Very Small Stone Tear

Doing the optional step of the following Pillar's tasks will net you a clickie that will evolve the tear much faster than killing Alarans. These three can be done fairly quickly. It does slow down when you get to level 14 or so, but still faster than killing a billion Alarans.

The Word of Anriella
The Word of Erion
The Word of Melretia

There is another word quest, but its not worth the headache of doing.

The Word of Fal`Kaa

I'm sure only a handful of people have ever gotten this fully evolved, but it turns into a type 3 aug.

Last edited:
What kind of mob will raise it?

Is it only Alarian model mobs or will any mobs do it?
This items will evolve only by killing Alaran people, which excludes all animals, elementals, pig-men, original Norrathian races. Tear must be worn to evolve, like any evolving items.
The only alternative is use the Fragment of Legendary Alaran History which grants 10% on tears (capped to 100%), at least up to level 6. It is gained by succeeded the optional part of partisan task in Pillars of Alra.
The bonus is more linked to the max allowed than the %. A lot of people are 300+ on defense skill, meaning a bonus of 3 points per %, but you will always be capped by the max in parenthesis. For example, at level 2, the Tear will only grants 1 points instead of 3 ; you got 2 points at level 4 and 3 point at level 6. And more ironical, when you hit level 7 (2% bonus), you get 0 upgrade since still capped at 3 point, compare to the the 6 points corresponding to 2% of 300.
So progression on Tear is more accorded to the max allowed, which may be far from the annouced % (at level 20 10 points against 15) :
Level 1 = 0 point
Level 2-3 = 1 point -> 0.3% against 1%
Level 4-5 = 2 points -> 0.6% against 1%
Level 6-7 = 3 points -> 1% against 2%
Level 8-9 = 4 points -> 1.3% against 2%
Level 10-11 = 5 points -> 1.6% against 2%
Level 12-13 = 6 points -> 2% against 3%
Level 14-15 = 7 points -> 2.3%
Level 16-17 = 8 points -> 2.6%
Level 18-19 = 9 points -> 3%
Level 20 = 10 points -> 3.3% against 5%
The evolving of this item is already a pain, SOE may at least have not provided foolish information.

notes : As I am writing this post stats for level 14 to 19 are logical estimations

seen this from 1/22/2014 patch notes: - The Tears of Alaris can now be converted to and from augment form.

My Q: how

reply here:

Can now be aug'd according to todays patch nots. I am not even sure if it ever worked in the ammo slot. As we all know stats do not get effected in the ammo slot. Even though the UI is displaying the +10 bump up, that doesn't mean it was ever coded.

There is no way to tell if this item ever even works as the 5% bump is going to be very hard to tell from parses given that it is such a miniscule amount, when you're defense is 400, and you are only adding +10. There is no way to parse out the difference between 400 defense vs 410 defense as the standard deviation is virtually the same. Not sure what the defense cap is at level 100 (can't log into the game to tell). 10/400 = 0.025

For those classes with low defensive caps, this might still be useful , only a parse will tell, for example your defense is capped at 150, 10/150 is a bigger effect. This is all granted the item actually works. After all that, you still have to figure out when a defensive skill check takes place in a combat round and guestimate down the % if its the first, 2nd, or 3rd check etc.

I don't even know how useful this item is, if its aug'able as a type 3 aug maybe...

ASIDE from slight defense boost, noticed last nite level my tear is on there is also a bit of a AC boost from it as well. ANYTHING in game evolving wise is worth doing if max aa s n such, the helm and now the evolving shoulders are GREAT rewards when maxxed out.

on the tear its ALARAN mobs only and best way to max it is the tasks and tablets you get from them on extra step, OR if your lucky tablets can be a random drop on regular ALARAN kills, maybe like every 300mobs if your lucky.

The evolving items ie shoulders or helm, are KILL based, anything that gives XP, personally I liked mass killing in FoS, light blues easy kills and give xp which is what you want on the items.

I recently maxed mine.

I six box a melee crew so doing the missions in pillars was way too much work.

I have my crew pretty much to the point where my crew will jump on anything the puller brings back so with minimal effort I can cycle a room.

Each cycle is about 30-40 mobs and if you are lucky you can get 0-2 fragments a cycle.

I was grinding things while watching netflix and during a movie could expect to get 3-4 fragments. RND is crappy though and you can end up with none.

IF you do this out in the open like I did .... DO NOT GRIND AFK ... you will likely get caught as there are quests and folks will come through.

ASIDE from slight defense boost, noticed last nite level my tear is on there is also a bit of a AC boost from it as well.

