Piracy

orion949

Death From Above
Reaction score
http://news.techeye.net/internet/survey-rubbishes-piracy-myth

I always suspected this was the case since all my friends that share music also download shit from iTunes all non-stop as well.

Im about sick and tired of the snivling music industry crying about "lost revenue in the billions, blah, blah blah!" and all that shit. Two things:

1) All those P2P downloads DO NOT represent people that would have actually payed money for your shit. Mainly they are kids just downloading it simply because they can. I have like 2 gigs of shitty music on an external that I got from a buddy, never listen to it, and sure as fuck would never have purchased it. If there was no P2P at all whatsoever, they STILL would not buy your shit, they would just have smaller music collections of only their very favorite music. (probably be happier with it too!)

2) I see this new age of P2P as fair due after being ass raped through the 80s and 90s when these cocksuckers were selling CDs that cost a fucking nickel to produce, at anywhere from $14-$24 a pop at the corner Virgin store! You fucking greedy pieces of shit ass fucking some poor kid into buying an entire $18 CD just to get two decent songs off it! You reap what you sew you piles of shit so fuck you!!

Ok, Im all worked up and frothing at the mouth now so Im going to go download some shitty rap music that I dont even like, just on pure principle! (and some more Metallica just to piss off Lars)

Last edited:
A survey doesn't mean anything. It wont be answered 100% honestly.

I pirate shit all the time, and I know for a fact that means less money to the companies.

I live in a small town of approx 30k~ people and there is only 1 video store left open and I bet it's doing it rough too and all because people these days just pirate movies.

15 years ago piracy wasn't a big problem since not everyone had the internet and not many people had high speed internet. But these days just about everyone has high speed internet. Fuck I have high speed internet on my mobile phone.

Piracy is a huge problem (and as I said I'm part of the problem too) and I don't know how much it's hurting the big music/movie companies but I do know it's hurting the local video/music stores big time.

Just thinking about music and I just realised I have paid for maybe 3 music CDs in the past 10 years. Before I got fast speed internet I'd be buying music CDs all the time, I have a big collection of music CDs bust most of them were paid for in the 90's.

You can't honestly believe piracy is not hurting these companies. A survey is nothing to go by when anyone can give any answer they want, truth or lie.

A survey doesn't mean anything. It wont be answered 100% honestly.

Piracy is a huge problem (and as I said I'm part of the problem too) and I don't know how much it's hurting the big music/movie companies but I do know it's hurting the local video/music stores big time.

You can't honestly believe piracy is not hurting these companies. A survey is nothing to go by when anyone can give any answer they want, truth or lie.

Understand that "Big Media" got fucked by APPLE.....yes iTunes....not pirates...
And the Hollwood fags, got fucked not by pirates, but by agreeing to put their content on readily copy-able media...the same way its been since the invention of the phonograph and magnetic tape. All attempts to SUE grandma and her 2 grandaugters for 15million dollars for 200 songs, or sending "threat" letters to millions of citizens, telling them to send 5000$ or they will come after their children with pickaxes were illegal attempts at extortion.
Shot down by the Courts, and revealed as PURPOSEFUL attempts at redeeming money from Movies and content that performed POORLY at the box office and at the record store. They were VERY specific on going after P2P peeps sharing BAD SHITTY NO MONEY MAKING MOVIES. In other words...THEY SUCK DICK at business (vs apple) and they SUCK DONKEY DICK AT making worthwhile movies that people will actually GO SEE.

So your wrong, the prob is NOT piracy, its bad content.

I live in a small town of approx 30k~ people and there is only 1 video store left open and I bet it's doing it rough too and all because people these days just pirate movies.

Let me help you out here genius. I dont even know how the fuck you still have a video store in your podunk town unless maybe it is town full of hillbillys still using VCRs or something.

Piracy has absolutely nothing to do with video stores going out of business, its just natural progression of media delivery. Most modern humans today get their media via payed streaming sources like Netflix, Hulu, or direct download purchases. People dont got to video stores anymore, the closest thing to a video store these days would be RedBox.

