Official Recession Thread

So I'm gonna run out of money in September if I don't get into grad school and get a teaching fellowship to go with it.

Today I got the following email from the director of a program I applied to that offers teaching fellowships to all their students and that pays very well:

"Your writing sample is getting high marks from our Admissions Committee, so while we are waiting for the application to complete its run through the course, I thought you might have some questions for me about the writing life in (town the program is in). Look forward to hearing from you. Take care,"

As encouraging as this is (this school has a 4.74% acceptance rate, making it more competitive than Harvard Law School), it made me want to scream "JUST ADMIT ME DUDE," because I'm so hard up for an acceptance (and the financial security that will allow me to look forward to) that this kind of note just strikes me as more torture.

Beginning of last year WAS a hellishly tough time in Australia, but I think it might be looking up. Our business took a huge downturn late 2008, and only started picking up again in maybe September 2009. Still not what it was, but job situation in Australia is better than in a lot of countries. We're climbing out of the hole across the world, but it takes time I guess :(.

Hang in there you guys.

So I'm gonna run out of money in September if I don't get into grad school and get a teaching fellowship to go with it.

Today I got the following email from the director of a program I applied to that offers teaching fellowships to all their students and that pays very well:

"Your writing sample is getting high marks from our Admissions Committee, so while we are waiting for the application to complete its run through the course, I thought you might have some questions for me about the writing life in (town the program is in). Look forward to hearing from you. Take care,"

As encouraging as this is (this school has a 4.74% acceptance rate, making it more competitive than Harvard Law School), it made me want to scream "JUST ADMIT ME DUDE," because I'm so hard up for an acceptance (and the financial security that will allow me to look forward to) that this kind of note just strikes me as more torture.

Grats. Which one of my posts did you c&p to them?

There probably should be an anti-recession thread....

They just reinstated bonuses and pay raises at my company. All "deserving" managers will get bonuses.

I hope I'm in that category!! ;)

What kind of company you work for Alex?

BB

I thought you might have some questions for me about the writing life in (town the program is in). Look forward to hearing from you. Take care,"

Sounds like a test.
If I asked that during an interview, it wouldn't be because I was curious or trying to help, it would be to examine the answers and determine where their priorities and skills are.

There probably should be an anti-recession thread....

They just reinstated bonuses and pay raises at my company. All "deserving" managers will get bonuses.

I hope I'm in that category!! ;)

I'll second this. I received a small bonus this year. It was about a quarter of my previous bonus, but all things considered, it is very much welcomed.

True enough, Kachiko. But these programs are pretty purely merit-based admissions and it's your recommendations/personal statements that are supposed to play the role of confirming that you're not insane or a jerk. Interviews aren't really done pre-enrollment.

Not to mention that given the extreme competitiveness of these programs, sending someone an email like this one and then rejecting them would probably cause a few suicides.

I did, however, respond with a concise and thoughtful letter that included the best honest questions I had, as well as a little bit of reflection about why I thought the program was such a good fit for me.

The company I work for is doing better now than before the recession.

On that note they are also using the recession excuse not to give raises or bonuses, and lay people off.

Medical and Dental Insurance...however we are uncertain about the future and the impacts of Obamacare... :confused:

I'm right there with you Dear. Only 2 years left till I return to the job market, in the medical field. Frightening to think what could happen over night to the medical practices nation wide, over night.

BB

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in my completely unwelcome east coast liberal endorsement of healthcare reform:

Can't be any worse than it is now!

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in my completely unwelcome east coast liberal endorsement of healthcare reform:

Can't be any worse than it is now!

Go into a local AAA branch office....then go into your local DMV. I'll take private sector over gov't every time...for everything.

Go into a local AAA branch office....then go into your local DMV. I'll take private sector over gov't every time...for everything.

lol till you can't afford to pay for it. then you get the bum's healthcare system. It's called Thunderbird and vino.

Of course I'm on the younger end of the scale and have 0 desire to keep paying for all the people in Medicare/Medicaid without actually being able to get it. but that's not what this thread is about ;p

yeay for student loans while the dollar is worth poop! Now if only we can hold this for the next 2 years while I finish school. yea I know it sucks for everyone else but it makes it nice for me (and anyone else getting loans) ;p

Don't worry kirban, im very middelish leaning liberal, so your not alone!

Anyone not towards the middle is just gullible =p

I have here an orange in one hand and an apple in the other.

Amen, Carba.

I can think of a shitton of businesses that make me cringe at the idea of the private sector running anything that matters. Pretty close to the top of the list would be private health insurance companies in the US.

But alas, the ideological gulf that exists between myself and anyone who votes republican is not going to bridged on MMOBugs.

Fuck the recession and I wish every one of us without a stable job a speedy path back to gainful employment.