Are you sure you are seeing an AC boost in game? I am not seeing anything here in terms of AC on that augment, or on the ammo slot item.

The True Tears of Alaris :: Items :: EverQuest :: ZAM

Also I looked at my defense on my warrior its 390 +10, so in effect its a 2.26% defense boost theoretically. If you parse this you will notice no negligible gain at these numbers. It will just make you feel better about yourself. If you have nothing useful to put in a type 3 then definetely aug it. But there are many classes here who always have some really nice sets of type 3 augs that effect spells. Its always hard to find a type 3 slot open.

And as I said before if you have a lower defense score to start of with then you will actually see this being useful. But your defense would have have to be around 200 i.e. 200+ 10, would be 5% theoretical. Not much more but it might be noticeable at that deviation from a regular parse of a 200 vs 210. Parsing 390 vs 400 you will never notice a difference. Basically the higher your base defensive score the more worthless this item is, unless of course you have absolutely nothing better to put in a type 3 slot.

The aug has no AC on it, but your defense skill will change your displayed AC. So higher defense = higher AC.

But like you say, the gains are very very tiny. But it's something to check off as done, hell of an achievement in its original state and still quiet a hefty one as it is now.

Leveling this in a VoA zone. All or most of the mobs are Alarans and lvl95 to 98 I think. I have more than 6 accounts and plan to round-robin each non-core account to loot 100 Fragments+ lvl15 and then next account, which will probably allow my core accounts to need less or even no Fragments.

Where I am doing this is fairly safe to AFK at and short of some zoning in and training of my team, very unlikely to wipe. I kill @22 alarans every 13 minutes or so with the very conservative pullpath I made. Can set up a pullpath to do much more, but what I got now seems good enough and very safe. I leveled the stone from 1 to 9 in @24 total hours here and looted 65 Fragments. From 1 to 8, I was fine with just going all the way to lvl20 here, but 8-9 seems to take much more kills and makes me want to find a better place.

Are the RoF zones much faster than what I am already getting? Arena in Shards Landing would be out the question for me to do this AFK, but think I can find some other RoF zone.

Casca - the tear xp will get progressively worse the higher it goes. Once you get to level 10-12 you are pretty much 100% using fragments to level it.

you need 20 fragments per level.

If I were going to try and write up something to afk this I would automate the pups of war quest and just kill/loot all the Alaran's in the zone, drop task, recycle.

Last edited:
I was using 6 SK's to swarm Valley to level this thing and it was still the worst thing I've ever done in game. No idea what SOE were thinking with it.

they nerfed the hell out of it it was way harder wasnt rly intended to be finished fast

RoF zones are better to level this in, although other than Shards Landing there is no RoF zone with a good concentration of Alaran mobs. Unfortunately Shards Landing always seems to have a lot of other people in it, so not comfortable just AFKing there.

Also, I didn't really notice the drop rate for Fragments of Legendary Alaran History being any better in Rof zones compared to VoA. I'm just saying the exp. for the tear was better per kill. However, if you're not in Shards Landing mass killing in the Arena, VoA zones might be the better option because there are many camps there packed with Alarans so your chances of getting Fragments are much better.

Last edited:
The SL task 2 instance will level the tear, lasts 6 hrs. Its not great but instance and can be afkd with unlimited mobs for 6 hrs. No fragment drops though.

The SL task 2 instance will level the tear, lasts 6 hrs. Its not great but instance and can be afkd with unlimited mobs for 6 hrs. No fragment drops though.

Is this the "I am the murderer" instance?

Do you just sit on the stage and ignore the part about saying I am the murderer, and the mobs continue to spawn over and over?

Still leveling this damn thing. For 13 accounts. Got many to lvl13-14 and have collected 400 fragments. Still going to have each account collect 100 fragments each and then see where I am, but won't be clicking them till lvl15. If all accounts ends up with 100 fragments before hitting lvl15, then I'll be collecting 20 more per account...point is, they won't click till they are at a lvl+fragment that they can click to completion.

It is about gathering fragments after lvl10. At lvl13, I think you can almost go from lvl 1 to 10 for every 10% in lvl13. It is only getting worse. I plan on splitting my 13 into a few cells. My mage will just be set to roam and solo low lvl Alarans. Then I will split my other 12 accounts into 2 or 3 groups or more if I can find some good spots. The point is to have as many chances to loot fragments as possible. Most of the camps I can safely AFK at are too limited in mobs that I don't really need much to clear the area.

I parked my to0n in the middle of the Arena and edited the botmac so my character would not move at all... and just pulled. Got lots of global drops too.