putnam tiered based on how much they have invested? 200-300k, right? At the company I work for, that'd put em at 3.5% front load on Class A shares.

Or they could go with a Class C share that doesn't have a front load, 1% if redeemed within the first year, but higher expenses.

And brokers typically get a service fee for "accounts under management". So it's not just the intial purchase they make money on. Should give them incentive to continue to work with their clients.

I could have bought crack and at least gotten some use out of funds than to see them dissappear

and for those that want to make the comments about how the market is something you have to stay with over the long haul (u dont live for ever...)

What funds were you in? The amount of money you lost in percentages is staggering. And it is something you need to stay with over the long haul. Trying to time the market is things that even the professions get wrong all the time. It's expensive and nerve wracking to try to do yourself.

if your broker has a 'lifecycle' fund, I highly recommend it for 90% of people who have 401ks. You pick a fund based on the year (mine is VTIVX, 2045), and as you get closer to that number, the fund will progressively get more and more conservative. But check the Fees and Expenses associated with it.

Aren't the loads with Putnam tiered based on how much they have invested? 200-300k, right? At the company I work for, that'd put em at 3.5% front load on Class A shares.

Or they could go with a Class C share that doesn't have a front load, 1% if redeemed within the first year, but higher expenses.

And brokers typically get a service fee for "accounts under management". So it's not just the intial purchase they make money on. Should give them incentive to continue to work with their clients.

Yes, the Putnam funds I've looked at have Class A, B, C, M, R, and Y. All with varying loads, fees, and expenses. The problem is, the broker only spoke of Class A. My grandma mentioned that they used to have Class B funds, but they were moved to Class A. I can only assume that was to get hit with double fees, because why else would you do that?

My employer hasn't deposited the employee contributions for any employee in our company for 1.5 years. Same goes for his matching funds.

I win.

(Yes we all know it's illegal)

Anyone using scottrade for a roth ira? Since they raised the agi limits to contribute I wanna put in the max amount in there. any recommendations as to where to stick the funds?

Anyone using scottrade for a roth ira? Since they raised the agi limits to contribute I wanna put in the max amount in there. any recommendations as to where to stick the funds?

I have Vanguard and Fidelity currently, but I've used others in the past. Either one work great. I'd say that Fidelity's interface is slightly more intuitive than Vanguards. They both have great options for low expense no fee funds.

Both my parents are bankers, plus ive taken a mutual funds/stocks course, and i gotta say, as long as someone else is choosing what to do with your money, you're losing it.

I chose a bluechip dividends fund in 2001 and have stuck with it (havent had much money, so the idea of diversifying my portfolio hasnt been practical), and my stock has averaged something close to 18% a year, and gone 30% in the past 18 months.

Its a No Load fund, and the MER's are waived if you keep over 10k in it.

Yes, the Putnam funds I've looked at have Class A, B, C, M, R, and Y. All with varying loads, fees, and expenses. The problem is, the broker only spoke of Class A. My grandma mentioned that they used to have Class B funds, but they were moved to Class A. I can only assume that was to get hit with double fees, because why else would you do that?

Wow you are so jaded. I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences to make you that way. My company stopped selling b shares but didn't do anything with the money already invested into b shares already. People were restricted from buying new b shares. Putnam probably did the same thing. Look into the transaction history on the account.