Ways to reduce system and EQ resources.

Coffee

Reaction score
By request I've converted this into a guide of recommendations. These recommendations will:

-reduce system resources used, allowing more available memory and CPU time free for other programs, EQ being one of them
-help your system run smoother as a whole
-allow more copies of EQ to be loaded, allowing you to run more sessions of EQ for multiboxing
-allow for less lag for existing sessions if you already multibox

Download and Install

Windows XP Service Pack 2. If you have automatic updates installed you should have gotten this years ago, most modern computers and copies of Windows XP come with this by default, but if you still don't have it, you really need to get it. You can verify you have it by right clicking My Computer and selecting Properties. On the General tab, which is displayed first, at the top you will see Microsoft Windows XP on the first line, second line will tell you which version (Home/Professional/Media Center), third line should say Version, and the fourth line is what you need to look for. If there is no fourth line, you are in the stone age and need to get SP1+2 asap. If it says Service Pack 1, you still need the second as it has many crucial fixes, some relating to processing and memory usage. If it says Service Pack 2, you're good to go.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

Link for all other Windows Toys *check here if the main download link changes for "TweakUI"

WinEQ2 - sign up and pay the subscription for even better performance, free version should be mandatory even if you only run one session.

System Tweaks

Swap space/Virtual Memory

Brief Description
In the old days when you had ## of memory, you had ## of memory. People devised programs that reorganized data to "double" your RAM and things of that nature, but in all cases when you hit ## of memory in use, that was it. You'd get ugly messages or little pop up boxes telling you you're out of memory. You'd get ugly Abort/Retry/Cancel boxes, blue screens, stuff like this. Swap space/Virtual memory is a method to overcome this limitation. When a program or game needs more memory than you have available, hard drive space is used to store the extra information so that it can still run, though slower than normal. Other features exist such as moving things in memory that have not been accessed in a while to this virtual memory so that more memory is available for new programs to run or programs currently running.

Best Configuration - Using 2 Hard Drives
Install a second hard drive with small storage space. An 80gig drive is ideal as its the least amount of sectors to be accessed but still allows for modern technology for seek and access methods. Be sure to verify the following before purchasing: access time 8ms or less. The lower access time the better. Some vendors will refer to this as "seek time" instead of access time.

After installing the new drive, create a partition around 2100 size on the second hard drive. For ideal gaming leave the rest of the space as unpartitioned. If you want to utilize it the space then make a second partition for the remaining space. Try to only use this space to store files that you do not frequenly open and certainly for nothing that will be running while you are playing EQ. Using this for a MP3 storage drive would be a poor idea, but using it to save your wedding photo's or your movies would be fine. Just don't download torrents directly to this drive, move them over after they are finished completed files.

For this setup, you will want to use this 2100 size partition as your only source of paging file. Right click on My Computer and select Properties from the list. Navigate to the Advanced tab and then where it says Performance click on Settings. Navigate to the Advanced tab and at the bottom where it says Virtual Memory you will want to click Change.

You should at this point see all your drives in the list. Highlight your C drive and select No paging file in the list of radio buttons, then click set. This will disable the virtual memory on your C drive, which is where EQ should be. If you have other partitions, do this for all partitions on the main hard drive, as we will only be using the second hard drive. Now for the new partition 2100 size you've created, (Likely D, though possibly another letter you will want to highlight it again. This time select Custom Size and set both Initial Size and Maximum Size to the same value: 2048. After typing that in both places, be sure to click Set and then OK three times. You will probably be asked to reboot, say No the first time until you have clicked OK out of all Windows. Then it should ask you again, go ahead and say Yes and it will take effect immediately.

What You've done
This setup is the most ideal because now the virtual memory has its own drive. Its being accessed independently from your main drive, therefore its able to be accessed much faster than before.
You've also removed the size range in your paging file (the file Window's uses as its virtual memory storage). Having a size range causes your paging file to grow and shrink as the space is needed. If you open a file on that drive and the paging file needs to grow larger, it will fragment, meaning part of the file will be in one area of your drive, and part will be another. From this point on, any time that paging file is accessed, it needs to be pieced together before anything can happen.
There is zero justifyable reason to have a variable size paging file in a normal PC setup. Best practice is to always set the Initial Size and Maximum Size to the same - and it NEVER defaults that way.