Just like there are no more corner record stores selling vinyl and 8Traks there will soon be no video stores. Just the progression of how media is delivered absolutely nothing to do piracy whatsoever. Why the fuck would anybody go to a fucking video store when they can click a button and stream it direct to any fucking device I own. (for a fee not pirated!)

You can blame piracy for taking up too much of my hard drive space but you sure as FUCK cant blame it for the video and record stores going away!

Ok man I agree piracy does no harm and is good for business. Can I have my American citizenship now?

Piracy played a part in the demise of the video store but it wasn't the main thing. Netflix is to blame and the easy access to high speed internet made netflix possible. blockbuster ignored the signs stayed in the past and now the company is going to go out of business its just a matter of time. The truth is netflix has cheaper overhead because they don't have to have hundreds of stores to deliver content bandwidth is cheap now days.

Yea, I pirate things here and there and probably buy a very slight amount less because of it, but not much less. The industries played their cards wrong and I don't support how much they charge, or how much they give to the artists (in situations involving artists).

Movie theatres also piss me off. I'm in miami area and a soda and a movie is $15.

Let me help you out here genius. I dont even know how the fuck you still have a video store in your podunk town unless maybe it is town full of hillbillys still using VCRs or something.

Piracy has absolutely nothing to do with video stores going out of business, its just natural progression of media delivery. Most modern humans today get their media via payed streaming sources like Netflix, Hulu, or direct download purchases. People dont got to video stores anymore, the closest thing to a video store these days would be RedBox.

Just like there are no more corner record stores selling vinyl and 8Traks there will soon be no video stores. Just the progression of how media is delivered absolutely nothing to do piracy whatsoever. Why the fuck would anybody go to a fucking video store when they can click a button and stream it direct to any fucking device I own. (for a fee not pirated!)

You can blame piracy for taking up too much of my hard drive space but you sure as FUCK cant blame it for the video and record stores going away!

The amount of people paying for movies now, regardless of delivery, as compared to 15 years ago I would confidently say is so dramaticaly less it has lead to businesses closing.

I will say this, would you partly blame people breaking in and entering a premise causing propertly damage/loss and overall financial loss to a business... Or say that's just the way our society is going?

If a town with ~30k people is small, I wonder what you'd classify my area as. It has less than 8k... *listens for banjo music* I dun wanna squeal like a piggy....

Yes, I am a VIP member at several torrent and P2P sites. Yes I use them regularly.

But I am also an Amazon Prime member, an iTunes junkie and NetFlix-aholic.

I don't remember the last time I actually played an actual DVD, CD or BluRay. In fact I don't think I've ever actually used one of the BD players we have.

That's not because I pirate content. It's because I use that wonderful invention we call The Internet to get my content delivered to me.

99% of the time I use the torrent and P2P sites to preview content. If I like a show or movie or music the chances are ill actually buy it to enjoy the better quality of the 'legit' copy.

I'm sure piracy has caused a portion of the decline of the brick and mortar video or music shops. But the lack of content and availability of better quality without the clutter of physical media via legitimate download is more to blame.

Yes, I am a VIP member at several torrent and P2P sites. Yes I use them regularly.

But I am also an Amazon Prime member, an iTunes junkie and NetFlix-aholic.

Ditto. Minus the iTunes. I will not let Apple get it's claws on my PC.

I don't remember the last time I actually played an actual DVD, CD or BluRay. In fact I don't think I've ever actually used one of the BD players we have.

That's not because I pirate content. It's because I use that wonderful invention we call The Internet to get my content delivered to me.

99% of the time I use the torrent and P2P sites to preview content. If I like a show or movie or music the chances are ill actually buy it to enjoy the better quality of the 'legit' copy.

Also ditto, although I do remember the last movie I watched. 300 on blu-ray in my PS3! It rocks!

I'm sure piracy has caused a portion of the decline of the brick and mortar video or music shops. But the lack of content and availability of better quality without the clutter of physical media via legitimate download is more to blame.

