1 mouse/pc for multiple pcs

Noah3

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
the subject was supposed to read 1 mouse/keyboard for multiple pcs, but i guess i still need to wake up

i had no idea this was possible , but i googled it and it turns out it is....How to Control Multiple Computers with a Single Keyboard and Mouse

im gonna get on this today.. just thought id share for anyone like me that has a mess of mice and keyboards and would prefer not to.

on a side note, has anyone ever used a gaming mouse/keyboard... the keyboards look really cool, but are also very expensive but the mice seem pretty useful with the hot buttons on the side..(the couple i seen were with this feature)
i was just wondering if anyone would swear by these things or not and how useful they really are for the price

WASD Keyboards Custom Mechanical Keyboards and Cherry MX Keycaps
Mechanical Keyboards Inc - The Ultimate Catalog and Guide.

can change your life as far as typing goes... not everyone likes a mechanical keyboard though.

For a mouse

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-M-M-O-7-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B006LVZEN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396270839&sr=8-1&keywords=mmo7"]Amazon.com: Mad Catz M.M.O.7 Gaming Mouse for PC and Mac: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/314xscu-HAL.@@AMEPARAM@@314xscu-HAL[/ame]

Best damn gaming mouse i've ever used. I would surely swear by this.

Also, i use synergy across 7 comps, it works pretty well :) but be prepared for hiccups, aka keep your old mice / keyboards until your setup is positively working and then after that keep them in a drawer somewhere.. don't just get rid of the old ones ~ or at least keep one pair around.

I use Sharemouse: Share Mouse and Keyboard with multiple Computers

I'm only running 2 computers at the moment. This program allows me to slide my mouse from my first computer over to the second computer (much the same way you'd slide your mouse over to another monitor on the same computer), and use the mouse/keyboard on that machine.

WASD Keyboards Custom Mechanical Keyboards and Cherry MX Keycaps
Mechanical Keyboards Inc - The Ultimate Catalog and Guide.

can change your life as far as typing goes... not everyone likes a mechanical keyboard though.

For a mouse

Amazon.com: Mad Catz M.M.O.7 Gaming Mouse for PC and Mac: Computers & Accessories

Best damn gaming mouse i've ever used. I would surely swear by this.

Also, i use synergy across 7 comps, it works pretty well :) but be prepared for hiccups, aka keep your old mice / keyboards until your setup is positively working and then after that keep them in a drawer somewhere.. don't just get rid of the old ones ~ or at least keep one pair around.

that is by far the coolest mouse i have ever seen, it looks like it is going to transform and kill me...

thanks for the input so far everyone.

I use Sharemouse: Share Mouse and Keyboard with multiple Computers

I'm only running 2 computers at the moment. This program allows me to slide my mouse from my first computer over to the second computer (much the same way you'd slide your mouse over to another monitor on the same computer), and use the mouse/keyboard on that machine.

That's exactly what Synergy does~
Synergy - Mouse and keyboard sharing software

Yeah, I tried Synergy before Sharemouse. It had too many little problems for my liking.

do you have to have a wireless mouse/keyboard, or can it be physically connected via usb?

I've used Synergy for years. There is one problem I could never fix. I use the mouse pan/tilt movement in EQ. For some reason when I'm using synergy the motion becomes ballistic.

The last year or so I've been using Input Director. So far I've found it to behave better and be slightly easier to configure.

Input Director - Software KVM to Control Multiple Computers

The copy and paste clipboard between machines is incredibly convenient.

Synergy drove me nuts so I fell back to what I always find is the best solution: hardware. I bought 5 Razer Nostromo keypads, removed the wrist rest, inverted them and set them up in front of my main computer's keyboard, with extended USB cables to reach the other PCs. Each one has 15 fully programmable keys, and most importantly the programming can handle timed and endless repetition streams.

Computers, video cards and monitors have never been cheaper and since I'm always upgrading systems, I always have my previous setups to use for extra toons. Yeah, I need a lot of deskspace to run all this. Actually I use an 8-foot office table. Bottom line I don't need even to look at the monitors of my cleric and my dps casters, so I concentrate on the monitors for my tank and my puller, in front of which I park all the keypads.

I KNOW there are other, and better ways to do this, including using software like ISBoxer and WinEQ, but this set up works for me and ultimately that's what counts!

Oh, my primary keyboard is a Logitech G110, which also has 36 programmable keys, WITH the capacity for endless repetition as needed.

Last edited:
I've used Synergy for years and love it. The developers who created that software do it open source and always offer feedback.

If you like the software and use it, throw a couple bucks their way. They really do deserve it as I work with them on a few things and very nice people.

I used to use Synergy but kept running into problems. I have been using Input Director now for about 4 years. I can't be happier with it.

I used to use Synergy but kept running into problems. I have been using Input Director now for about 4 years. I can't be happier with it.

What if it washed your dishes?

do either of those programs work across different os? i have 1 pc with windows 7 ultimate x64 and the others with windows 8.1 enterprise x64

I've used both on my current setup which is Vista and Win8.0

If you can get synergy to work (not much setup involved), then use it. I've used it in some places and had problems, and in other cases no problems at all.

I'm using version 1.4.15 due to .16 & .17 crashing explorer.exe on my Windows7 systems.

I've used Synergy for years. There is one problem I could never fix. I use the mouse pan/tilt movement in EQ. For some reason when I'm using synergy the motion becomes ballistic.

The last year or so I've been using Input Director. So far I've found it to behave better and be slightly easier to configure.

Input Director - Software KVM to Control Multiple Computers

The copy and paste clipboard between machines is incredibly convenient.

Input Director is the best I've used for KVM software. Synergy is ok, and I like that it is cross platform but it has a few annoying quirks. Input Director has never given me a problem.