Ways to reduce system and EQ resources.

Physical memory is faster then virtual memory! RAM>HDD.

Personally aside from partitions, which alot of gamers recommend, using a smaller faster drive and then a larger(sometimes slower )one for storage, I went ahead and striped (RAID 0) two raptor X drives for performance sake. (I don't know how RAID 1 would comapre vs 1 with xp 64 and now vista though).

Disabling services is not the end of the world... omg don't go there, thatn is what I say about the registry.

Disabling services via msconfig, or services.msc is not really dangerous, if you have qualms, just google it. Google RPC Procedure call to see, or Print Spooler, whatever.

I don't know if you mentioned this, but even if you did, allow me to restate this....

When you hit Ctrl Alt Del, and look at processes, you will see what is running.

When you look in your sys tray (the icons by your clock, lower right) you will see some loaded programs/apps!

I highly recommend Using ctrl alt del, googling if unsure, and then..

Start(lower left windows start)
Run
Msconfig(type it in)
Selective startup(check it)
Startup Tab(click it)

And go through here, and uncheck most everything. If unsure, google it! Some of it will be self explanatory, Quicktime stuff, uncheck, Itunes, Ipod, and so on. YOu aren't deleting or removing anything so dont panic. When you start itunes, the appropriate things will load, no worries. If you absolutely must have antivirus stuff running, it is your choice, as anythnig else here is. Just understand it will load upon startup, and eat resources doing so.

Start
Run
Services.msc (type it in)

Some of it you do not need! google if unsure, if scared, make them start manually as opposed to automatically.

But don't freak, you can't "break" your computer unless you are just completely reckless, or start jacking around in your registry.

Also understand that different systems handle things differently. Someone with two 8800 gtx in sli may notneed to disable all the in game video that he mentioned. It will help fps lowering eye candy to be sure, and help if you multi box.

anyway

in the eq folder the file *Data Rate Transfer* cant remember off the top of my head what its actually called. I know you just make a notepad name it something like that..again cant remember the correct naming of the file...and inside type like 7.0 up to like 11.0 or something and that is supposed to speed up everquest. Im not sure where I heard of this before. If anyone has any idea what im talking about please let me know :D

Yeah Terin that went away, you won't get that file with everquest installs anymore.

Was a txt filed datarate.txt and inside had something akin to what you were saying, datarate=7.0 or such. And you raised or lowered the number depending on your connection type/speed.

Thanks echo i couldn't remember i just knew a long time ago i changed the values in there to help me out...although not sure how much it actually helped.

Question:

Coffee says : "This is pretty much mandatory, if you pay for the subscription it allows you to set the Rendering Limit which is key for no lag. Without subscription it still will help more than trying to just load multiple copies of EQ since EQ attempts to gain as much CPU resources as possible, any background EQ sessions not controlled via WinEQ will suffer immensely.
Set your CPU/FPS limiting to CPU for the Foreground and FPS for the background.
Forground should be around 30-40, Background should be 5-15.
For your Foreground Rendering Limit, the method should be x-1 out of x and a range of 40 will work will but you'll notice a slight flickering. For less flicking use 100.
Background use x out of x, and type in 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 10."

You said this about wineq and eqplaynice, but if I set foreground to x-1 out of x, I can hardly play.

Last edited:
Background is the key. You don't really have to mess with the foreground if the flickering bothers you. 1 out of x with x=1 means it won't flicker ever.

does different EQ directories improve performance and system handling?

Thanks for the tip in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes and no, it will cut down on using the same files which will help a bit. Basically if you try to access the "same file" 3 times at the same time, it will bog down other requests a bit. With a fast HD you will notice a difference with multiple directories.

Anthrax/Russell

From what I have heard, it doesn't improve performance. I tried it for a little while, but couldn't see any difference in performance, so I went back to one directory.

Well first off id like to say omg thank you for this guide! Been taking advantage of the eq downtime to implement a ton of things i should have a while ago. Among these i subscribed to, payed for, and implemented wineq2 for all my toons. I however didn't setup a seperate partition since i only have one hard drive atm, and it already has a petition dedicated to something else. I was reluctant to give it another partition. But i did everything else.

Second i got a question. In the services disabling, is there any service i could disable to make wineq2 not function as well? I actually kinda hopped around in the guide not doing the checklist in order. At one stage i setup and configured wineq2 and got it down to only taking about 22% system ram for a instance of eq, leaving 78 remaining.

Then i proceeded to disable a bunch of junk services that i was sure i never used. (Some of them not only useless but to me seemed actually dangerous to have active! Remote registry editing seeming to be the main one.) I erred on the side of caution though and left about 60% that i was sketchy on disabling. Next in this same boot up, i pulled about 10 gigs of pron off my hd and put them on dvds (long overdue) So i reboot rubbing my hands together grinning mischeveously thinking how much better will it run now!? **does the bwahaha laugh from bleach :p** I boot up win eq, open up the profile for a toon with all the same settings i had as before. Now this same instance of eq is consuming 27% system resources leaving 73 remaining. Not a huge deal i know but i was like wtf? I thought it would go up not DOWN!

This is all my first impression though like i said, havn't let it ride out for a 12 hour binge of boxing yet and get to know what the normal ranges are or what it can vary. But since im trying to get this all down in one foul swoop before mq comes back up, just thought id ask now.

Thanks again for the great guide!

Oh p.s.
Im on a athlon 64 3400+
2 gigs pc 4000 (i think) ram
100 gig 7200rpm hd
geforce 8600
win xp pro sp2, fully updated along with drivers for everything else fully updated as well

I am not sure about the WINEQ ...

BUT before anyone starts doing things like this to your computer..... unless you are 100% sure of what you are doing....