If you only have one hard drive

If you only have one hard drive you have no choice but to use that drive for your virtual memory. Follow the steps above but do not disable the C drive, as it should be your only in the list. If you have multiple partitions, its best to put the paging file on a drive letter(partition) other than the one EQ is on. If you only have one partition then C will be all in your list. The key is to use the above custom size. You can even go bigger if you want, but its not suggested especially for low memory systems. The more that can go to the paging file, the more that will, and hence the slower your multiboxes will run.

My Computer options

Right click My Computer and select Properties
Navigate to the Advanced tab
Find Performance and click Settings
Select Adjust for best performance

This will disable Windows Themes and other graphic intensive features of Windows XP that reserve system memory and eat CPU time every time they are accessed, such as an animated start bar, and other animations when windows minimize or pop up, they may "look cool" to some(yawn?) but they don't do anything but slow you down.

Next click OK and then move to the Remote tab
Uncheck Allow Remote Invitations to be sent from my computer

If using Media center/pro uncheck Allow users to connect remotely **If you've enabled RDC and have a reason for this to be there, you likely know enough not to need any of these suggestions.

Move on to the Sytem Restore tab.
If you never use system restore, I highly suggest disabling it as a whole, for all drives. If using the above 2 hard drive swap space configuration, absolutely disable it for your second hard drive. Some casual users live by this so in these cases leave it, but most folks learn:
1. System Restore stores copies of virus/spyware/malware and is pretty much nothing more than a depot for maliciousness
2. System Restore really isn't going to fix whatever problem you have.

Click OK or Apply first then OK if your computer has a lot of spyware and doesn't really accept the OK button. (In which case, clean your spyware and malware out because that's the reason your system runs slow, fyi)

Windows Resolution, Display Properties and Desktop

The lower you set your Windows Resolution, the more amount of memory EQ can draw from. Also take note that any images used as wallpaper reserve system memory to exist, and in the event you alt tab and it needs to be redrawn, the desktop itself will eat CPU time and switch from paged memory to active memory, slowing you down.
Best performance will result in having only a windows system color (looks ugly but worth it). The same can be said for ICONS on the desktop, put everything you need on your start menu and have your desktop empty.

Right click your desktop, pick Properties
Select the Desktop tab
Here you can pick NONE for background, and then pick a color using the color box to at least make something tolerable to you. If you refuse, your choice. Either way:
Click Customize Desktop
uncheck all icons at the top (My computer, internet explorer, etc) and you'll have nothing but the recycle bin.
Use TweakUI or google 'edit windows xp registry remove recycle bin' to remove the recycle bin as well, for a completely iconless desktop.

While you are in there uncheck Run desktop cleanup wizard and you won't have task scheduler using resources (minimal but every drop in the bucket counts).

Click OK once.

While you are in Display properties also click the Appearance tab and then the Effects button. Uncheck both of the first Use transition option and the second Smooth screen fonts option. Also uncheck Show shadows under menus, Show window contents while dragging, Hide navigation key and click OK.

Services

Click Start and select Run.
Type services.msc and click OK or press enter.
To disable a service, Right Click the service name in the list select Properties. From the dropdown box choose Disable and click OK. Depending on what's running at this time you'll see a progress bar telling you its stopping the service, just wait for it to do its thing.

