MQ2Main is locked...?

Camdenbrown

Premium Member
Reaction score
I keep trying to update and it tells me my MQ2Main is locked, and I can't update... I've tried updating my computer and restarting. I even downloaded a new compile.

Please help!

Attachments

• mq2main.PNG
    mq2main.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 18
Maybe the location of the file has it set as read only or something preventing it from updating.

I had to do a full reboot then start mmoloader before opening anything else. That did it for me.

I tried both those and still doesn't seem to be working for me. Confused...

I tried this but don't see anything unusual. Wow, this is super annoying.

Anyone have anymore ideas? I can't update my files anymore...

I got the same problem. MMObugs says my eq client and mmobugs aren't compatible and EQ is up to date but mmobugs wont update and when I try to manually update it says the mq2main.dll file is locked so it wont even try.

I'm having this problem now. Did anyone ever find a fix for it? It happened after the loader kicked everyone off and Fry posted a new loader the other day. Since then the auto updater has been busted.

Edit 1 (8 Mins later): I've created a second copy of the compile. I've moved it to a USB key. MMOLoader claims MQ2Main.DLL is locked or in use. However, even with mmoloader open I can right click mq2main.dll and delete it. So it is definitely not in use. UAC is off. DEP is off. So no permissions are even checked when the file is run. Can't be permissions issue.

Edit 2: I've cacl'd (If you don't know the full command don't bother. You can screw your computer up badly with one misplaced character. It stands for change access levels if you must know and the command changes from time to time in windows versions) all files in compile to full admin status in case you have proprietary code checking user groups. No luck.

Solution Found: Not sure why as the exe is obsfuscated and I don't feel like reversing it. But something in the source code doesn't take into account User Access Control properly. If you move your compile to C:\Users\Public\Games it will work correctly (I have UAC completely off and run no firewall or virus protection, I like barebacking with the internet, so this makes absolutely no sense at all unless you have hard coded paths instead of using the provided environment variables). Placing it on an external drive, or network mapped drive isn't enough. Even though these are both completely free of UAC. It WILL NOT update a second time. Update will run fine once. Then fail after. Putting in Public directory under games seems to work over and over again fine.

I'm also not sure why. But MMOLoader seems to inject MQ2Main.dll into the processes for Firefox and Chromes background services as well. Guess I need to pay attention to my web browser threads and see why Macroquest would need access to all my web browsers. This is behavior that generally gets software classified as malware from heuristic scanning. So if there is a good reason for it. Might wanna post it real clearly on the download. I know Norton and Comodo at least would pop it as suspicious (I've worked with both companies in my time at a major ISP).

Last edited: