Upgrading my computer, need some advice please

willywaka

Spammer
Reaction score
Upgrading my desktop computer since i've been experiencing lag while playing more than 3 accounts. Would like some advice on how to get the most out of my PC for the least amount of money.

My computer specification is:
Alienware Aurora 7500
Windows XP 32 bit
Corsair 512MB DDR PC2300XL XMSX x 4
XFX GEFORCE 7800 GT 256MB PCIE x 2
ATHLON 64 FX-60 1MB CACHE 939-PIN
ASUS A8N-SLI DELUZE N-FORCE 4 SLI
WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB SATA 10L RPM 8MB HD
HITACHI DESKSTAR 160GB 8MB CASH SERIAL ATA II HD
AMD FX57 DUAL CORE HSF CL-P0075

I was thinking about getting the new Windows 7 (64 bit) with 4 x 2GB Memory sticks and a new graphics cards but i have no idea which one to go for.

yes

you can get anything above pc3200 and it will automaticly downgrade itself to your PCs bus speed. but anything slower and youll slow down your PC.

You might want to seriously consider upgrading you rmotherboard/CPU combo.

Your RAM is DDR1, and your CPU is Socket 939, both pretty obsolete technologies. Your already talking about repalcing your RAM

The Cheapst you can get 4gb of PC 3200 according to Newegg is around USD$120, vs USD$70 for 4gb of DDR2 or 3. That extra $50 could go towards a new motherboard/CPU, and you could probably flog your old bits on ebay and make some more money back.

Also the RAm you linked on ebay is server ram (See how it says ECC REG, that means its Error Correcting, Registered Memory.. It wont work in your desktop.)

ha

lol i didnt catch the server ram thing, GJ!

Your best bang for the buck would be to upgrade to an 8800gt over that 7800. The ram speed isnt an issue that wont cause you lag while playing just make your zone times a little slower if anything.

As for Win 7 I would stay with xp on your machine. your processor just doesnt have the balls to really run it along with multibox eq.

Can't remember, is that one even a 64 bit cpu? Also I have an extra 8800gt laying around that I would sell for cheap.

eqisdead

with 3 instances running on 2 gigs RAM he is not having ram issues. Its video processing or CPU.

As for buying a new computer.. Yea I would agree but 75-90$ way cheaper then 500+.

Mine seems to take up a gig of ram per instance.

I 4 box and my ram is almost maxed, processor is at like 30% usage(quad core ftw)

Mine seems to take up a gig of ram per instance.

I 4 box and my ram is almost maxed, processor is at like 30% usage(quad core ftw)

Same. Around 7gb max used out of 8gb during peak. Running 4 instances at 2560x1600 res., max settings. Almost the same % usage per box. Good to know!

Dont know about you guys but I use 5-600mb per instance.

I can run 15 on 8 gigs 12 on 4 gigs.. You dont need to run massive resolutions... Specially if you have a low end system. You adjust your settings to your machine.

I can't stand any resolution any lower than what i use.

800x600 would drive me insane.

Dont know about you guys but I use 5-600mb per instance.

I can run 15 on 8 gigs 12 on 4 gigs.. You dont need to run massive resolutions... Specially if you have a low end system. You adjust your settings to your machine.

Yeah the 4 main windows (2560x1600's) are for characters I actually play, the rest are at 800x600 which I hardly ever view.

Am running Vista Ultimate x64 atm. Actually bought that copy from a thread I believe you posted on with the upgrade ticket to Windows 7, lol.

upgrade that pos to something thats 512 and at least an 8800 series

upgrade that pos to something thats 512 and at least an 8800 series

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/nVIDIA-GeForc...emQQptZPCC_Video_TV_Cards?hash=item439a803339

Is this compatible? I don't know what i should be looking for to know if it would work with my computer.

Question 1 = When running 3 accounts on my PC I get message popping up saying "Virtual Memory is too low". How do you increase the virtual memory???

Question 2 = I'm going to look at getting the windows 7 + (4x) 2GB Memory sticks + 8800gt (as JJ mentioned). What kind of price do you think this will come to?

Question 3 = If you was to upgrade my processor, what would you upgrade it to? And whats the cost of that roughly?

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
refer to my above post

8800 50-75$
win7 175$
4gigs ram 75$ (its older ram cost more)
so about 300$

939 socket size you wont find a processor worth upgrading too unless they are universal with the AM2 line. I am not a big AMD cpu guy so I dont know their naming policy but just glancing its a different socket.