Q's on some computer/EQ problems.

CapriiRecords

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I was running EQ through Steam for about a month with zero problems. After the 6/1 patch - I started noticing extremely long zone times. I went from 10-15 seconds per zone, to roughly 1-3 minutes per zone.

I figured maybe it was Steam, so installed EQ normally - hasn't helped.

I've noticed a few things in the last few days of screwing around. I'm running Vista Home 64bit, with 6gigs. Yesterday when I launched EQ and went into the options screen, the page that allows you to select and de-select models listed me at 4096MB of RAM - 2k short of what it was running before the 6/1 patch. Today I went back into the same options screen, and it says I'm running 1024MB of RAM.

Also - whenever I launch EQ, or MMOloader.exe - my display suddenly reverts to 8-bit color, and I need to go back into display options to return it to 32-bit.

What I have done:
Completely uninstalled Steam and EQ, reinstalled EQ.
Reinstalled the OS and all drivers.

At first I was figuring this was related to the 6/1 patch, because everything was speedy before that. Now noticing that EQ is clearly only recognizing 1/6th of the RAM I have - I imagine that is directly corresponding to what's going on.

I have also tried to run EQ under Windows XP SP 2 under the compatibility option, but that hasn't made any difference.

My video card isn't particularly hot, system hardware has all drivers installed, and is listing 6GB of RAM total.

Beyond this I'm totally clueless - any help would be appreciated.

I thought that originally - but nothing on any virus scan, and I figured reinstalling the OS would have gotten rid of one if I had missed it.

right click my computer --> properties and see what it currently is showing for your ram.

Appears to be 6GB under Computer properties. Went into the video card properties - it's showing Total Avail Graphics Memory 3071MB - Dedicated Video Memory 256MB - System Video Memory 0MB - Shared System Memory 2815MB.

It's a fairly shitty video card, but I wasn't planning on upgrading since I only used the computer for very limited old world stuff on Live, and never go in any of the new zones. I don't know what any of the above means though.

rck3kh.jpg

Here it says 6gigs?

Relooking over your last post I am drawing a major blank. You might try to re seat your ram sticks just for shits and giggles.

Do you run into same issues if you load up with WinEQ2 or Stock EQ Patcher?

Also - whenever I launch EQ, or MMOloader.exe - my display suddenly reverts to 8-bit color, and I need to go back into display options to return it to 32-bit.

What I have done:
Completely uninstalled Steam and EQ, reinstalled EQ.
Reinstalled the OS and all drivers.

When you reinstalled did you save your INI files? eqclient.ini and other ini files?

I've been using the stock EQ patcher because on the last reinstall Launcher was giving me some sort of error, so I just uninstalled it and am trying the original EQ patcher.

I went into the C: - I do have a windows.old folder, and that folder it would appear does contain duplicates of everything, including all the EverQuest files etc.

You might be getting false reading from EQ.. Download this
HTML:
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
, it will give you your true Clock speed, amount of ram and FSB (front side bus) speed.

If what you have installed int he machine doesnt show up there, I suggest taking the ram out and re-seating it like JJ said.

I just dbl checked what EQ reports for how much RAM i have, and its only reporting half the amount i actually have. I wouldnt worry about that part too much as everything else for EQ runs fine for me despite this.

Yea, I guess I'm unsure if it's a single problem with RAM which is relating to the slow zoning times, or if it's a larger problem which is also contributing to whatever makes the display switch to 8-bit color each time I load MMOloader or the EQ patcher.

Are you using the same resolution for your desktop and EQ?

Yup those are both the same. I may uninstall EQ and just try and patch all the game files fresh through the Launch Pad - maybe it's the version of EQ I'm starting with.

Although I've also tried twice to boot from the Vista reinstall disk, and it takes me directly to desktop and bypasses all boot options. Unsure. Dell fails. Or I do.

Is your BIOS setup to boot from the DVD/CD ROM first? or from HDD1?

HDD1 - so going into BIOS and selecting boot from DVD wasn't working - although I got to it now. Going to do the Launcher patching and see if it works.