XP nerf to tasks coing in a few days

Dealings

Reaction score
As many of you are aware, Tasks and Missions represent one of the most rewarding ways of obtaining experience in EverQuest. As of November 15, there will be some changes to these systems that we feel you should be aware of.

Currently Tasks and Missions in House of Thule reward extremely large amounts of experience with very little restriction. These Tasks and Missions had their experience calculated based on a formula that used the amount of experience required to gain a level, not the amount of experience earned from defeating a mob. Unfortunately with the amount of experience required to gain levels continually increasing this led to a situation in which Tasks and Missions gave experience significantly more than they should have.

Group Missions also had an issue, in that they gave full rewards to anyone who was added to the task, regardless of whether or not that person participated at all in the mission.

On November 15th, with the launch of Veil of Alaris, we will be addressing both of these issues. We wanted to make sure to give all of you plenty of notice so that you can take appropriate action and receive the rewards you have already earned. These changes will affect tasks in House of Thule and Veil of Alaris and are as follows:

Experience Rewards
For group tasks not in instanced zones, experience will be awarded to all group members within 300’ of the final step in the Task. This is usually a Hail or Delivery, and in the few cases where a Task ended on killing a NPC these tasks will receive an additional step.
For group Tasks in an instanced mission, Task experience will be handed out upon opening of the chest. Experience will be shared with group members within 300’ of the chest.
Characters will need to be living at the time experience is awarded, please make sure to resurrect anyone in the party who may have met an untimely end before you trigger the experience award.
Other Rewards
All rewards other than experience including progression flags, coin, and any items will be shared as they always have been. No changes to rewards other than experience are being implemented.
House of Thule Experience Changes
As stated above, House of Thule Tasks (solo and group) are currently awarding too much experience. Experience for House of Thule Tasks will be reduced by approximately 50%.

Given these changes we highly recommend claiming any unclaimed Task rewards before November 15. If you claim previously completed Tasks after November 15, your awards will be affected in the following ways:

Previously completed Solo Tasks will receive the modified experience rewards.
Previously completed Group Tasks will receive no experience reward, as the Task Rewards will have been significantly modified.

These changes are being made for the long term health of the game. Please understand that we did not make these changes lightly, but only after significant consideration including a variety of methods to address these issues. Ultimately we picked this method of restricted experience rewards as it was the least invasive and exploitable of all possible options. For most players this should provide very little difference in day to day play of EverQuest, and we appreciate your understanding in the matter.

Highlights for those that dont like reading a paragraph worth of sheet

After nov 15
Previously completed Group Tasks will receive no experience reward

Experience for House of Thule Tasks will be reduced by approximately 50%.

few cases where a Task ended on killing a NPC these tasks will receive an additional step.

Xp will be handed out if you are within 300' and alive at time of last kill or chest opening

They really don't want people leveling in the new expansion do they :\

This has got to be one of the top 5 dumbest things I've seen from this game.

What's that Blizzard? You want my money more than Sony? Well......ok I guess....

God it's like they sit around think of ways to make people quit the game. Every time thye take a step forward they take 2 backwards.

This kills all of the TAs and in some servers it will make it difficult to advance in the VoA progression because groups are hard to find. While I can 3 box (w mercs) almost all HoT Tasks now, I could not when I was going from 85 to 90. I had to buy a few TAs in the beginning until I leveled enough to do them myself.

To me this sucks on so many levels.

So much for banking HOT tasks :(

Bank tasks, die loads of times, claim tasks to re-level, camp out until expansion released. Vet Rezz AA! Tadah!

This is going to push people out into static zones to gain exp...

Which has good and bad, shrug.

At least can still sell taskadds for flags ! :p

We should have all known this would be coming. The amazing thing is it took so long.

Getting 30 aa's at level 90 for doing one task was far too generous. My 90 mage, the toon with the lowest aa's of my box group, started HoT at 400 and "ended" at over 2000, mostly all from doing tasks. And I didn't really pharm them, just did them all to flag my toons and those of my friends.

Plus, being able to get 20-30 aa's just by buying into a taskadd at the last second was always ridiculous. The real question is if Sony is nerfing it NOW... why did they wait so long? And why did they ever allow it? Surely they'd have to know this would happen if they allowed players to get added to a mission at the last second and not even BE in the instance yet earn shitloads of aa's or XP...

