Move EQ log folder to new directory

PeteSampras

Your UI is fucking you. Stop using it.
Reaction score
Some guys asked the question if it can be done, so here is how to do it based on threads on SOE forums:

1. Rename or delete your current logs folder.
2. Open a command prompt with administrative privileges (right click on Command Prompt, run as Administrator).
3. Type mklink /D "C:\Games\EverQuest\logs" "D:\Somewhere Else"

As a note, this can even be used to move the logs to an entirely different drive. I didn't want my logs constantly writing to my SSD, so I used this command to link the log folder to a directory I set up on my mechanical HDD.

mklink /D "C:\Games\EverQuest\logs" "F:\Somewhere Else"

When you do this to move logging to another drive, it increases in game lag a bit. Very noticable during raids.

Ya, pick your poison. Unless you are parsing eqdkp, i would use mq2logging function instead if you need to log stuff.

When you do this to move logging to another drive, it increases in game lag a bit. Very noticable during raids.

That explains alot. Ever since I've had SSD's I've been logging to my HD. Guess I'll have to start buying those 64GB SSD's that are dirt cheap for my next build and put them in raid .

For those who install as default, would the command line look something more like this?

Code:
mklink /D "C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\EverQuest\logs" "D:\Everquest Logs"

I'd just go cheap with it, since logs aren't necessarily critical, but a 'want' feature.

Get https://dataram.wufoo.com/forms/qg1zufg0gebhw2/ and set up a small one, like 1 gig or something. Set it up to activate on boot.
Redirect log(s) to what you set up.
Set a login option to copy logs from a backup HDD/SDD location to the ramdisk.
Set a scheduled task to copy the ramdisk logs to the backup location every so often.

Take like 5 minutes tops.

htw

As an alternative, instead of the $10, you can use this one:

Tools and utilities for Windows

imdisk.png

JUP6xhrAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Last edited:

I haven't experienced this, even while raiding with the entire raid's damage being logged.

I haven't experienced this, even while raiding with the entire raid's damage being logged.

I don't notice it on a single box. If I load up a few boxes tho while raiding on my main, it's very noticable. Turn logging back on SSD (same drive EQ is installed on) and it goes away.