Recent Framerate Loss/Lag?

dadada

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed recent framerate loss and constant CPU?
The lag gets progressively worse to eventually unplayable randomly within 15 minutes to 3 hours.
The framerate drop is very specific and distinct. From 90+ FPS to below 30FPS instantly and the FPS never get better, only worse.

I've narrowed it down to only when MQ2 is loaded (without MQ2 framerate drop/lag is never experienced).
I've narrowed it down to happening even when minimal plugins are loaded:
mq2map
mq2eqbc
mq2chatwnd
mq2mmobugs
mq2ic
I've narrowed it down to happening when not doing any action in game on the character.
Example: You log into game and sitting in an empty room in house and do nothing. Within 5 minutes your framerate has dropped into the 20's and the cpu is seeing high load from eqgame.exe.

it's observed in Windowed mode and Full screen mode.
cpuaffinity set to -1 or locked to any specific CPU.

My OS is Windows 10 and on an 8-core AMD.

For opinion, I don't remember this lag happening near the release of TBM and prior. I could 7 box with zero lag like for 6 hour non-stop instances for 24 hour+ plus on end without reloading EQClients.

Has anyone else noticed the onset of lag recently when running MQ2?
Does anyone have suggestions, keeping into content this is happening with that small subset of plugins loaded and requires no gameplay for the lag to start up?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Interesting problem. I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be running MQ from a shared folder. MQ2HUD was reaching out to an ini file.

I have found that the "resource monitor" found under the performance tab of the task manager can be very helpful in tracking down which programs are being hogs.

Other than that, I'd keep removing plugins until you find the specific one.

Yeah, I made sure my troubleshooting unloaded MQ2HUD,MQ2MELEE, and other plugins that might auto-update data onto the screen or process things like downflags.

I can't help but "guess" it's something in the recent changes Daybreak made for MQ2/"True Box" detection and MQ2IC/MQ2Core interaction.

It could be just my one system..., but with only the listed vanilla plugins enabled and doing nothing in game the CPU/LAG starts I can't imagine this one is scoped to just me (of course it's theoretically possible!)

For me, I realized 2-5 second freeze with or without MQ.
This was happened 1-2 weeks before TBM released.
I thought was video driver, but have same experienced on my laptop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having an issue since TBM launch or the patch previous to it, where when I log into the game I get about a 5-10 sec freeze on each account within 10 mins of first loading into the game.

Happens on all my comps, I'm going to guess its related to mq2fps or something. Its not really bothersome though, as it only occurs during the first load into the game, no macs running even etc.

Another weird issue I'm having is my eq folder is on the SSD drive, but sometimes it will time out at server select screen, and I hear a clicking sound from my computer tower each time I load up an account at server select to character select (that clicking sound is something totally new as well as the time out).

Its almost like my SSD drive is acting like a rotational HDD and needs to spin up lol.

Last edited:
The 10 second freeze happens to everyone with or without mq loaded. It's eqgame scanning for third party tools.

Don't take my word for it, log in to a clean client, no mq loaded hang around for a few mins and boom, there is the freeze.

It cant be bypassed because the server expects a return.
I would bug dbg to put that scan in a thread instead though cause I can see that it must be annoying to everyone playing, be it they use third party tools or not.

The scan itself is fine, it's just that it needs to be run in its own thread and not directly from the mainloop as it is now.

The 10 second freeze happens to everyone with or without mq loaded. It's eqgame scanning for third party tools.

Don't take my word for it, log in to a clean client, no mq loaded hang around for a few mins and boom, there is the freeze.

It cant be bypassed because the server expects a return.
I would bug dbg to put that scan in a thread instead though cause I can see that it must be annoying to everyone playing, be it they use third party tools or not.

The scan itself is fine, it's just that it needs to be run in its own thread and not directly from the mainloop as it is now.

Can you please share little more on this.
when DBG does the scanning, does it scan our machines, or just EQGame folder.

In other word, doesn't matter we use active hack or not, once the scan is going, dbg would know if MQ2 is activated?

Thanks,
HL

I'm still working on this issue.
I went so far as to install VS 2015 Community Edition (I have an active MSDN w/ VS subscription, but I don't use VS just subscriber downloads for server app testing :)).

Dowloaded Vanilla from MQ site, compiled it and ran with a client and 100+ FPS.

Essentially took that list of plugins and erased my normal mmobugs plugin section with this:
mq2ic=1
mq2chatwnd=1
mq2eqbugfix=1
mq2itemdisplay=1
mq2labels=1
mq2map=1

And running 100 FPS for a while now!

The only thing that was present before when I had huge drops in performance were these (and all the plugins listed with =0):
mq2eqbc
mq2mmobugs

So I guess I'll add them back in and see.
There isn't anything from the mmobugs server side where a client account can be force into some kind of internal debugging mode where my account might be set like that (far fetched, I know, but figured I would axe!)

Yeah, my shits runnin 120FPS with these minimal plugins lol

Last edited:
The culprit plugin looks to be mq2mmobugs

Within a few short minutes after adding that plugin in, system FPS goes from 100+ down into the 20's.

Can a DEV check that out please or let me know how I can provide any more needed info?

Last edited:
I've made a few modifications to our release that are performance related. I will push it shortly after a bit more testing. Hopefully you notice improvement.

htw

I've got plugin mq2mmobugs added back in and eq framerate/performance so far is good now.

Care to share any details on the changes?

Sure. There were a few things, mostly minor (some old bagwnd code, for example), but the main thing I found was one of the variable types had not been changed when we went through the code to deal with the windows GetTickCount() function. A lot of plugins will usually use pulse counts or timestamps to only update certain stuff every so often, otherwise you get performance hits, and in this case it was miscalculating and calling a couple of functions a LOT. I watched it push up the OnPulse() benchmark from 0.5 seconds to over 5.0 seconds within a 10 minute period, as it got further and further buffered. Once I recoded the stuff, I never saw the benchmark go above ~0.6 seconds average, for about an hour of monitoring it.

Sorry you got caught in that bug. Some people wouldn't even notice, based on system uptime, but quite a few would have (and a couple of you obviously did!).

Thanks for reporting the issue btw, so I was able to work on correcting it.

htw