Noob Question About Monks

Smarty

I R Der Fer I Is
Reaction score
Is there any benefit to monks using ONLY hand 2 hand weapons? Or is it worth while to just use the higher dmg 1hbs since the delay is only a few more?

no benefit to h2h over 1hb unless it has a special effect you want.

Hand to hand benefit left long time ago when Knuckle Dusters came out in Kunark

Thats what i thought! just wanted to make sure before i F'ed myself =P

Monks have an innate damage increase with H2H weapons, which is why they continue to make H2H weapons, instead of just allowing them to use 1HB weapons. I've heard nothing about this increase no longer being in the game.

Odd

Monks have an innate damage increase with H2H weapons, which is why they continue to make H2H weapons, instead of just allowing them to use 1HB weapons. I've heard nothing about this increase no longer being in the game.

I thought that only applied to actually bare handed fighting and not to H2H weapons. Wasnt that why they started putting out really nice H2H weapons? The KD back in its day was nice, but a 50 or was 60 monk back in Kunark days had a better ratio barehanded. When really nice 1HB came out that were monk usable they needed a way to keep monk training in h2h so the weapons were made with similar ratio to the blunts.

At least that's how I remember it, I was a monk back when cap was 60 but lost track after that until GK. Now I rarely use the monk account.

Yeah I don't remember there being any direct damage bonus to H2H weapons either. However, I don't know if this still stands true or not but at one time monks H2H skill cap was a bit higher than their 1HB cap. So if you were capped in both and you had a 1HB with the same exact ratio as a H2H weapon, your damage with the H2H weapon would be slighlty more.

Also I know they did increase monk fists yet again at some point though because when I did the progression server as a monk, at level 65 in PoP my fists were better than the old 15 / 20, something more like 23 / 15, and no weapon in PoP could even touch that ratio.

Last edited:
I could definitely be wrong then. What I remember was pre-Kunark - when you could get White Treant Fists from PoSky. The big appeal was you actually had a weapon graphic in your hand, but you still got the innate H2H bonus from being a monk.

Yeah I don't remember there being any direct damage bonus to H2H weapons either. However, I don't know if this still stands true or not but at one time monks H2H skill cap was a bit higher than their 1HB cap. So if you were capped in both and you had a 1HB with the same exact ratio as a H2H weapon, your damage with the H2H weapon would be slighlty more.

This could easily be what I'm thinking of.

TMK no bonus was ever given straight out to H2H but as Dev said it had a higher cap. Nothing compared to a lvl 60 monks hands for weapons. Don't think the Knuckle Duster was really better at least to Duel Wield.

With the release of House of Thule, monks get a new passive AA called Fists of Steel. Increases the amount of damage done by hand to hand attacks (at rank 3 it adds 100 damage per hit to h2h attacks) and has a chance to proc Fists of Fury (a 2 tick hundred hands effect, decrease in weapon delay of 15%). Think of Fists of Fury as a mini speed focus that procs about twice a min. So, H2H comes out on top with this passive AA.

Last edited:
h2h vs. 1hb

I have played a monk for about 8 years, post PoP days i have always had better returns from H2H with the same ratio as 1hb's. Over the years though the Delay of H2H weps has dropped more signifigantly than 1hb weps of the same tier. As a monk the when you have wepons with a similar or close RATIO the wep with the lower delay of the two typically produces more dps because of the more hits per second/round of comat. Additionally as mentioned before House of Thule introduced a line of AA's that proc's a HH effect (which inturn yields more dps on a lower delay wep) and adds 100 dmg at max rank to H2H wep hits. Thus at higher levels, lets say 60+ H2H wepons produce more dmg as long as the ratios you are dealing with between a H2H and a 1hb are the same or similar. This is all based off my experiences, knowledge and parses others could have different results but i doubt they would fluxuate much from my own findings. One can also head over to monkly buisness and see alot of testamonial on the topic there.

You will proc the same amount if you are slowed as you will if you are not.

it's based on a "procs per minute" style system.