The real mystery sometimes with Sony is NOT why they're nerfing something... it's why they ever allowed the situation to come into being which required nerfing.

i don't think ANY tasks gave 30 aa's at level 90........ only time i got that many was when i TA'd a lvl 75

Encourages folks warp to the group before accepting final reward.

not sure why couldn't just finish mission wait for chest to pop, then pocket mercs zone in or even campfire if they are in your FS, everyone zone in , open chest. bam

I really don't understand why people are in revolt about this so much. Yes, I can see the point that they left it in the game for a year, but other then that, I genuinely don't get it. House of Thule is the easiest expansion since... since... since I don't even know. Before HoT, my main character (that I've been playing for sixish years) had just over 2k aa's - 2200ish I think. I played in HoT for a month, then quit for six months, then came back and made a new main, and only started playing my origional main two months ago. In those two months, I went from 2200 to 5322 (max spent) and 30 banked. 99% into my level, fully group geared, and re-auged. A month ago. I also got my bard 90, almost max aa'd, fully geared and auged, and made a couple more bots.

They're adding a little bit more of a challenge back to the game, and I applaud it. Everyone bitches that WoW is too easy? Have you looked at EQ these days? You can literally get from level 75 to level 90 and a good 2k aa's AFK in the GL with plat. Sorry if no one else agree's, but that's my 2cp.

Bravo, Sony. Small step in the right direction.

The amount of aa's awarded were dependent on how many aa's the toon had. My group levelled from 86-90 doing these missions, and with other ordinary XP, and I do recall my mage regularly getting large blocks of aa's from the tasks. Some of these might have been when he was sub-90. But even at 90 I'm pretty sure he was getting close to 30aa's per task, at least until he hit 1000aa's.

In any case, the awards were crazy generous. I think any objective observer would agree with that statement.

They're adding a little bit more of a challenge back to the game, and I applaud it. Everyone bitches that WoW is too easy? Have you looked at EQ these days? You can literally get from level 75 to level 90 and a good 2k aa's AFK in the GL with plat. Sorry if no one else agree's, but that's my 2cp.

Bravo, Sony. Small step in the right direction.

Some truth to this. I logged in a couple of weeks ago and ran into a level 10 necro soloing in Crushbone. I PL'd him to 16, then wished him well. I didn't play for a week. Next time I logged in, he sent me a tell. He was 66. Now this guy hadn't played in 8 years, he knew nobody in the game, didn't receive any twink gear or plat from anyone (so he said) and received no PLing except for the paltry 6 levels I helped him earn. So a close-to-noobie did 16-66 in a week, unaided. He was NOT playing a RAF account, btw. First thing I asked.

The game can probably never go back to how hard it was in 1999-2003 or so. (Altho the popularity of EQ1999 may say something different.) But THIS easy might be too much in the other direction.

This doesn't make any sense honestly. The first few things that shoot out of my brain.

1.) The end game is balanced around people having AAs now. There are at least 2 THOUSAND AAs needed to be fairly competent in end game.

2.) There are nearly no legitimately new players, so all of the veterans are going to have a ton of AAs anyways.

3.) There are so many required AAs that it looks entirely daunting to any new player that unfortunately stumbles into this game ran by whiny veterans. This is probably the cause of #2

4.) WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU NUTJOBS ASSOCIATING DIFFICULTY WITH GRINDING. That isn't difficulty. It isn't difficult to make 200 cheeseburgers, but it is mind numbing menial labor. This is what you are asking for. Not better content, not harder raids. WE WANT MORE GRINDING /stroke

Honestly I think AA XP should be double what it is now just because of how ridiculously daunting getting thousands of AAs is to the average player. If you really think mind numbing tasks are that fun, become an accountant.

What hurtds is losing the reward for any banked tasks

My zerker and rogue have been max AA and exp for months now. Both have 10 tasks banked for the new expansion. The idea, of course, having been that they'd get a jump on some exp or As when VoA went live.

I may take a chance on the 14th and kill them a bunch of times (I wonder of the guy in W Freeport works on live like he does in beta?), use the tasks to relevel to 90 and camp out completely. Then come back on the 15th and exp recovery and get the exp back as has been suggested. (I believe corpses remain for more than a few hours as long as you're not logged in to the account in any way shape or form)

Wonder how far you can go down and still regain 90 from 10 banked tasks?