The Evolution of Math in the United States

It's not just math. Look at what Instant Messaging has done to this generation's grammar.

HAHA that is some L337 Sh!t 4 sur m8.

I absolutely refuse to talk to my own sister on AIM. I know she has a good vocabulary. I know she knows how to spell words. I know she knows how to type.

Yet somehow her brain seizures, her fingers start to convulse and spasm when she goes to type and a simple sentence becomes horribly mangled and by the time it reaches me comes out looking like "Wut r u up2".

Poor lass.

type and a simple sentence becomes horribly mangled and by the time it reaches me comes out looking like "Wut r u up2".
It takes me longer to write "Wut r u up2" than it takes me to write "What are you up to?". I actually have to think about how to "spell" the words on the first example, I don't on the second.

My older brother did the same thing, i got him to stop though :p

Everytime he wrote something "leet" or lazy or whatever you could call it (usually just the abbreviations and "u" instead of you, "2" instead of to etc.), I'd do one of the following:
1: Respond with excsessive leet that would be completely incomprehensible (always used a translator, as if I myself could understand it).
2: Ignore him till he wrote it properly (I used this the most)
3: Grade him on his performance; "God damn this is the worst piece of grammar I've ever seen, I'm not even going to lower myself to trying to understand what the hell you just wrote" etc.

Basically I did anything and everything to tell him how moronic it looks to type like a 6 year old when he's 25 (at the time, now 32). Sibling love :)