Make a restore point before you start.

that way if you disable something... you shouldn't have... and you can't figure out how to fix it...

you can do a restore and start fresh.

:cool:

ARMY

Ive been messing around with the registry and such for years so it wasn't a blind leap. If im not sure on something i just google it and research for a while and at least get a basic understanding.

Post all this everythings still running fine, better i might add. Discovered the variable was just that on first booting up all the toons free resources will take a major dive. Like for me after loading 3 it goes down to about 11% free. Just letting it ride out for a while and system slowly recovers. By bout an hour later i'll have 40% or so free with the same 3 toons. By 2 hours later its like 75% free. Even if im actively using them and zoning around. Not sure weather this is a direct result of wineq or just something the computer hardware does. But either way that was the source of the discrepancy.

End result, pre all this i could barely box 3, and still had somewhat major, or at the very least annoying resource/latency issues. Post all this i can easily box 4 (i dont have any more than that to try it with) and still be golden. Thanks so much!

WinEQ and Vista

I will be stuck in Japan for most of the next six months and will be forced to do alot of boxing. I could easily 3 box on my desktop(2gigs ram/XPpro), 2 box on my fast portable(Duo with 2 gigs/Vista) and run my 6th toon on a slower portable (1gig/XPpro). I have 2 boxed on my slow portable and it will play one toon with most options on fine unless raiding graphically intense zones...My only real problem was trying to get all the toons to follow reliably. I have not been using WinEq (or anything else like it) to help with boxing.
My internet connection is 10Gbit DSL.

I will be upgrading my desktop to 4 gigs and my fast portable to 4 gigs tomorrow.

My plan is to setup my computers like this...

Slow portable
Cleric/mac, so I can quickly intervene if SHTF...

Fast portable
Monk, I will be pulling with him and not be using a mac at all.
Shm/mac, in the background

Desktop
Dru/mac, In the foreground in case I need to exodus quickly.
Pally/mac, MT in the background.
Enc/mac or Bst/mac, depending on situation.

Based on this info I have a few questions,

1-Is it worth it for me to use WinEq since my only real issue now is with following? If yes, which computers should I run it on?

2-Is WinEQ fully compatable with Vista?

3-I have heard running XPpro on my desktop will limit me to 3 gigs of usable memory. Will upgrading to Vista/Home to allow use of the 4 gigs be a performance improvement over XPpro with 3gigs?

4-My desktop will be hardwired to the router at 10Gbit, the portables will be connected by wireless at 54Mbps. Would connecting the portables by cable be a noticeable improvement?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Wineq works well with Vista as it's what I use.

Without Wineq I can dual box fine, 3 toons and I'm very laggy, with Wineq I can 4 box no prob.

Thats geforce 7900 and 2GB Ram Athlon 4400 cpu.

Wineq works well with Vista as it's what I use.

Without Wineq I can dual box fine, 3 toons and I'm very laggy, with Wineq I can 4 box no prob.

Thats geforce 7900 and 2GB Ram Athlon 4400 cpu.

just make sure you run it as administrator

Which do you think works better PlayNice (WinEQ) or MQ2FPS to manage the lags?

would the mq2viewport help to reduce lag or would it make more? Also has anyone had problems with the clickies.mac lagging you out while multi-boxing?

This is all strictly opinion. I'm no expert or anything, but here is what I usually do.

1. Download and use 3 or 4 trial edditions of antivirus software.

2. Backup my stuff.

3. Go into BIOS and remove IRQ ports that I don't use (i.e. printer, COM). Everything is either enable or disable. No auto detect. Disable components that don't have its own RAM or processor. A better graphics card might be a waste of time. I think EQ and EQ2 are both CPU rendered. But if it's an onboard graphics card, diable it right now. Anything is better.

4. You need about 8 gigs for your C drive, you can do more and get away with it but I'm doing just fine with 8. Remember, the more you put into C the more seek time you get. Closer to the top of the HDD the faster the access time, C drive is always closest to the top of that primary hdd. If you chop it up some, like get rid of useless drivers and stuff that would be great. If you don't chop it up, you might wanna add more memory to c drive. I put the paging file on the C drive as well. Install your graphics card and sound card stuff in C drive. Everything else should go to d drive. EQ goes on a different hdd all together. I wanna say I-RAM but I'm broke so I wont bother with that, but if you do have money go for I-RAM raid 0. More I-RAM you got the better. Check this out.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPPRhPV7y0"]I-RAM[/ame]

5. Toss out your Vista disc, it's no good for eq or eq2. XP64 only if you have over 4 gigs of RAM.

6. Tuneup 2009 is great. Especially if you removed valuable windows components. It will clean up the mistakes made in the registry for ya. This is the primary reason why you loose performance with a chopped up OS. I also love the fact that you can make your registry smaller with it. And those useless backup files on the c drive are a real pest, this gets rid of them easy.

7. I never got around to trying this but there is a 1.73 MB Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package. I think that compiles your macroquest2 without the system resource sucker of the whole program. Then again, it might not.

system specs:

2.4GHz dual core
8G Ram
10K rpm hdd
nVidia 260gtx
vista 64 home premium

I run all 6 accounts at MAX settings, with the exception of spell effects, which I only run on my cleric, bard and shammy at 10%. I run the areo effects in vista in the background even; the little preview screens are kind of cool.

The single biggest gain I saw was when I followed the OP's instructions on window fading and setting all the instances' effects in this regard to match; at present, I run at 30FPS in my primary, and playnice settings in the background instances.

BTW, a nice little utility for swapping instance order I found, since vista likes to swap my primary (1st instance) to the last spot in my taskbar:

http://taskix.robustit.com/

I lubs that thing ><