Magician Beam Kiting

hot_love_bot

Premium Member
Reaction score
Where have you been beam kiting on your mage? I have found Windsong to be pretty good exp up to level 100. Have any of you found a way to do it effectively without a snarer? Maybe a mob pathing glitch?

People over in the Sony forums were complaining about Mages doing the old Icefall trick in the new EW. Apparently it's a big enough zone and enough mobs for it to work.

How do you beam kite, isn't it a frontal arc spell? And doesn't do much dmg (10-12k non crit), seems like you would run out of mana on the 600k-1mill hp trash mobs, or am I missing something?

How do you beam kite, isn't it a frontal arc spell? And doesn't do much dmg (10-12k non crit), seems like you would run out of mana on the 600k-1mill hp trash mobs, or am I missing something?

a blue mob with 600khp and a blue mob with 120k hp gives basically the same xp. Pick a lower level zone where you can kill fast.

Field of Scale
Ferrot - if your good
Kesora Library

If you have Rk3's and high focus you can hit some VoA zones.

Mobs run pretty fast these days, do you have time to turn around and face the mob and get a cast off and still do it well without snare?

Hard to find a zone these days with a ton blue con mobs that aren't casters, they always tend to lag behind the swarm.

I have a magician I play at level 87 and wouldn't have the first idea where to try to beam kite..

I do like the tactical advise of using the merc to chain heal and then you stand there and tank it.

If anyone has any tactics they'd care to share please do as this seems like a very interested way of leveling.

What's the icefall trick?

When you pull so many mobs that it lags out the entire zone server and basically causes the mobs to get frozen in place. It takes a LOT of mobs and it helps if the zone is huge/has high graphics requirements.

Note: a great way to piss off other players and get shit nerfed. Just ask the wizards.

I have a magician I play at level 87 and wouldn't have the first idea where to try to beam kite..

I do like the tactical advise of using the merc to chain heal and then you stand there and tank it.

If anyone has any tactics they'd care to share please do as this seems like a very interested way of leveling.
1. suspend merc or keep up

2. make sure have following AA's:
a. first spire
b. acute focus of arcane
c. Fire core ( should be maxed )
d. improve Twin cast
3. load up best AE spells;
a. Beam of XXX
b. deluge of thunderbolt

4. goto field of scale, kesoria library, kurns tower
5. announce in /ooc : mage is going to be swarming
6. piss mobs off ( start small and work way up to a comfortable amount )
7. get them rounded up in a straight line coming towards at u
8. hit twin cast aa key
9. beam and AE till dead
10. make fat Regular or AAXP

Last edited:
Thanks for the strat detail. Gonna try this out.

I just noticed level 97 spell:

Beam of Brimstone
Description:
1: Decrease Hitpoints by 9113

Is this correct? 9113 is a HUGE increase from the level 93 version. Granted, the mobs you'd have to engage at 97 probably require a big jump. At 97 can u still get aaxp from doing this in Field of Scale, I wonder? With this big a jump in dps, I would guess you could slay a lot more mobs a lot faster... my mage is a level away from trying out this spell...