Nearest Spawn from Target's perspective

kram337

Reaction score
I'm trying to modify some of my macros to allow me safer and faster means of accomplishing goals. One major issue I've never resolved, but have worked around in questionable ways, is the ability to check the "NearestSpawn" from the perspective of my target.

If I /echo ${NearestSpawn[npc radius 1000].Distance}
It will return with the distance of the spawn nearest me.

I want to be able to have something that will return the distance of the nearest spawn from my target's (or my target's loc) point of view.

Something like /echo ${NearestSpawn[npc radius 100 loc X Y Z].Distance}
Or perhaps /echo ${NearestSpawnToTarget[npc radius 1000].Distance}

Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be done?

(doh; please keep in mind I wrote the base for this code over 2 years ago)

Hold the phone. I actually found the code for what I'm asking in my own damn script.

/echo (${SpawnCount[PC loc ${Target.X} ${Target.Y} radius 1200 noalert 3]}>0)

So scratch my original question. You can specify a loc when checking spawn counts/nearest spawns. Now that I see this I remember the issue I was having with it. It was never very reliable.

What I'm doing is checking a target to see if any other PC's are near it. I want to know if they have LOS or are simply within 1000-1200 (a viewable distance). When I was using the method above it would often return FALSE when in fact it was TRUE.

Obviously for what I'm doing, any inaccuracies are unacceptable. So I wrote code to get around this. I guess I'm revisiting this issue due to the recent crashes I've been having. I did post about the crashes as you may have seen.

I suppose the new question is this:
Anybody know from personal experience whether or not checking the spawncount of a loc other than your own is reliable these days? I'd love to weed out the need for stealth/warp/check spawns. But I can't do that without very thorough testing and I dont have the hours on hand right now for that process.

It only took a minute in pok to know that:
${NearestSpawn[pc loc ${Target.X} ${Target.Y}]}

Doesn't actually give you the nearest spawn from the targets perspective. Hmmm spawn count seems to work. But you can't check line of sight off a spawncount call.

Any suggestions?

Line of Sight is pretty weak in general. It gets bugged really easy.

You could
/stealth on
/warp loc x y z
/face Heading
/checknpc
/stealth reset
/do next part of code.

Line of Sight is pretty weak in general. It gets bugged really easy.

You could
/stealth on
/warp loc x y z
/face Heading
/checknpc
/stealth reset
/do next part of code.

That's exactly what I am doing :) and it works great. I thought my crashing issue was in relation to the /stealth functionality. So I was looking for a way to avoid using it.

After more troubleshooting, looks like thats not the cause of my issue. It'd still be nice to avoid the extra warping and stealthing, but if its not as safe I wont bother avoiding it.

Warping in stealth is 100% safe as long as you /stealth reset at the end.

Stealth is entirely client side movement, they can't see you.

Warping in stealth is 100% safe as long as you /stealth reset at the end.

Stealth is entirely client side movement, they can't see you.

It is an active hack so you cannot say its 100% safe.

When used properly, there is absolutely no way to get caught using stealth, as far as anyone can tell, you are just standing there. I'm not even sure it can be considered an active hack, as it doesn't actively send anything to the server.

If you loot or talk or something thats different, but just looking around...

Unless you can tell me some way possible to get caught? Leet GM hackers hack into your computer and watch you do it, or stand outside your window?

When used properly, there is absolutely no way to get caught using stealth, as far as anyone can tell, you are just standing there. I'm not even sure it can be considered an active hack, as it doesn't actively send anything to the server.

Unless you can tell me some way possible to get caught? Leet GM hackers hack into your computer and watch you do it, or stand outside your window?

Your a dumb ass.

Insert next reply

Your still a dumb ass. Just because its low risk does not make it undetectable. You still flash at times while using stealth.

Out of the thousands of times i have seen it use, I have never seen a toon flash(once again, unless they are looting or interacting with world).

As far as I can tell it just kills your output to the server, so, if nothing is being sent to the server, they can't catch you.

You have to edit the memory in order to do that. You may not see it on our end but things are changing. You can still get caught. If ghosting(stealthing) was not an active hack it would be in plugin form on www.macroquest2.com.

Another way to do NearestSpawn to the target is simply do ${Target.NearestSpawn[npc]}

That being said, if you use the los arg in the spawn search it's still going to return based on your characters line of sight. As said before stealthing and warping to the target is the only way to get los from it's perspective but it's still buggy. And also if the target is far enough away from you will not be accurate anyway. Anything over a certian distance (I'm not sure the exact distance, I think it's around 600 maybe 1200 at most) away from you only gets it's location updated periodically, unless you target it. So thie spawns around a spawn may be outdated so to speak until the next periodic update of spawn locations comes in.

This why if you watch a spawn on the map far away it will occasionally warp instead of walking smoothly from place to place.

Some way possible to get caught? I've never tested it, but I bet if you got summoned while stealth was on it would warp back to the place where you turned it on at. The way I understand mq2stealth to work, and this could be completely wrong, is that when eq is supposed to send the packet on your location information, it sends a false packet saying you are still standing / facing where you were when you turned it on. If this is the way it works I dont know if it has the capability of updating that location upon being summoned or not.

From the FAQ:

MQ2Stealth
- Move around Client Side only avoiding agro on mobs.

Client side only, please tell me, is it possible to get caught doing something client side only?

Either way, your beliefs don't have enough backing to merit you calling someone an idiot.

Another way to do NearestSpawn to the target is simply do ${Target.NearestSpawn[npc]}

That being said, if you use the los arg in the spawn search it's still going to return based on your characters line of sight. As said before stealthing and warping to the target is the only way to get los from it's perspective but it's still buggy. And also if the target is far enough away from you will not be accurate anyway. Anything over a certian distance (I'm not sure the exact distance, I think it's around 600 maybe 1200 at most) away from you only gets it's location updated periodically, unless you target it. So thie spawns around a spawn may be outdated so to speak until the next periodic update of spawn locations comes in.

This why if you watch a spawn on the map far away it will occasionally warp instead of walking smoothly from place to place.

I assume that warping works by sending a packet saying "hey im over here now!". Well, when you lag you don't send packets for a second or whatever, and GMs are going to see a packet saying "hey im over here now!". The only way i figure they can tell is if you warp a good distance, that much lag would DC you.

Some way possible to get caught? I've never tested it, but I bet if you got summoned while stealth was on it would warp back to the place where you turned it on at. The way I understand mq2stealth to work, and this could be completely wrong, is that when eq is supposed to send the packet on your location information, it sends a false packet saying you are still standing / facing where you were when you turned it on. If this is the way it works I dont know if it has the capability of updating that location upon being summoned or not.

You have a good point, but I doubt that a GM could tell the difference between warping 5 feet and lagging.

I assume that warping sends out a packet saying "hey im over here now!". When you lag, you don't send packets for a second or whatever, and when they do get it, its gonna say "hey im over here now!", which would make warping, over short distances only of course, indistinguishable from lagging.

Theory of course, am I close htw?

Last edited:
I wrote something like this a while ago when targetting static mobs and i wanted to be sure I wouldn't get adds:

Code:
     /target ${mobName} npc loc ${mobX} ${mobY} radius ${mobRadius} LoS
     /if (${Target.ID}) {
         /if (!${Target.NearestSpawn[npc radius ${mobSafeRadius}].ID}) {
             /return
         } else {
             /echo ${Target.NearestSpawn[npc radius ${mobSafeRadius}].CleanName} too close.
         }
      }

Its the ${Target.NearestSpawn[]} bit that you need to play with for your situation.