When did Microsoft become AOL?

DemonH2

Lifetimer
Reaction score
Just a heads up for Xbox Live users.

After they increased the yearly sub from 50 to 60 they made a BRILLIANT marketing plan. I like to call it the "AOL" method of keeping customers.

In order to keep customers, they make it near impossible for you to cancel. The old links to which you could manage your sub online are now gone. You have to call them to cancel(It says so in the E-mail). Also, I was on hold for 45 minutes waiting to cancel, so I just hung up.

I found a small loophole. I cancelled the credit card that was used back when Sony got hacked. I sent an E-mail to the first support address I could find explaining to them that they did not offer a reasonable method to cancel the service(something I am pretty sure is required by law), and that the card they have is no longer valid.

Anyways so far they tried to bill me and somehow haven't figured out that card no longer works. I got a nice little "Thanks for Resubbing!" E-mail, and strangely no charges have hit my bank. I am eagerly awaiting to see what kind of action they take against my account.

Update: I just called back again, it went through instantly, no hold what so ever. I spoke with the guy on the phone and he said that over the last couple of weeks they have been doing upgrades to their phone systems and that might of been causing the issues. I really don't know entirely what to believe(as I've never heard of a 3-4 week long phone upgrade) but the issue has been taken care of. I was in no way calling during peak hours(I called around 9AM one morning, then around 2 another, then close to 6 another day, all over half an hour waits.) I'll keep this post up in case anyone else runs into issues they known just to keep trying.

Last edited:
When they figure it out they'll unsubscribe your account or you'll end up with a chargeback statement from your bank lol. I've done this for everquest sadly they ended up costing me 50$.

When they figure it out they'll unsubscribe your account or you'll end up with a chargeback statement from your bank lol. I've done this for everquest sadly they ended up costing me 50$.

I'll notify my bank of what is going on, my guess is that will cover me. I have made multiple attempts to cancel.

I just got kicked off Mortal Kombat mid-fight because of my Xbox Gold Live membership expiring lol. I used a card so no idea on the difficulty with CC charges (although I keep a card on file for point purchases).

I'd call them now if you have to(not sure about subbing, I just know you have to for unsubbing), but about half an hour ago i got through instantly.

I just got kicked off Mortal Kombat mid-fight because of my Xbox Gold Live membership expiring lol. I used a card so no idea on the difficulty with CC charges (although I keep a card on file for point purchases).

I'd call them now if you have to(not sure about subbing, I just know you have to for unsubbing), but about half an hour ago i got through instantly.

I meant I used a prepaid card I bought in a store for my sub, but they still have my Visa on file from some purchase prior for Xbox points. I'm still unsubbed.

omg i forgot about that it was such a bitch to cancel AOL

to this day i have an aol (aim) email but dont use em as an ISP

i do remember now there was no easy way to close your acct back in the day

Just to point out.

9am (Lots of people wait for 9-930 to call in being most places don't open till then)
2pm (people waiting for lunch rush to be over making it another rush)
6pm (people getting off work and trying to get it done before they do other things)

That aside. F xbox live