Common services you can disable:
If you have a router / don't use Windows Firewall, "Application Gateway Service"
If you don't care about Windows Update, "Automatic Updates"
If you don't use Windows Messenger, "Messenger"
If you are the only person who uses your computer, "Fast User Switching Compatability"
If you never pick "Help and Support" from the Start menu, "Help and Support"
If you don't care if windows warns you about not having antivirus, "Security Center"
If you aren't adding new Network equipment any time soon, "SSDP Discovery Service"

There are many others in the list, use Google to learn about them, but don't follow the mindset of disabling everything is better. Some will cause Windows to have access issues and crashes so don't disable anything blindly. To learn more about services and what they do here's some links:
http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_unnecessary_services_on_windows_xp
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm
http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services_2.php

Registry
Click Start and select Run
Type regedit and click OK or press enter
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then SOFTWARE then MICROSOFT then WINDOWS then CURRENT VERSION then RUN
(after doing run also do RunOnce and RunServices)

If you have no idea what should be running, look for anything suspicious like "qttask.exe", and "sunjavaupdsch.exe", which run in the background and check for updates for Quicktime and Java at their leisure. Anything you don't know, you can google the exact filename.exe and it will tell you what it does. Use caution here if you are not confident, some software loads here such as support for USB devices, printers, and sound cards. Learn everything you can about the file that is there before choosing to delete it.
***This is one of the most common places for spyware programs to hide themselves.

This will remove any programs starting without your knowledge eating CPU time and system memory.

Startup in Start Menu

Click Start, and then Programs, or All Programs.
Find your Startup folder. Anything in this folder will be started automatically when Windows runs. This is a more user friendly way of adding programs to be started automatically whenever you start your computer, so you will only see things here that software companies don't care if you turn off. Things like Adobe Gamma Loader or their stupid photo finder that installs by default with PDF reader get put here. Most everything uses the registry and the more brutal ones install themselves as a service(hateful malware being the worst), but check here just in case, and if you see anything you don't need, take it out.

Group Policy
Click Start and select Run.
Type in gpedit.msc and click OK or press enter.
XP home users, you may not have this option, but you can if you want, following this guide:
http://www.geocities.com/kilian0072002/GPEditHome.htm

There's so many options here I don't want to go over them, but if you load this up and go into the options under Administrator templates, there are hundreds of options that can disable common features that eat resources by using group security policies. Policy is actually better used to disable things you just don't want to happen ever for ultimate PC control. Their primary use though is restricting user power in a business environment (good to screw with your children though, or piss of your friends though also). To learn more google "group policy" or "gpedit.msc". Here are some links:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/policies.html
http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=61

on to...

EQ-Specific Tweaking

WinEQ2 with EQPlayNice

This is pretty much mandatory, if you pay for the subscription it allows you to set the Rendering Limit which is key for no lag. Without subscription it still will help more than trying to just load multiple copies of EQ since EQ attempts to gain as much CPU resources as possible, any background EQ sessions not controlled via WinEQ will suffer immensely.
Set your CPU/FPS limiting to CPU for the Foreground and FPS for the background.
Forground should be around 30-40, Background should be 5-15.
For your Foreground Rendering Limit, the method should be x-1 out of x and a range of 40 will work will but you'll notice a slight flickering. For less flicking use 100.
Background use x out of x, and type in 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 10.

EQ Options settings

Load up EQ. Only load one copy while modifying settings, as EQ and WinEQ will overwrite themselves in the same manner macroquest.ini works. Meaning you can change everything, and if you close them out in the wrong order nothing gets changed at all. If you are now using WinEQ2 (and you better be), load it within WinEQ2 as that uses its own profile especially if you create custom ini files for each character as I do. Pick Options before clicking the Login button. In the EQ Options program:

Click Deselect-All for models and click then click Next.
Uncheck sound (this is a big gain in CPU and memory)
Uncheck social animations (this is a big gain in memory)
Set your resolution - as low as you can tolerate
Uncheck mip mapping
Uncheck dynamic lightning
texture quality = low
Uncheck texture caching
Uncheck texture compression (as this is no longer functioning correctly)
Click Finish

Now exit out of the game all the way and reopen the session, log into game

EQ ingame settings

The sad news is - this will need to be done for every character you plan on boxing, but its a one time hit if you use the same few characters on consistant basis

Get in game on the character

**Always use default UI or a custom UI that does not use any custom tga, or preferrably stripped tga that are even less quality than EQ's (its possible!)

