1 mouse/pc for multiple pcs

I've used Input Director in the past as well and it was worked flawless. When I switched from a Logitech G15 keyboard to the G710, it picked things up fine. Same Logitech software, but my macro keys did not have to be rebound on any system. I lost 18 keys down to 6 (not including M sets), but everything transitioned fine for the first 6 of each group. All of my original macros were still there on the list ready to be allocated.

Just took a look at Input Director. Worth a try. One feature I find intriguing is MIRROR INPUT MODE. That allows you to broadcast keyboard/mouse moves to multiple computers simultaneously. This would eliminate some of the problems that arise with autofollow. More interestingly, it would make kiting with multiple boxed kiting-capable toons very easy.

Anyone with Input Director experience: have you tried MIRROR INPUT MODE? Is the broadcast simultaneous with no log on the slaves?

Answering my own question: I downloaded ID to two computers and so far I'm cautiously impressed. There is NO lag in keyboard/mouse input. Obviously if you mirror the mouse your EQ windows need to be aligned exactly the same on the two monitors. An obvious problem would be forgetting to click mirror mode off before entering keystrokes in the master, especially for text communications. (Hitting a letter in a chat window on the master will be interpreted as hotkey input on the slave, lol, with potentially disastrous consequences.)

My slave did get disconnected from EQ at one point, for no discernible reason. I had walked away for a few minutes and came back, with MM on. Maybe a fluke? I will continue testing and report back!

Well, so far I'm loving Input Director. Works great to the extent I've tested it. I respect everyone who recommends Synergy but like I said I tried it awhile back and while I can't remember specifics anymore, it was a headache. Maybe the way my network is configured makes it more compatible with ID. Great tip from all here who recommended it. THIS is why I visit these forums every day!

Last edited:
It looks like Input Director is no longer being supported by the developer. At least the website implies that: he released a beta on 9-28-12 and nothing since. The site doesn't look currently maintained. Windows 8 is NOT shown among the Windows O/S supported and there's no indication it's going to be added altho some posters on the public forums indicate it does work for Win8.

Software of this sort has security implications which generally means maintenance is important. Yeah, I'm naturally paranoid but I wonder if anyone else is concerned. Synergy looks to be actively maintained and developed so guess I will at least try it out again.

... Windows 8 is NOT shown among the Windows O/S supported and there's no indication it's going to be added altho some posters on the public forums indicate it does work for Win8.

I'm using it with win8. It works fine. If your on a private lan I wouldn't be too worried about security. IMHO. Things like your web browser, pdf viewer, etc are much more likely to be attacked.

I do notice the port Input Director uses comes up as "stealth" under grc.com. That's good since it means it's only accessible thru my private network. It's not even "ping-able" remotely. On top of being sure to use the 256-bit encryption with a strong password, and not doing banking on my gaming computers, lol, I am feeling more secure using this software.

I have to admit it's incredibly user-friendly. I'm going to have to make a donation to the developer because this is the kind of software that NEEDS to be supported.

what am i doing wrong

so i tried 1 time a cpl weeks ago to get this going but no luck, then i switched all pcs to windows 7 ultimate. tried it again today and slave is not responding..
i opened the ports in windows firewall both inbound and outbound, its showing the udp and tcp as allowed, when i scan slaves it shows slave not responding.. if i hit the hot key on my master it will allow me to go over to the slave with same mouse, but then it'll shoot my cursor back to master and say slave system failed to respond, do you want to skip this slave? i can cross over to slave as many times as id like but within 2 seconds it shoots the cursor back to the master and shows the error message for as many times as i do it... i know i am doing something wrong , i just cant figure out what.. has anyone had this problem, and was able to fix it?

If you haven't found a solution yet, you might check out KaVoom! , as it offers both keyboard and mouse and keyboard/mouse/monitor switching if this helps. I've only used the KaVoom for the later on one computer and it was easy to set up and run but you do have to buy a license. If you only need the keyboard and mouse control I can't speak to it but it does seem easy enuf.