Trendy whats best thing in my computer to upgrade question?

oroblram

Reaction score
I have a Dell Inc. Dimension XPSGEN5 with:

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Bus Clock: 800 megahertz

I have 4 sticks of 1gig ram, not really sure what it is came with machine.

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX

WDC WD2500JS-75NCB2 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 0
WDC WD2500JS-75NCB2 [Hard drive] (250.00 GB) -- drive 1

Atm using Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

Im using one copy of eq, loading 4 toons using wineq. They run pretty good but after playing awhile i have trouble reloading them if camp one out or heaven forbid he crashes. My question is, are there upgrades i can do that will make a big difference in eq performance. Someday id like to get up to six
toons on this machine, or its replacement (really not looking forward to explaining to my wife why i need a new computer so hoping for upgrade advice)

Im pretty noobish when it comes to these things and it seems like quite a few folks have gotten help with similar issues. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this gibberish, as well as any advice.

Upgrade to 64bit OS and then upgrade to 8 gigs ram. Or go 64bit OS then upgrade video card then Ram

What JJ said.

(1) OS will cost you around $130 or so (Vista Home Edition 64 -- the drivers for XP 64 are notoriously bad, even compared to Vista).

(2) If you upgrade RAM, 4 sticks of 2GB may run you $140 (see newegg.com).

(3) A new video card can run you from $100 to $500 depending on what you get (can get deals on NVidia 8800GT for $100 after rebate when on sale).

If you want to box more, then get the RAM first. If you will stay with 3-4, then go with the video card I would say.

I personally think its silly to upgrade to vista and not go Ultimate. its 170 on newegg. Just do a search for vista ultimate 64 and you can find it fast and easy.

Thanks for the replies guys, feel silly asking but my processer is ok to run the 64 bit os right? Was about to put a order in when i rembered someone saying something about 32 bit processers and 64 bit ones.

You need to check what processor you have but I am pretty sure 90% of processors now adays are 64 bit

You should be okay with a 64 bit OS. While it is not clear which P4 you have, the ones with 2048 L2 cache should all support a 64 bit OS.

You may be able to figure out which processor you have and then can check it out here -- [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_4_microprocessors[/ame]

Oh, and to JJ's post re Vista Ultimate, if you can afford it, then go for it. Retail packages of Vista do not contain 64-bit installation disks. You have to contact MS and request it (using the activation key and they charge you $9 or so ship/hand) EXCEPT for Ultimate. Or at least it was that way 6 months or so ago.

So factor in another $9 if you go Home Edition plus the wait time for receiving the disk, or pay a little more for Ultimate and get the 64-bit installation disk with the box.

What JJ said.

(1) OS will cost you around $130 or so (Vista Home Edition 64 -- the drivers for XP 64 are notoriously bad, even compared to Vista).

(2) If you upgrade RAM, 4 sticks of 2GB may run you $140 (see newegg.com).

(3) A new video card can run you from $100 to $500 depending on what you get (can get deals on NVidia 8800GT for $100 after rebate when on sale).

If you want to box more, then get the RAM first. If you will stay with 3-4, then go with the video card I would say.
You lost all credibility with that line right there, Vista is a fine OS and I have been suign it since RC 2

I think you missed the point he was saying XP 64 Driver support sucks. More so then Vista Driver support. he never said vista sucked.