Type /showgrass off
Type /showspell off

Hit ALT + J to open the Journal Window.
Uncheck the Enable Journal Logging checkbox.
***If you experience a short delay every time you aggro a mob, this is 100% the cause of this. This overall will improve performance.

Now hit Alt + O to open options

If they arent, slide all sound sliders to the left = 0%

Click on Display
If you want: Unclick Show PC names (very little gain but noticeable when around many players / raid)
If you want: Unclick Show NPC names (very little gain but noticeable when around large amounts of NPCs, good to do on any toon that is being macro'd for heals or something that you don't need to see)
Uncheck Level of Detail
Uncheck Show My Helm
Slide Fade Delay all the way to the left (0.0)
Slide Fade Duration all the way to the left (0.5)
**Transparency is HUGE. This can make or break your multiboxing
Transparency will default to 100 with fade to defaulting to 50
The kicker is not all windows default to 100 even though the slider says so.
So pick the transparency you like and slide both sliders to the exact same percent. This will NULLIFY window fading, which is a primary source of CPU time lagging out multiboxing. If you prefer 100, you need to slide the top Transparency (which will already be at 100) down to a value lower such as 90 and let go of the slider, and then wait a second and slide it back to 100, this will correct the windows that do not default to 100.

You can have different transparency values for different windows on your screen at the same time, the crucial factor is that the Normal Level and Faded Level for the window is THE SAME. Having any sort of fading, even if they are 1% different, will screw you up. But having a window of 100/100 for your health and then having your chat 70/70 is fine.

Of note: any additional chat windows you create will still default to 70/50 or so, so be sure to reset the values to the same whereever you want them.

Max frames per second you can keep low, if you keep it at 100 wineq will still limit it below what eq will try to limit, but the lower the limit in EQ initially, the better

LOD Bias -- VERY LOW / all the way to the left

Disable all three tabs worth of particle effects, meaning set them all to:
Near clip - Near
Density - OFF
On for - MY SPELLS(Spell) / ME(Player)
Opacity - 0%
***Set opacity slider all the way to the left for all three

Far clip plane - The lower the better

Gamma - does not matter

Sky Type - OFF = least amount of memory
Load Screen = NONE - no memory used for loading image during zone time

Now click the advanced button

Uncheck ALL checkboxes on the right and CHECK Disable Tatoos

Shadow clip plane - all the way to the left / off

actor clip plane - slightly left of the middle for your primary character (30-40% ish), all the way to the left (5% ish) for any bots that are on autofollow all the time

Dynamic Sky Size = Tiny (32)

Sky reflection Update = Once Per Minute

Terrain Texture Quality = Minimum

Last edited:
Something that's been good for me is one of the new features with Vista, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost"]ReadyBoost[/ame]. The article claims there isn't a noticeable boost when you have 1gb of ram or more, but I'd disagree with that. I have 2gb of ram, and 4 boxing on this comp it's much better with ReadyBoost enabled.

Overall I've had a good experience performance wise upgrading from XP to Vista as far as boxing goes (but with that memory eating Aero theme turned off). I'm sure that'd vary by system, but with how easy it was to bypass activation, it doesn't have to cost you anything to find out =p

Nice

Do any of these options reset back after patches. I thought I had set some of these at minimums to run multiple instances and after having problems running 2-3 at a time recently I found they were reset to defaults.

But this info was great alot I didn't know.

Thanks

Well, been using pay version for couple days, and went step by step through what Coffee also posted. After all that, no real improvements LOL.

The only thing I couldn't do was put up a standalone drive for a swap file.

I have 2 SATAs, and 2gb ram, and an Nvidia 96xx (i think, forget off top of my head) with 512mb PCIE, and a P4 3.4

Drive C contains windows OS and a 4gb swap file.

Drive D contains EQ

Can get more specific, but would love to be able get my system rocking. My older AMD 1.8 with 256 agp is getting almost 2x the frames I am, which I find hard to understand.

One suggestion

The sad news is - this will need to be done for every character you plan on boxing, but its a one time hit if you use the same few characters on consistant basis

Get in game on the character

-Always use default UI or a custom UI that does not use any custom tga, or preferrably stripped tga that are even less quality than EQ's (its possible!)

