MQ2EQBCS problem

SiegeTank

Lifetimer
Reaction score
I used to use this a couple of years ago and I'm trying to re-install it. I am able to load up the BCS server on one computer, and I've properly bound it to that computer's local IP address (192.168.1.#). I can log onto the chat channel from that computer, both via the Interface.exe and in-game.

Now from a second computer, I can log into the chat channel using the Interface.exe OUT OF GAME but if I try to log on from within EQ, I get unable to connect. I am plugging in MQ2EQBC from the game and that goes thru fine.

So the jist of the problem is I can log in using the Interface.exe from the second computer but not from within game. The log-in connections show up in the Interface.exe windows on both computers. (I can "see" both log-ins on both computers in the Interface.exe window.) But in-game only the server's account shows a log-in in-game and that's for the EQ client running on that same computer.

This is perturbing. I did check both the router port forwarding and the firewall settings on my Norton 360. I did notice there is a default firewall "rule" for the host computer (the one running MQ2EQBCS server) but no mention of MQ2EQBC on the second computer. But I don't think firewall is an issue for the second computer... or is it?

GRC.com (checks your ports for open, closed or stealth) shows port 2112 is in stealth mode on the server computer. Should it be showing as open?

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Take it out of stealth mode. In stealth, it'll just silently ignore the connection (instead of refusing it). The client computer would eventually time out (if coded correctly), but won't know during that time that the connection is not allowed - just looks like lag (waiting).

htw

Well, stealth port was NOT the problem. I don't really know WHAT fixed it---exactly---but I was able to log on successfully after rebooting both computers. Which reminds me that rebooting is always a good potential solution to try "when all else fails." After rebooting port 2112 is still coming up as "stealth" by GRC so that wasn't the problem, although I appreciate the response.

Another question: is there any benefit to using password for logging on if the only PCs involved are those in my home? I did set the port forwarding to restrict access only to computers physically on my network. That good enough security?

Well, stealth port was NOT the problem. I don't really know WHAT fixed it---exactly---but I was able to log on successfully after rebooting both computers. Which reminds me that rebooting is always a good potential solution to try "when all else fails." After rebooting port 2112 is still coming up as "stealth" by GRC so that wasn't the problem, although I appreciate the response.

Another question: is there any benefit to using password for logging on if the only PCs involved are those in my home? I did set the port forwarding to restrict access only to computers physically on my network. That good enough security?
That's good. Still would be best to open that port, instead of stealth (at least to local PCs), so mq2eqbcs gets a response instead of timeout, if server is not running.

Great to hear you got it working though.

IMO, don't worry about a password - restricting it to your local LAN is good.

htw

Problem is I don't know HOW to unstealth it. When I run GRC's scan, every single port I check comes up stealth. I'm wondering if the port is seen as stealth from outside my network---since that's where GRC scans from---but responds from within the network. That's the best I can come up with since everything works so far...

Problem is I don't know HOW to unstealth it. When I run GRC's scan, every single port I check comes up stealth. I'm wondering if the port is seen as stealth from outside my network---since that's where GRC scans from---but responds from within the network. That's the best I can come up with since everything works so far...
Ahh, my bad. You are probably fine then. I thought you meant your firewall status on the system was showing a rule for the port in stealth. :)

htw