SOE has made the final decision to not bring Al'Kabor

That is the suck.

What worries me is what they do effectively to these long-term loyal players is a preview of the shaft that awaits all of us someday...

Im old and forgetfull probably stoned too. Anyways.. Was not Al'Kabor the free mac version of EQ?

Mac version yes, but it was never free. It has a pretty dedicated following from my understanding. I played on it about a month a couple of years ago.

It's kinda cool because it's permanently stuck at PoP, with "period-correct" PoP things.

The weird thing is they just recently updated the server for the first time in the better part of a decade.

Last edited:
Interestingly... there's a long angry thread over at P99 complaining that the guy who runs the eqmac private forums (eqmac.com I believe) will NOT allow mention of P99 there, even though moving from AlKabor to P99 would probably provide the closest thing to gameplay continuity for all the people royally SCREWED by Sony's treatment of them.

Its punishment from God for them buying Mac to begin with.

This really just blows my mind. Al'Kabor was my favorite of all EQ servers. It brought back great memory's and was so much more fun to play than Fippy ever was.

All they had to do was allow a PC client to connect and they would of made a mint from it which would practically get a huge chunk of P99 server population. We even had a PC client connecting at one stage until they started doing updates to the server for the first time in 10 years about 3 months ago which put our development on the back burner.

I thought SoE were badly out of touch with the player base when they started bans for "hacking" when they had turned a blind eye for things like /gate for over 8 years. I though at the time it was there game to do as they please, if Jimmy wants to instantly get back to his bind and they don't agree he should be able to, then by all means warn him against it. They start outright banning 10+ year old accounts, then implement there own method for everyone to /gate. Make sense?

None at all...........Someone in SoE is making extremely bad decisions. Keeping Al'Kabor costs them practically nothing due to no CS on server, no needs for any maintenance staff, and could be a bigger cash cow than Fippy ever was, yet they are just going to let it go. They had a loyal fan base, and had an investment that was making more money than costing them they are just throwing away.

My bet is, they might forego scrapping it with all the outcry over it.

But maybe not. Who knows.

I know someone who claims to "be in the know" (dubious) who says they're rethinking it already. Regardless of that, I still think there might be a chance they don't close it.

Especially after FTP coming. I know Mac users who were going to give EQ a whirl. Maybe they were just feeling lazy about implementing FTP changes onto ak'kabor since they don't have the resources to run their game.

The first thing I thought when I heard EQ was going Free to Play was that I could play some EQmac.....guess we'll have to wait and see if they really do kill it forever.

Don't know if anyone has been keeping track but they have changed their mind.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=29039

Allakhazam said:
It seems like the tale of the brave EverQuest Macintosh players of Al'Kabor has now come to a conclusion! About half a month ago, we reported that SOE would be closing their EverQuest Macintosh servers during their shift to Free-to-Play and, following the public outcry over the closures, some very distant hope surfaced in the form of a community poll asking if players would be willing to play on an updated EverQuest client for the Macintosh. Still, Smedley could not promise any results for the community, in spite of the poll accruing a "Yes" vote ratio of 88%.

Yesterday, however, it seems like Valentine's Day was good to John Smedley and SOE, as he has since announced via Twitter: "Ok EQ Mac Players. You are a wonderful group of players. We will leave it running with no changes or subscription fees. Details soon."

As to what these details are remains to be seen, but I'm sure most EverQuest Macintosh players are simply relieved to be to be playing for that much longer. Kudos, SOE!

Yup... the entire mac server was tweeting the president of everquest to save it.

I would pay bank for some sort of edge on the mac server. Even if for just a map function and a mild speed function. If it got out that hackers found the mac version, the mac community would be crushed and of course we would abuse it.