You can actually do this on one character, log completely out, go into the EQ directory, and copy the UI_Character_Server.ini file form the one you set to the other UI setting files you have there. It carries most of your window settings, and a lot of stuff, so should automate a lot of that. Hope that helps.

Doing a "save as" with your character INI file works, quite well.

One caveat... If you're copying one file, over an existing one, you should probably back it up (or move it to another location) as some settings are saved internally to that file.

Like: Autojoin channels, tradeskill favorites, just to name a couple

this post is great! I got my megabites back!

Just wanted to drop by and say thanks. This has helped me a lot with my box. I am now running 5/6 accounts smoothly on my vista laptop. I do want to add that if you are running Vista, ReadyBoost can help quite a bit.

Virtual memory section is quite wrong.

There is zero justifyable reason to have a variable size paging file in a normal PC setup. Best practice is to always set the Initial Size and Maximum Size to the same - and it NEVER defaults that way.

This is COMPLETELY untrue. It's actually the other way around, there is zero justifiable reason to have fixed size, it's actually a very bad practice and shouldn't be used. This advice might have done something back in the day but not in Windows XP and up. If you feel warmer inside with a fixed swap then just make its minimum size what you would want for that setting and maximum size higher. This will give you the best of both worlds. The whole 'fragmentation' thing doesn't apply here, swap files don't work this way.

Having a separate drive will help but it's really overkill, especially if you are slapping your old 80gigger in which probably has a much smaller buffer and might overall be slower.

To sum up, yes extra drive will help but you most likely won't notice is, just get more RAM, it's cheap nowadays. All the other 'tweaks' in this section are mostly useless and can actually be bad when you run out of ram (hence really bad practice).

Careful with disabling services, if you have no clue what you are doing just buy more RAM.

Startup programs can also be enabled/disabled from msconfig/startup (run->msconfig). It's a good practice to check there once in a while for spyware/viruses.

WinEQ2/EQPlayNice
I always used WinEQ1 and MQ2FPS for this so that's an alternative.

EQ advice sounds good, obviously the more you disable/set to minimum the faster your EQ will run and eat less memory.

My biggest advice to you is buy more RAM. It's like what, 30$/gig nowadays. That's 2 months of EQ, I'm sure you can afford it. Milking your system to the last drop can be fun but the 3% you might win in performance will not be in the same league as spending 30$ and putting an extra gig of ram in.

This is COMPLETELY untrue. It's actually the other way around, there is zero justifiable reason to have fixed size, it's actually a very bad practice and shouldn't be used. This advice might have done something back in the day but not in Windows XP and up.

I'm going to have to call BS on that. Resizing the pagefile is an expensive operation for Windows to perform.

Ever seen the bubble from the attached image pop up from your taskbar? If so, you'd know that when it happens it makes your computer virtually unusable until it completes, and often leads to application crashes.

In a perfect world, everybody could have enough RAM to have all they need in memory and not need a pagefile at all, but that's not always an option. I know that keeping my pagefile in its own partition on a separate disk from my EQ partition has helped greatly in my zone times (cut them down by half). And yes, I keep a separate partition for EQ, just to make sure that the directory is at the fastest part of the disk and to avoid fragmentation.

Attachments

• vmTooLow.gif
    vmTooLow.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 78
I'm going to have to call BS on that. Resizing the pagefile is an expensive operation for Windows to perform.

Ever seen the bubble from the attached image pop up from your taskbar? If so, you'd know that when it happens it makes your computer virtually unusable until it completes, and often leads to application crashes.

In a perfect world, everybody could have enough RAM to have all they need in memory and not need a pagefile at all, but that's not always an option. I know that keeping my pagefile in its own partition on a separate disk from my EQ partition has helped greatly in my zone times (cut them down by half). And yes, I keep a separate partition for EQ, just to make sure that the directory is at the fastest part of the disk and to avoid fragmentation.

