P99 and Daybreak News

Kodilynn

Master of Orion
Reaction score
Website
www.mmobugs.com
If you’ve ever looked for people playing EverQuest on Twitch, you’ll often find fans playing on the Project 1999 servers (often referred to as just P99) and engaging with other members of the community via their Twitch chat. Project 1999 is a fan-based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project.

The guys running Project 1999 are passionate fans of EverQuest and our work, and we’re fans of what they’ve been able to accomplish with support from the player community. So, we’d like to bring you the following announcement from the P99 crew:

“It’s been an exciting year for Project 1999 and we have some exciting news we’ve been really anxious to share with all of you. As some of you may be aware, in the past there has been both confusion and concern over the status of Project 1999. We have recently entered into a written agreement with Daybreak Game Company LLC that formally recognizes Project 1999 as a fan based, not-for-profit, classic EverQuest emulation project. The agreement establishes the guidelines that we as a project must follow, but it will allow to us continue to update the game without risk of legal repercussions. As a show of good faith to support the efforts of Daybreak Games, we have decided to reschedule our expansion release as to not conflict with the upcoming new progression server being released in the coming weeks. We would like to personally thank all the folks at Daybreak and acknowledge how awesome it is for a company to work with and embrace the creations of their fans. This is really something that’s unique in the gaming industry.”

To read the rest of the post, please visit the P99 forums.

We’re proud that the EverQuest community is one of the most passionate and engaged groups of players in the gaming world. We’re glad we were able to reach an agreement with the team behind the fan-based, not-for-profit emulation project as they continue to share their love of EQ with many.

https://www.everquest.com/news/project-1999-daybreak

------------------

An interesting nod to p99 considering Sony all but seemed to ignore them as long as they didn't charge. Never seen an official publication on them like that before. Wonder what transpired.

Some think it was created as a result of a CDC letter. Nothing confirmed though all rumor. Either way I think its pretty cool. :confused:

Some think it was created as a result of a CDC letter. Nothing confirmed though all rumor. Either way I think its pretty cool. :confused:

other then the crooked shit that goes on that server yea its cool.

think DBG knows the admins on the server create and sell plat to make a profit under the table ? :)

think DBG knows the admins on the server create and sell plat to make a profit under the table ? :)

Or the scans that go above and beyond what SOE/DBC do.

I mean seems to me they just opened themselves up to liability.

Lets hope all parties involved where smart enough to make contractual portions to cover those types of things.

There has been some people mentioning that they wanted the MQ2 detecting software that P99 uses.

I have never played on P99 but is there software that good? Assuming i did absolutely nothing but use the map, what is the likelihood of getting caught on P99?

There has been some people mentioning that they wanted the MQ2 detecting software that P99 uses.

I have never played on P99 but is there software that good? Assuming i did absolutely nothing but use the map, what is the likelihood of getting caught on P99?

Map only I can't really say, but our general stance when people ask for P99 is just don't risk it if you care. They're VERY aggressive about usage and from previous posts they actively scan your processes looking for it.

Map only I can't really say, but our general stance when people ask for P99 is just don't risk it if you care. They're VERY aggressive about usage and from previous posts they actively scan your processes looking for it.

Sorry. I worded my post horribly.

I don't plan on playing on P99. I plan on playing on EQ Live. I was just wondering what the general thoughts are about Daybreak taking the tech from P99 to detect MQ2.

Sorry. I worded my post horribly.

I don't plan on playing on P99. I plan on playing on EQ Live. I was just wondering what the general thoughts are about Daybreak taking the tech from P99 to detect MQ2.

One of the other threads here for P99 talks about how it goes after MQ2. The legality is in question if I recall correct.

I find it funny that people really believe Rogean and Nilbog are saints that do this for nothing in return other than notoriety and the joy of providing the 1999 EQ experience to random people and simply absorb the costs of running the server out of their own pockets.

There's been many credible accusations of them 'selling' things which they promptly covered up from former GM's / Dev's which is likely why Sony didn't want to take on any liability of dealing with them.

Seems like they've got Daybreak fooled, so kudos to Rogean for that.

Next I predict a special officially licensed P99 client with patcher.

Shortly after that with some code sharing / money changing hands, P99 will start showing up on the server select for Daybreak as a premium service.

Feels like that's what this announcement is setting us up for.

Ragefire simply is not P99 by a long shot.

Good Game

Thought P99 was meant to be "Project 99" ... why would it compete with a progression server?

P99 is fucking retarded. Vanilla Verant style or GTFO. Nothing else is "classic" AND a community contribution open effort to properly recreate that era should be made. Available to all.

One of the other threads here for P99 talks about how it goes after MQ2. The legality is in question if I recall correct.

P99 has a DLL built specifically for finding hacking tools, by scanning your processes. It can go as far as telling them what folder you have EQ installed in too or if you are using other 3rd party programs such as IPVanish. (They do not allow 2 boxing)

They don't fuck around when it comes to enforcing there rules that's for sure.

-G

Last edited:
I find it funny that people really believe Rogean and Nilbog are saints that do this for nothing in return other than notoriety and the joy of providing the 1999 EQ experience to random people and simply absorb the costs of running the server out of their own pockets.

There's been many credible accusations of them 'selling' things which they promptly covered up from former GM's / Dev's which is likely why Sony didn't want to take on any liability of dealing with them.

Seems like they've got Daybreak fooled, so kudos to Rogean for that.

Next I predict a special officially licensed P99 client with patcher.

Shortly after that with some code sharing / money changing hands, P99 will start showing up on the server select for Daybreak as a premium service.

Feels like that's what this announcement is setting us up for.

Ragefire simply is not P99 by a long shot.

Good Game

Thought id burn in hell before I agreed with this guy. On anything