Rundll32.exe damaged/missing/corrupt help

BuffBot

Once You Go Hack, You Never Go Back
Reaction score
I went to The Pirate Bay last night and just on thei home page a Trojan installed itself (assuming from an ad that was NOT clicked on btw) called XP Antivirus Pro that I have heard about in the past. It disabled malwarebytes and other scanners so I could not easily get rid of it. I was able to install SUPERantivirus and run it. After it found the infections, removed them and rebooted, I could no longer open any .exe files.

It would ask "open program with" and ask me to choose a program. I then started getting rundll32 errors and it said that it was not there. I'm guessing the virus attacked it and when the antivirus found it, it was deleted. Does anybody have a good place to get that file online? I could download it, save it to a thumb drive and then put it back into the system 32 file I would hope. Or does anybody have any other advice?

I cannot run msconfig by the way.

I had that happen before. Do a system restore, thats what worked for me

I'd suggest a system restore as well. In a lot of cases, a system restore isn't enough as some times the malware will corrupt or even edit the system restore files to include their malware.

I had a similar problem recently -- the malware attached itself to the exe file regestry so anytime I opened a program (like malwarebytes) to get rid of it, it would go through the infected program first. It got to the point where it was almost impossible to open anything.

I rebooted the computer in safe mode and tried to run malwarebytes and sbybot search and destroy to no avail (since the program had changed the registry, it still "booted up" when I tried to run anything in safe mode).

In the end, I discovered if I ran Spybot (which in the end was the only program that was able to get rid of this nasty malware) by right clicking and "Run as Administer" (in Vista Ultimate ... and even though I have UAC control off), the malware would get passed and Spybot finally loaded successfully and wiped it off my system.

In the end, I have WHS which backups all my computers, so I could have wiped the HD and started fresh, but I don't like taking that option unless I have no other choice.

I don't know what you got infected with, but it sounds like maybe you could try this and see if it helps.

Additionally, I wanted to say that I think you might have the same thing I had -- at least your symptoms are the same or similar to what mine were.

My malware was posing as "Vista Internet Security 2010" and kept giving me popups and "infections detected" scan boxes. In taskmanager, it was running as process "av.exe" and like i said, it was a b**ch to get rid of.

Good luck mate.

I can't do a system restore because when I try, windows says "Please select the program to run" and it won't let me open it. I am missing the rundll32.exe to run files and I just simply don't know what to do. I'm no longer getting pop-ups or the virus on my taskbar etc, but I plain and simple can't run anything at all. Does anyone know how to replace the rundll32.exe file when it's missing? I have SP2 and can't find my windows disc anywhere...

I do not want to do a reformat because the last time I tried, all of the drivers were missing and I couldn't even get online to get them.

Press , umm, f8 or f11 when the computer boots up, i forget which one it is

I can't run system restore. Tried during start-up and tried while logged in. If you have a way around that please let me know. I can open programs now by right-clicking and then clicking "start" rather than "run". This is because my rundll32.exe file is either corrupt or missing. I have a file there, but it doesn't look like the white square box. The icon looks like a small blue-ish piece of paper.

It's a shot in the dark, I don't know. Was hoping someone here would have an idea of how to repair it.

FIXED! Holy Shit! I stumbled upon a program called "Registry Easy" that I was able to download for free. I had already tried registry mechanic, but this tech site said, "Before you reformat your PC, just give this program a shot". I did..and I'm glad.

Open (right clicking and selecting "start"). On the left side under "System Fix" there is an option of "File Association"

Inside that there was a red highlighted area ".exe" and the "current value" was off.

Selected that and hit "fix" and BLAM!

Wow, I have spent the past 24 hours on this crap and I fixed it with a 1 second click?? I hate computers...