You know that this popup will happen with or without 'set' amount of RAM right? It is much more likely to happen if you don't give windows enough memory by setting it too low. Separate partition for swap/soft on the same drive will actually slow down the execution because of drive head movement between the two partitions. Obviously having a separate drive swap is good because there is no competition for data.

I know people love believing in these myths but they've been debunked a long time ago. You can call BS all you want but I make a good living from knowing these things for sure and not just on the surface what I read on the internet.

Just googled a bit, here -
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php
and some more myths for you http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

Few years ago I probably would have agreed with this 'optimisation' but now I know better.

especially if you are slapping your old 80gigger in which probably has a much smaller buffer

An 80gig drive is ideal as its the least amount of sectors to be accessed but still allows for modern technology

I believe this came across that a modern hard drive is the recommendation. The entire suggestion is due to the fact it will definately increase performance having two drives. This is not up for debate. You are absolutely correct there normally will be slower access time having two partitions on the same drive, the reason behind my suggestion is fragmentation. Which brings me to...

This is COMPLETELY untrue. It's actually the other way around

No, absolutely not. Both links you provided as reference also provide nothing to suggest otherwise other than the authors stating its a myth with no proof provided. It would be nice to think that Windows XP+ handles the impregnating of the page file properly, but the absolute truth is that it does not, and in many cases still allows the page file to become fragmented until the next time the page file is reduced in size.

You learn this as a installation best practice for XP in A+ cert courses because it is a question in the 220-602 exam. Its also printed as a best practice for new server installations in two separate texts written for the exams for SBS 2003 and now for R2. Though I haven't taken the exam yet to know if its on them, even MS employees write this as fact.

In my Essentials prep class our instructor was cool enough to show us this first hand by opening 500+ MB image files and word documents concurrently and closing them over and over with a parsing program similar to the one you linked, with more detailed output and a visual map layout of the hard drive sectors, and it was amazing to watch the activity if you're into that sort of thing. Point is sure enough it only took 2 or 3 minutes to start seeing the fragmentation take place, and the load times almost tripled.

Google is great at looking up people's opinions, but that doesn't make them accurate.

Google is great at looking up people's opinions, but that doesn't make them accurate.

One of the most true statements that I've read in a long time.

When doing research towards my degree (nursing), I found a study that PROVED that pregnant mothers who smoke crack cocaine don't have a higher incidence of birth defects than mothers who don't get coked up.

We ALL know coke causes defects.

The study proved otherwise.

Of course, if you read the study, you'd find that they basically controlled out 99% of the defects caused by coke use. So it was total trash. But if you only went by the results, you'd never know. So, find research that supports what you're looking for, and find that it's well-run experiments, becuase given enough definitions, you can prove basically anything to be true. Even that which isn't true, even remotely.

Very nice job here i went through and did most of this on my lesser computer and i get almost 0 lag. i didnt use that computer because of lag and now i dont have to have 3 accs on my one computer i can have 2 on the good one and one on the crappy one.

Thanks a ton

You learn this as a installation best practice for XP in A+ cert courses because it is a question in the 220-602 exam. Its also printed as a best practice for new server installations in two separate texts written for the exams for SBS 2003 and now for R2.

Don't take this the wrong way but A+ means nothing other than the person can read.

If it were written as fact in an MCSE course then it might lend it a little more credibility.

Steve

...but we aren't debating the person, we'd be debating the content of A+.

Regardless, the text that references it was in regards to 70-282, which is a SBS MS cert test if you are such a fanboy. I won the book at TS2, so they certainly endorse it even if its not the exam guide itself...

------------

Was going through a server 2k3 book I keep as a pocket reference today and here's another quote:

Best Practice - Although Windows Server 2003 can expand paging files incrementally as needed, this can result in fragmented files, which slow system performance. For optimal system performance, set the initial size and maximum size to the same value. This ensures that the paging file is consistent and can be written to a single contiguous file.

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 - Administrator's Pocket Consultant - William R. Stanek - Published by Microsoft Press, Redmond WA, 2003

do I need to provide any more proof of this concept? That's another from the horses mouth.

Last edited: