Zonewide Rare Sploit ?

xzav

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Supposedly there is a PH in a mission somewhere with a super high chance of dropping one of these items. EQ boards said it was listed in server-wide wizzy channel.

Anyone want to share?

people are claiming its the DH Heroic mission scouting ahead if you get the elders like 2 of them never drop any loot no quest item no trash loot just a higher % to drop the rare items. except they're full of shit. I haven't gotten 1 item from it though so its crap.

Last edited:
Hum, yeah I don't think that's it. I have ran that mission probably 40 times in the last week as it is super easy to just run through with box crew.

I have gotten 1 item, but it was from trash not the ph.

Got the Ranger only Bow, and CLR/DRU/SHM 1hb last night ran 9 misisons, killed the Xulious Elders only... quit, get, repeat... If the ELders werent up... scrapped the mission and get another 5 minutes later...

Nerfed 1 hour ago, no more HA Drops. Till they patch it.

really dropped

Got 12 items from the Scout DH Mission today before they nerfed it ... all for sale ... will post links when I figure out how

There is a great deal of rollback talk, no one should be selling or buying these items until the threat of that is gone.

It never ever EVER EVER ceases to amaze me how Sony devs manage to fuck up stuff like this. And then the players pay the penalty. Imagine if you paid 3milpp for one of these items and then it vanishes due to a rollback. Cuz you friggin' KNOW they will take the easy route and just "poof" any items acquired, regardless of whether it's passed from hand to hand in exchange for millions of plat since. Because a player spending 3 million pp on such an item "SHOULD HAVE KNOWN" that it was the result of an exploit. Right?

Yeah, I'm being sarcastic there. And, NO I have not personally pharmed or purchased any such item. It just boggles my mind...

Uhhh, they haven't announced any changes to these items yet...

Yeah, I realize that. But the very fact that they make this kind of mistake, after years of developing this game, boggles my mind.

Either way, rollback or no rollback, it's a cluster fuck. That much is clear. If you're going to introduce high-end gear which is super-rare to obtain then at least have someone check the code involving the drop rate and what mobs drop the items BEFORE a live release. This is Programming 101.

Shit happens. It's impossible to predict when a specific script (something written long before the addition you are making) will do something unintended, as was the case here. I'm sure the drop rate was tested under normal circumstances.

Yeah, I realize that. But the very fact that they make this kind of mistake, after years of developing this game, boggles my mind.

Either way, rollback or no rollback, it's a cluster fuck. That much is clear. If you're going to introduce high-end gear which is super-rare to obtain then at least have someone check the code involving the drop rate and what mobs drop the items BEFORE a live release. This is Programming 101.

Stop blaming the programmers and blame the people who exploited it knowing that it would cause a reaction.

Let me see your code for a 14 year old game. Probably had 100s of programers over the years. its impossible to go over every line of code to find every issue. Somethings can get introduced based on other previous code that up to that point had not released an issue. So every patch stuff breaks and every patch to many people set out with ONE thing going on. FIND ME EXPLOIT for fast gain.

Last edited:
Amazes me how this stuff gets figured out so quickly.

It does give a small bit of credibility I think to some of the conspiracy theorist on the EQ Boards.

were not getting holier than thou are we

every patch to many people set out with ONE thing going on. FIND ME EXPLOIT for fast gain.

cause for those of us that still play the game (i gather some posters dont even play) we want to exploit the game, do pretty much that waiting for a compile after every patch.

usually there are 2 kinds of people that get upset about this type of shit, 1) those that didnt get in the action 2)those that get mad cause they couldnt keep doing it.

every patch to many people set out with ONE thing going on. FIND ME EXPLOIT for fast gain.

cause for those of us that still play the game (i gather some posters dont even play) we want to exploit the game, do pretty much that waiting for a compile after every patch.

usually there are 2 kinds of people that get upset about this type of shit, 1) those that didnt get in the action 2)those that get mad cause they couldnt keep doing it.

I ain't hating I would add there is a third category, those that don't hate that wish they got in on the ground floor so to speak.

I'm not hating, I applaud those that do what they find fun. The ones that did not do the work and just leached off gossip then try to exploit it for personal gain. Well to each his own.

The down side is that causes a massive reaction needed to be taken. Usually hurting more then benefited.

Actions have consequences unfortunately .. IE warp ganking/abuse now makes it extremely high risk to warp.

People exploiting glitches to make profit in game always has made SOE made.

If an exploit takes days or weeks to be discovered, then sure you can't throw primary responsibility on devs/programmers. When an exploit of this magnitude is discovered within minutes of going "live", yeah, I'd say the beta testing was performed in an unprofessional slapdash entirely inadequate manner. (One might even claim to not be entirely sure this even IS an exploit since who's to say what the INTENDED drop or spawn rate is supposed to have been? But I would think one particular mob dropping a "rare" item every time it spawns, and the mob being able to be spawned over and over just by dropping and reacquiring an instance repeatedly, well that does smack of exploit, I think. In other words, there's a "fair warning" here.)

You can't excuse every bug because the game code was originated 14 years ago. You really think the code involving spawn and drop rates for mobs in current or near-current zones is 14 years old and they just cracked it open last week for the first time since 1998 to insert this change?

Anyone who programs seriously, like for a living, knows that this kind of work is shoddy. The devs MIGHT have the excuse that they were given an entirely inadequate budget of cost and time to make these changes, then yeah, blame their managers and supervisors and not them. Contract programmers run into those kind of problems regularly with clients who expect $20k projects to be executed for $5k. But in those cases it might be better in the long run to decline the work than to add a shoddy result to one's portfolio. A hungry consultant takes those jobs... established ones pass.

I get it, a post like mine is going to rub some people the wrong way, namely those who like to take advantage of such shoddy programming. I get that. But please don't think Sony is going to change anything because of one thread on MMOBugs so rest assured this level of exploitable code-writing is surely going to continue to be "standard practice" at Sony. So no worries there! But don't expect tears from me if a rollback occurs and happens to burn you. My sympathy is reserved for the innocent "downstream" players who buy such items, as I mentioned in my first post. Just like in the past when plat vanished from such players after a dupe hack was discovered and remedied.

I get all the rumors flying around about rollbacks and making the items no drop and reducing the stats on everything but I am pretty certain all they will do has been done already ... which is nerf the drop rates ... all the same rumors happened when the cloaks/rings were dropping too much and various other things in the past like Rallos Returns exploit ...

Anyway I have sold 12 of my items so far for krono and or cash and I still got a few more

They are, I can personally confirm

I get all the rumors flying around about rollbacks and making the items no drop and reducing the stats on everything but I am pretty certain all they will do has been done already ... which is nerf the drop rates ... all the same rumors happened when the cloaks/rings were dropping too much and various other things in the past like Rallos Returns exploit ...

Anyway I have sold 12 of my items so far for krono and or cash and I still got a few more

So, going to give refunds now that they are removing items?