Slightly useful way to get mobs to help you kill

Privateer

Reaction score
I work the night shift and have one of those jobs where I can actually play at work sometimes. Unfortunately, I was having a hard time finding groups at those times so I was doing a lot of bow kiting in Icefall Glacier with my Ranger. This is a very, very slow way to solo; but I remembered something I use to do way back in the new days of Kunark with the Goblins and Sarnaks who are hostile to each other in Lake of Ill Omen and tried it here.

I would run to the top of the glacier and shot a single arrow into a Codeye Orc, then run it over to where the Kobolds are. Right before I got to any Kobolds I snared it, then used my Innate Camo to invis. There are two static spawn points where two Kobolds pop and I walk behind them while invisible. The Orc will continue to chase you and when it gets close enough both Kobolds will aggro on him and they start fighting. I then moved to the side and while they were all fighting I snare both the Kobolds. Right at the end as the Codeye Orc is about to die and tries to run I would root him in place so he would fight to the death and do a little more damage to the Kobolds. When he dies the Kobolds will turn on you.

If you pathed the Orc right in the middle the Kobolds will have attacked simultaneously and now both be around 60% health or so. If you are off a bit one of the kobolds might get several swings in on the Orc before the other Kobold aggros and then you will have one at like 40 something percent and the other like 85% which is not too helpful and I will tell you why.

If the mobs are below 51% when you start to kill them after they were damaged by another mob you will not get exp for the kill. When they die the body immediately dissolves and you get nothing. If you have a way to break combat like Feign Death, or root it and run far enough away, Zone and come back or Succor... then the mob starts healing really fast and you can just wait till it gets over 50% and start killing it. But FD is the only really viable way I think. Any of the zoning will take too long and it will be at full by the time you get back to it even if you rooted it right at the Succor point.

You can also do this going the other way, using Kobolds to help kill Orcs but its not as practical making this exp way even slower as you won't find any two Orcs standing close together. So instead I would snare the Kobold near the Orcs..then build a lot of aggro with the Kobold by casting several Tangling Weeds then either go invis and path him by an Orc, or stay a long distance from the Kobold but visible still throwing the snare to build aggro but far enough from any Orcs. Then reverse kite; let the Kobold chase you as the Orc beats on it. When its down a bit, root it in place and let them fight. Snare the Orc as they do and when the Orc wins start kiting it.

How this is useful is if you can't get a group, or possibly needing to kill a certain amount of Kobolds or Orcs or need quest drops from them like the Portal Stones, Charms or parchments, etc. Most groups don't want to fight those mobs and rather go after the Red and Yellow con Mammoths, Bears, Spiders etc. I say this is only slightly useful since it takes way too long to kill bow kiting. Maybe other classes will find it useful as well though.

This method can also be used in the Steppes versus the Gnolls but its even less useful there. I would tag a Gnoll with an arrow and run it to the nearest Centaur guarding the Grove. Snare it and path it to the Centaur where they start fighting. The Centaurs path close togehter though so many times 1 or 2 more would Add. This would work better if you want to kill Centaurs, which I didn't. But you could let the Gnolls damage two Centaurs standing together, then finish them off yourself.

The problem for other classes not a Druid or Ranger is there are a lot of Leopards walking back and forth here and I believe they will aggro any other non tree hugger class and they are social. And I am not sure how the Centaur view the evil races as well. The problem for me though is I did not want to mess with my faction with Centaurs so I would run in when the Gnoll was running and hope my Finishing Blow would Proc. The 32K damage would give me the exp for the kill no matter how low the health was. However this is very unreliable and if you don't get that proc you just wasted your time doing this. I was only getting the exp about 1 in 3 times doing this which was about the same time it would take me to bow kite a single Gnoll by myself.

There is something I want to try though using this strategy. In the Steppes there is a named Gnoll named Hunter Groppa with two tethered Gnolls that follow him. I am thinking of rooting or snaring him. But not damaging him since he summons. Then take his two tethered buddies deep into the Grove and let the Centaurs, Treants and Druids there kill them for me... then tag Groppa and bring him to a group to kill without having to worry about his friends.

Another idea just like this is in Icefall... there is a named Orc Tarnuk Farwalker who drops the armor molds and other loot. He also has two mobs tethered to him as well. Most groups just kite them while they kill him but I might try running them to the Kobolds and let them kill them. There is also a named Kobold named Bloodfoot who has two tethered Kobolds with him. I want to try running them to the Orcs and let them kill them for me.

Something that didn't work at all for me though was I tried to do the quest for the Dog Whistle solo..Timmi Fell Down the Well Quest. I tried a couple different ways to use the Kobolds to kill the Orcs in the well... snaring a bunch and pulling them to the well... and then just aggroing the Orcs and running them to the Kobolds. But apparently they are not KOS to them and it didn't work. I probably wouldn't have gotten credit for the kills for the quest anyway since I wouldn't have done any of the damage but I had to try.

As a side note on one of my 4 attempts at the Timmi Quest I accidentally snared a Kobold caster which I brought to the well. Which was a mistake as he dispelled a snare on another Kobold once and I had to resnare it when I was kiting 6 of them. But when I got them into the well I think he must have cast some kind of AOE spell... I can't really be sure.. I warped out so not to get killed. But when I warped back I saw the Kobolds killing one of Orcs that had not despawned from one of my previous attempts at this. I am guessing his AOE spell went off... aggroed one of the Orcs and it actually started them fighting. But I didn't get credit for any kill on my Quest so I figured it was either one still up from one of my previously failed attempts or simply because I did not do 51% of the damage so I got no credit for the kill. I couldn't really think of any way as a Ranger to have this help me, at least not here... But possibly it might be useful else where... get a caster mob, especially one that likes casting AOEs... snare..and root it near a mob that typically won't aggro on it. Then stand beside that mob till an AOE goes off that will hit it as well. Maybe it will cause it to then attack. Anyway, something to think about. So be on the lookout for mobs that hate each other and maybe you can put this strategy to use elsewhere. Possibly use that light blue con mob as a sacrafice to help you speed up taking down that red con mob.

Last edited: