Streaming Television

cudacuf

Retired Stripper Banger
Reaction score
I've started looking in to Streaming Devices for Television, like the Roku. I was wondering if anyone else has any of these devices or has researched them.

I'm not looking for answers about Torrents or anything like that. Strictly looking for Streaming Devices or to bring up the conversation or getting rid of cable completely.

I've tried the Roku and a WD Live and didn't really care for either one.

I find a Windows Media Center PC is still better than either of them so that you don't have to worry about whether such and such is compatible with the device. If it's not compatible with a PC then it isn't worth wasting time on hehe :) The Roku HD that I tried had trouble supporting quite a few file formats, and was also rather troublesome to set up to stream videos directly from my NAS. The WD Live was better about this but still just didn't give me everything that I wanted.

At the very least though if not a Windows Media Center PC, I'd go with a PS3 over any of the streaming devices.

xbox360 or ps3 with wmc is a decent way to go. I am still far more hooked on soft-modded xbox with xbmc, though. No indexing, don't even have to unrar them. That's assuming you can still snag one, along with a remote control for it.

Otherwise, my favorite 'designed-for-streaming' device I ever used (outside of xbox or wmc), was pinnacle, which had excellent speed, UI options, and codec compatibility.

htw

XBox 360 is what i use, and my Samsung TV has AllShare built in.

xbox360 or ps3 with wmc is a decent way to go. I am still far more hooked on soft-modded xbox with xbmc, though. No indexing, don't even have to unrar them. That's assuming you can still snag one, along with a remote control for it.

Otherwise, my favorite 'designed-for-streaming' device I ever used (outside of xbox or wmc), was pinnacle, which had excellent speed, UI options, and codec compatibility.

htw

I have a soft-modded xbox I would be willing to part with pretty sure it already has xbmc loaded and such.... that is if you are referring to an old school xbox thats soft modded.

Last edited:
Biggest thing I'm looking for would be something that allows for local network (Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS), sports channels (ESPN and NFL Network), and if Premium Channels plan to allow services through these devices (like HBOGO). Anyone know if any device or if xbmc allows for these?

I think you're SOL. You can work around local networks by having a tv card and streaming it, but sports channels and premium channels tend to require subscriptions to cable/sat.

I use my ps3 and TVersity for streaming. I use netflix on the ps3 for shows/movies and i got a free local app on my TV that gives me free local fox/nbc/abc/cbs esc.. + TNT/espn/tbs.

I have a Boxee box and it is pretty sweet. It is still pretty New so there is a few little bugs every now and then but apart from that I love it.

In Australia there is a lot of content not available like Netflix etc, but in the US you should be able to get them all.