Plat Spamers

They must be running some sort of macro that does a /who based on class or level, or something along those lines, and then slams tells to each. Come to think of it, I'm always anon and I never get tells.

Well I loaded ChatFilter up and set the ini file up with the gm963.com or whatever it is, and I haven't received a single plat spam tell since then. I use tell windows pretty exclusively. I will try a tell from another toon this evening to test if it is actually working or if I have just been extremely lucky :)

They must be running some sort of macro that does a /who based on class or level, or something along those lines, and then slams tells to each. Come to think of it, I'm always anon and I never get tells.

I am always anon and still get them now and then

I was gonna post the same statement this morning Jim but I didn't want to look like a fool if I was mistaken since sometimes I remove anon for various reasons :)

I think they just pull names from bots in high traffic zones like pok and randomly send tells.

ive done a /who platspammer a few times usally is a lvl 1 war in tutorial ... doubt its from high traffic zones, although that would be a good source. i suspect they get names from several sources, the general channels, and possably /who commands, /annon and /role seem to help but not prevent the spam. to be honest if i was a spammer i would use several sources for the macro to get teh word out to as many as possible...

I've always figured they had some type of automatic macro doing it cause I've gotten tells within 2 mins of logging in a few times...on one toon, then another. And I don't get them just in the common zones but its happened in far off places with only my toons in zone. And like I mentioned above, I'm usually anon ever since my best ingame friend told me its to stop people from tracking him and his 18 bots.

I've always figured they had some type of automatic macro doing it cause I've gotten tells within 2 mins of logging in a few times...on one toon, then another. And I don't get them just in the common zones but its happened in far off places with only my toons in zone. And like I mentioned above, I'm usually anon ever since my best ingame friend told me its to stop people from tracking him and his 18 bots.

Do you autojoin any of the general or serverwide channels? they could be kicking back getting the announce messages from one or more of them.

Quickest tell I ever got was 18 secs after I logged in (according to timestamp). So I'd be willing to guess that they are using people's names from the chat channels.

Quickest tell I ever got was 18 secs after I logged in (according to timestamp). So I'd be willing to guess that they are using people's names from the chat channels.

Which is one of the reasons I don't autojoin any channels. If I really want to see the inane chatter, I make the effort to join.

I do not join any channels and received a few. i still think high traffic zones, and you would be surprised how much traffic the tutorial gets.

I do not join any channels and received a few. i still think high traffic zones, and you would be surprised how much traffic the tutorial gets.

I've had about the same experience. Any static zone yields me tons of tells. Even some place as out of the way as Shadowhaven gets me lots of tells. Usually, being in an instance makes me tell-free, but not always even then...

OK a definitive answer here now on whether MQ2ChatFilter works on the plat spam, is it does. I added this entry in to the ini file Filter36=www.gm963.com, and then tried a tell from another of my toons with the chatfilter disabled at fiirst (plugin unloaded) then with the plugin loaded. With the plugin loaded, I did not get the tell at all from my other toon. This was with using tell windows, so in that mode it does work to filter the crap out.

Funny thing was , that with the MQ2ChatFilter plugin loaded on the toon I was sending the spam from, it would not display the line I was trying to type in, so ChatFilter works on outgoing tells also, so probably on everything you actually try to type.

I also tested it on partial matches and it does filter the entire tell on a partial string match.

OK a definitive answer here now on whether MQ2ChatFilter works on the plat spam, is it does. I added this entry in to the ini file Filter36=www.gm963.com, and then tried a tell from another of my toons with the chatfilter disabled at fiirst (plugin unloaded) then with the plugin loaded. With the plugin loaded, I did not get the tell at all from my other toon. This was with using tell windows, so in that mode it does work to filter the crap out.

Funny thing was , that with the MQ2ChatFilter plugin loaded on the toon I was sending the spam from, it would not display the line I was trying to type in, so ChatFilter works on outgoing tells also, so probably on everything you actually try to type.

I also tested it on partial matches and it does filter the entire tell on a partial string match.

Yes, it is a substring search, so any line of any chat with any set substring in it, gets filtered out (dropped) before displaying it (whether you are sending said line of text and it would normally echo, or you are receiving it, doesn't matter). The line will still be executed if you are the sender (such as a tell, or whatever), you just won't see it echoed.

I originally wrote it to easily filter out uber spam from mobs 'agro' lines, when moving in and out of agro range and hitting them multiple times per second, without worrying about toggling in-game filter options on/off depending on conditions.

Oops, I mean, I wrote it to be a better, configurable, badword filter!

Speaking of which... lol I did look at the plugin again, and see where I commented (to myself) to quickly write up the save option, but never actually did it. I'll get to it this weekend, heh.

Besides, I changed it some time back to use vectors instead, and never updated it here.

htw

Start checking what guilds are in the zone once you get a spam tell. I have noticed one guild in particular. I think they come in and from their log they get the spam log.

I've gotten tells when I was the only one in a zone so that might just be a coincidence with that guild.

PLATT SPAMMERS DIE!!

Plat spammers blow and it seems like the always on diffrent toon when send me tells not sure /report gana make um go away but if there reading this i /repot / pet evry time i get 1 lol only thing i found is i dont get them when /anon but alas most guilds wont let u role anon =/

I had my 4 traders up in the bazaar and decided to experiment with anon. I removed it on all 4 and within 45 min I had received not just 1 tell but 2 on all 4 traders. I put anon back and in the next hour received 1 tell only on just 1 of the toons. I removed it again and within 10 min received a tell on all 4. So, I'm convinced anon reduces the tells but doesn't eliminate them. Oh yeah, every single tell was from a different name but all advertising that same site we hate. I've stopped putting them on ignore since they change names so often.

I'd like to let you all know that, while Redshift Gaming does send tells in-game, the option to remove your name from our list does work. You can send the word 'remove' to our bot after receiving a tell, and that character should no longer receive any tells from us. If anyone receives a tell on a character that they're sure has been removed, please send me a message and we'll get it fixed up right away.

cronic