The things I pirate are things I would not buy, or things I want to have before they are released. I pirated Game of Thrones, both seasons, before they were released. When Season 1 came out on Blu Ray, I bought it, will do the same with Season 2. Some movies I don't mind having, but have no intention of ever buying. They aren't on Amazon or Netflix so I keep a copy. Not to mention at least Netflix regularly pulls content from streaming due to changing licensing so I can't always rely on them having something.

Also, Games Workshop shit. The fucking price gougers get enough of my money in models, I DL the books.

Piracy played a part in the demise of the video store but it wasn't the main thing. Netflix is to blame and the easy access to high speed internet made netflix possible. blockbuster ignored the signs stayed in the past and now the company is going to go out of business its just a matter of time. The truth is netflix has cheaper overhead because they don't have to have hundreds of stores to deliver content bandwidth is cheap now days.

Piracy lead to so many of the every day to day things we use today like Hulu/netflix.

Those are attempts to counter piracy.

The amount of people paying for movies now, regardless of delivery, as compared to 15 years ago I would confidently say is so dramaticaly less it has lead to businesses closing.

I will say this, would you partly blame people breaking in and entering a premise causing propertly damage/loss and overall financial loss to a business... Or say that's just the way our society is going?

We have more movie theaters now. We spend more money at the movies now then we did 15 years ago. The problem is the US $$ is worth far less. So companies try to get more return out of it with increased prices making those that can go pay more, those that can not go well they just are sol.

WHEN I BUY A MOVIE I LIKE TO JUST WATCH THE MOVIE AND NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH DUMB ASS FBI WARNINGS SCREENS OR GAY FUCKING PREVIEWS. I WANT TO INSERT THE MEDIA AND HIT PLAY, DONE, AND HAVE THE ABILITY TO FORWARD AND REWIND AS I DID WITH VHS. A MENU IS ACCEPTABLE, BUT KEEP THAT OFF TO THE SIDE AND NOT AN AUTOMATIC START UP AFTER SAID PREVIEWS/SPLASH SCREENS.

I pirate fucking everything and I don't give a fuck.

If I really really like something, I'll buy it---like really good games.

Piracy hurts...the little folks.

The majority of the pain felt in movie/music piracy is felt by the small bands/labels/movie makers, and not by the big folks. Sure, 100s of millions of sales - 10mil potential sales lost due to piracy = no new 2013 lambo to replace the 2012 one in the showroom of the mansion. But when you take small companies / groups, and take out $$, it affects them more.

I have netflix, amazon prime and Dish. I plan on getting rid of Dish though when my contract runs out.

My issues with Dish are the same as my issues with music CDs. Out of the 300+ bullshit channels I have, I might want 5 total. I would rather pay half the price and get the 5 channels than support 300+ channels that I hate like, Oxygen, O, MSNBC, HSN, TLC, etc. When they offer me the option that I want I will come back to them. For now I will stick with netflix, amazon prime and soon to be hulu+.

My issue with Blockbuster video is that I had to pay $5.50 to watch any video and I could keep it for 5 days... This was the reason why new releases were never in and why the hell would I pay $5.50 when I could purchase the movie for another $10. When netflix and redbox started up and left Blockbuster forever and never looked back. They offered a service that I wanted for a price that I was willing to pay. Blockbuster is getting killed by Netflix and Redbox, not piracy. I don't even know anyone other than myself that understands torrents. The generation below me might, but the adult crowd that I hang with has no clue.

I am sure piracy hurts some, but it's not as wide spread of an issue as some people think. I think that Apple's Itunes, allowing people to purchase the song they want for a dollar, instead of buying an entire CD for 15+ hurts overall profits more. They were basically rapping us and now we can just buy what we want and avoid the rest of the garbage.

My Steam library is also packed with games. Granted very few of the games were purchased at full price. As a consumer, very few games are worth $60. I can just wait till they are $10 a year later and all of the bugs are worked out.

Last edited:
I am all for Piracy.

I know pirates get an extremely bad rep, but they are extremely honorable people. Codes that run deep. A hard days work put in every single day. Maintaining the ship, swabbing the poop deck, fighting the horrible effects of scurvy. It's a pirates life for me.